Etymology of Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by flamepanther, Feb 25, 2007.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Has anyone ever said definitively how the name "Unicron" was chosen? I have a vague theory, but I'd like to know if there's an official answer first.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the horns....

Or something. But I'm interested in your theory.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Well Uni, first Transformer if you follow the comic book, most powerful, that works... -cron, well... -tron was taken, I guess.

A friend of mine still claims it was one of the writers in a moment of dyslexia who tried to name him Unicorn

4. flamepanther

I considered that, but that would make it a variation of the word "Unicorn" which is hardly menacing, and would imply that he has only one horn, which is not the case.

"Uni" = "One"
    That's pretty much a given.

I think "cron" may be taken from Cronos of Greek mythology. Cronos fathered the Olympian gods and ruled the mythical Golden Age, but he is now best known for eating his children. Specifically, he ate them for fear that they would destroy him. Sound familiar? If that's the case, then Unicron may have been intended as the one terrible "god" of the Transformers and perhaps other mechanical races (as he is seen devouring in the movie), who both creates and destroys.

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    They took a word that sounded really big and a word that sounded robotic, and mashed 'em together.

Just like they did for Megatron.

6. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Unitron :lolol 

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Man, do I ever love etymology. This is a great, great question.

Uni-, obviously is one, and it makes sense in context. It's also fairly basic in that even someone attempting to come up with a name would stumble upon it without much effort at all.

-cron is more difficult. It's got some roots in Anglo-Saxon and Gaelic, but not anything that really makes sense.

Unfortunately, I doubt much effort went into the name's roots. RandomFerret makes a good point...I wouldn't be surprised if they actually started with Megatron, who was the ultimate bad guy in the TF universe up to that point, and then tweaked it to sound even bigger.

8. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

That sounds right.

Or maybe it was just a mispelling of Unicorn. Corn, Cron-very similar.

*400th post!!*

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is the best theory ever. Because it makes sense. To me.

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've heard something similar, yet a little different.
    Uni- as in "One"
    Cron- from "chronos" or "time"
    In Latin, I guess, the combination of these two words into "Unicron" would be saying "Throughout time," "encompassing time," or, the one that fits best, "Surpasses time." This makes sense, as Unicron was created at the beginning of time, and continues to exist.

11. flamepanther

That sounds good, except that time is "chron," not "cron." Two different words. If thats what was intended, then he should've been "Unichron."

Edit: Actually, the Romans did occasionally use "cron" in regards to time, but it referred only to civilization's keeping and measurement of time. Dates, calendars, schedules, times of day, etc., not time as a universal force.

12. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the answer to this might actually have been in the FAQ part of the 20th Anniversary Edition Movie...
    But don't hold me to that, I may be wrong. I definitely heard it somewhere that I think was a reliable source.

13. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Unicorn - Unicron, neither exist in reality lol.

Uni=One Cron= Having to do with time.... Unicron was around for the beginning of time, as was Primus.. seems to be the most likely answer... then again maybe there is no real meaning to it the boys just thought it sounded cool.

14. flamepanther

But like I said, "cron" has nothing to do with time in the universal sense. That would be "chron". Two completely different words. That could still be what the writers meant when they created Unicron, but that would mean they made a mistake.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Best theory ever.

16. buckybits

buckybits New Member

So Cron can mean time.

Cron is the name of program that enables unix users to execute commands or
    scripts (groups of commands) automatically at a specified time/date.

I see it as the one time or end of time. The time when all are one. He is the Omega.

17. flamepanther

"Cron" as in time does not mean time in an eternal sense! It means keeping track of time, as with watches and calendars, and that's exaxtly how it's used in Unix. "Unicron" in that sense would mean "one calendar". That makes no sense at all. The word you're looking for is chron. Totally different. Cron means human time.

Incidentally, that use of "cron" apparently also comes from the god Cronos, via the Romans and their association of him with Saturn, and for his orderly rule of the Golden Age before going mad with fear.

18. flamepanther

Additional information from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronus

Excerpts:
    It's interesting to think of Primacron in the role of Cronos' father, and the Autobot Matrix as the poison that was Cronos' undoing.
    See? See?

I found this bit especially interesting:
    So I looked up the entry on Kroni...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroni
    This seems to fit Unicron very well too. Perhaps the "uni" in Unicron suggests that he is analogous to both Cronos and Kroni. Both "crons" in one. Or maybe he's just Kroni and not Cronos (the two entities may be related anyway though).
    Emphasis mine. Born near the beginning of time. Pure primordial evil incarnate. Ravenous, unstoppable hunger. Eats the Universe.

Yeah, that's Unicron.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Works for me. Could easily be a much more well thought-out reason than the actual truth. :) 

Transformers seems to have a tradition of using mishmash words of bigbadness for the "large" robots. Look at the majority of combiners for examples.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Say it ain't so!

I personally subscribe to the RandomFerret school of thought, but your theory is definitely more fun. So's the 'cron=time' one, and it's not so unreasonable to think that the writers made yet another mistake in a movie with its fair share of them. Besides, cron is equally close to chron and cronos.