Estimation in Size for B-1B Lancer

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by spiritprime, Dec 26, 2010.

1. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Simple question that needs a direct answer

If you wanted to design a Transformer out of a Rockwell B-1B Lancer Bomber, exactly how tall do you think he will be?

If my guess is as good as correct, wouldn't the Transformer himself be about... 84ft tall? About 3 times the size of Optimus Prime?

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think it all depends on the overall design of this hypothetical robot. Would it stand up straight and tall like Optimus or Bumblebee? Or would he be hunched over like Bonecrusher? Big and bulky like Ironhide or Brawl? Or bird-legged like Starscream and Jetfire? There's dozens and dozens of ways that it could transform, meaning dozens and dozens of potential heights. If you went the "Starscream/Jetfire" route (with digitigrade legs, wings on the back, lots of folding and compacting pieces, etc.), it would be different than an "Optimus Prime" method of transforming.

With a length of ~146 feet, a wingspan of ~137 feet and a height of ~34 feet, the robot mode could be anywhere between 65 and 115 feet tall. Again, it all depends on its transformation scheme. If we use Starscream and Jetfire's transformation technique as an example, then we can estimate that the robot mode height would be ~1/2 of the overall length of the vehicle: ~146 feet/2 = ~73 feet tall (with digitigrade legs [aka "bird legs"]). I'm sure you could add on another 10 feet or so if you wanted its legs to be plantigrade (like a human). Your guess of ~84 feet tall is very good in my opinion, given that we don't know the details of said Transformer.

But these are just my thoughts and opinions, and I'm sure that someone could come up with a more logical and more mathematically accurate answer. :)  Sorry if I wasted your time.

3. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

If comparing by weight a B1-B runs 200-240ton, SR71 85 ton. A F22 about 40ton, Prime weighs in at a scrawny 16 ton. Bumble Bee less than 2 ton.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Interesting angle, I dare say bulk/weight may be a more accurate way of gauging overall "size" comparisons.

As parts "fold" over other parts, it seems mass/girth would be retained, just relocated.

As parts "collapsed" into themselves it seems "size" could be reduced, with weight/density being retained.

So I'm basically saying I have no idea!:p  Sketch out a theoretical transformation, then post it and we can brainstorm.

5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Sorry, I can't draw. But maybe someone else's picture can give you a basic idea of what I mean.

MOVIE JETFIRE IN ACTION... by ~gauge0001 on deviantART

6. Lurkertron

Lurkertron Rockerbot

Here's an Ultra Magnus concept I did a while ago.
    This design would be roughly 80-90 feet tall. Rather large indeed.
    It was intended to be a centrepiece to a Wreckers based Superion.

[​IMG]

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

so that means in toy form, it will be a basic or a deluxe, yay hasbro! :lol 

though, it will be shoved in a voyager size box

and then people will be saying "i want a leader class lancer!" :lol 

8. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  That's Hasbro for you!