Etymology of Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by flamepanther, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the Marvel comics origin, Unicron was a fallen god right?

Unicorn was one of the Babylonian gods. I remember reading about this, but now I can't find the book. I can recall however that It was said he had one horn, that explans the name, but does not go along with the Transformer character design. Anyhow, that's were I always thought they took the name from, it seemed to fit in well with the comic origin.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This is true.
    Well, actually you'd be comparing "chronos" and "cronos". Unicron is closer to "cronos".
    Yes, but he was created for the animated Sunbow universe, in which he is merely a god-like machine and not actually a god.
    I can't find any such reference. Since the word "unicorn" is a Latin compound word, I am inclined to doubt that its origins are Akkadian (the language spoken in ancient Babylon), which is a Semetic language.

So... nobody has any thoughts yet on Kroni?

3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    so, Unicron overthrew Ur-anus...sounds painful.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

First of all, relax.

Remember, what's the origins of the Constructicons according to the G1 toon? Consistancy and accuracy weren't necessary hallmarks for the scripts.

In all likelyhood, this is a reverse Etymology; Unicron was probably a mishmash name rather than a symbolic name chosen like Optimus Prime, as something that a group thought sounded good. If, indeed it was specifically chosen with an Etymology, in all likelyhood, it was the latin conjoining of uni and chron; but was simplified into cron not as a mix up or confusion over the other form, but for simplification for marketing and other purposes, and to hide it's origin a bit more subtlely, or even due to a writers typo that became the used version. (Liege Maximo anyone?) However, I'd wager far more likely that it was just a mishmash name that was approved of, possibly from a list rather than chosen for its deeper meaning. After all, he was essentially a gimmick for the movie, not some well thought out in advance character. Hell, it could even be a play on Unicorn, imagine the board demanding a good name, something strong and mythic, that when said conjures only that imag into peoples minds. You say Unicron, everyone knows what you mean. Then, with that, the lazy writer flips the letters, and there you go. Any latin origin that could be applied is simple coincidence.

Other TF's clearly had well thought out names with Latin inspirations (Which is the genesis of my own username), but somehow I don't really see Unicron being one of them, despite how easy it fits.

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hmm. kinda dig cron coming from cronos, never occured to me.

6. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome theories guys..

but since he was a destruction deity.. maybe his name is also a play on the fact he's reducing thing until there is only one? That he's the only one thing left in existence? A creature that's sole purpose is to reduce and consume all things in a continual absorbsion to a point of singular nothingness.

Puts a new spin on 'Till all are one'.

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Holy shit, I never thought of that.

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Re: the closeness of the word Unicron to Unicorn -

On the Official Soundtrack, the version of the theme song by Lion has the singer referring to the 'evil Unicorn', presumably mis-reading the list of character names given to him by Hasbro.

I notice it every time I listen to it, and it just sounds stupid :lol 

9. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

My my, so many theories. But if latin was a consideration, does that explain Optimus Prime's name?

10. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

All good theories. My guess is that it was a play on the word unicorn but with the letters switched, but I like flamepanther's ideas, gives Unicron a much more grand design which fits him better.

11. flamepanther

Optimus = Best
    Prime = first, or most important

He's the best of the Autobots and their Supreme Commander (most important). So yes, I'd say Optimus Prime is easily explained :) 

12. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    In contrast to Omega Supreme, LAST Best.

13. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

Maybe it's in the sense of "saving the best for last"?

Consider how he travels in the cartoon:

First his rocket launches from its pad while the track and tank stay behind. Then he somehow teleports track and all to his new location after he's landed.

Furthermore, the motorized tank was the toy's main action feature, hence the 'best' part of the toy arrives last.

14. flamepanther

I think Omega Supreme got his name because Hasbro didn't expect to ever make a bigger Transformer than that. I imagine the "Supreme" size class of toy inherits that name for the same reason.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And his pre-Optimus name, Orion Pax, can be read as Hunter of Peace, which seems appropriate.

16. flamepanther

Ooh, good point!

17. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Now, do you think writers chose these names conciously, or just by coincidence?

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    There's an article, or used to be an article around here about the Marvel guys who were hired by Hasbro and essentially did all the character work for the original run of characters, coming up with the names, tech specs, bios, etc. Then that info was used (or ignored) as the basis for the rest of the media, the comics, the cartoons, etc. Not the other way around. The old rule about the Toys coming first is rather true here, they had their tech specs long before the TV show happened.

But, that's only for the original 2 waves or so, then they just used the laid down template and had other people come up with the rest of the figures/characters. You around the time of the movie figures when they were no longer used, as the tech specs went up and the richness of the bio went down fo personality traits. You go from fairly balanced tech specs for each figure, to these ludicrisly high numbers; Hot Rod's tech specs made him far beyond the original Optimus Prime, which continued until now we get straight 10's (Or 1 9 and the rest 10) for the leaders, as well as having things like characters who are homesick, or have their doubts about the war, to characters who only want to race, or loves TV!

So, yes, the names and characterization were carefully and cleverly chosen at first. Now, it's mainly following nomenclature and keeping copyrights.

19. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Here's what I think

Uni=Universe.
    Cron=Sounds like an evil alien surname.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unicron: "Yes it's true, I was born with only one cron."

(Source: Toyfare Magazine)