estimated collection value

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Sep 7, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi everyone. I'm in need of some odd help. I'm trying to figure out what a collection's replacement value would be. The collection was Beast Wars, complete, Beast Machines, complete, RiD, complete, Armada, complete with all repaints, Energon, complete with repaints, and Cybertron, complete to current releases with repaints. I've had a friend lose his ENTIRE collection. It was a beautiful collection that had taken over 10 years to amass, and now it's gone. There is a chance of him getting reimbursed for it, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure if my original guess was enough. Just off the top of my head, I know he had some of the rarer pieces in there such as E. Magnus, Omega Sentinel, and I'm sure plenty of others. Like I said, it was COMPLETE from BW to current, less Alts. Thanks in advance.

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Wow. I've tried to complete a similar task in the past, but it really is hard to say, for sure, what a bot is worth. Ebay auction prices are so volatile that I wouldn't want to base the values off of them. Price guides such as Lee's, Toyfare, etc. seem to be pretty off-base as well. ...I would probably look at some reputable and reasonable retailers such as http://www.bigbadtoystore.com for pricing.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I hope I'm not out of place asking this, but how did he lose an entire collection?

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree how does one place a value on TF toys in the long run? The moment Hasbro or TakaraTomy does a reissue, the prices most likely will fall...and I'm curious also...how did your friend lose all his collection?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sounds like he's filling out those insurance forms. Hope it was'nt a flood or fire and that no one was hurt.
    Doubt he'll get back what they're worth, only around what he paid for them.
    Reciepts are alwasy good but not really necessary. Hey may end up getting more than he paid for them back though.

A flood hit us and we lost 11,000 worth of stuff, but got 30,000 back thanks to flood insurance. All the paperwork was wet but the TF's were up high so thankfully they were fine.

A shame to hear about his. But yeah, will you tell us what happened so we can think of more specific ways to help?

6. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    wow that sucks man... really curious as to what happend to your friends collection as well

this maybe a little off, but do you have to get seperate insurance for collectables or does it just go under your home insurance too?

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd suggest going with retail prices as a starting point. Get a checklist of each series and list all the figures that he had and add up what they sold for at retail, and then you can adjust as needed for the rare pieces (alt Sweve, Energon Magnus, etc).

8. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I know on my homeowners, I told my agent that I have a collection of toys. He asked the approximate value, and I threw out a number. He then asked a few more questions, and when it was all said and done, he'd added a $15000 rider to my policy. Wasn't very expensive.

As for my friend, I don't wanna go into a lot of details, but it wasn't anything like you guys are saying. He has 2 roommates. No decided to clean the house while everyone was at work. My friend was in the process of redoing his collection, so it was all boxed and sitting in the garage. So, the "good willed" roommate donated it to goodwill thinking it was "the 3rd roomate's nephew's old toys". Personally, after that comment, I believe is the point where I'd have ripped his throat out. I'm begging him to press charges on the roommate, but I fear, even given the magnatude of this, that my friend is too kind hearted to do it. He's just completely in shock. He went to the goodwill store, but they already "put the stuff out" and he only got back 3 bots. I think it got put in someone's car. I know my goodwill store takes forever to put stuff out once they get it. Anyway, he's to my friend and his formerly beautful collection. :drunk 

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Whoa! How is it possible for a roommate to do this type of stuff?! Its kind of irresponsible to simply "assume", I would be extremely cheesed off and at least demanded the roommate to at least replace all the stuff he gave away.

10. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    STUPID STUPID ROOMMATE! :thumbdown  :mad  :eek:  :stick:  :horse:  :throw 

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Damn right! Get the irresponsible imbecile who destroyed his collection to replace everything. It's the least he could do!

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Holy crap! What a travesty! Yeah, that level of irresponsibility is just screaming for a lawsuit. Kind-hearted or not, your friend has a solid case there if the roommate isn't willing to reimburse him for his loss. That's a complete lack of respect for personal property, and it's definitely not something anyone can just make assumptions about.

Also, your friend needs to get the tax receipt from the roommate for the donation he so foolishly offered on someone else's behalf to Goodwill. He *did* get a tax receipt, didn't he? Please tell me he got a tax receipt?

If not, direct your friend to the page below. There's a chance he can still claim it on his taxes next April.

http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/howweoperate/donations/claimingtaxdeductions

It's little consolation to lose a large collection, but it will at least give him a tax break.

13. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Oh, I learned more today. My, I repeat, MY Alt. Nemisis Prime may have been in the stuff he took to GW. If so, this ass has no idea the hell in his future. I will inflict bodily harm on him. If I go to visit my buddy, and the stuff he'd picked up for me, that I paid for is gone, oh HELL no! It'll be on. Damn, after all the BS of getting one of those damned things lined up, and now something this freaking stupid. Oh, the guy's gonna make him monthly payments. The best part, I wanna see his face when the total is added up. The prices are coming from BBTS, and what they don't have will be ebay. Oh, this is gonna be good.

BTW, anyone wanna hook to poor guys up with some NP love?

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have had the roommate experience before and will never go back to that. My current mode of thinking is that I will never have another roommate unless I am married or sleeping with (her).

15. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i have alot of expensive RARE pieces here in my appartment, in my room, and alot of expensive photography gear and laptop. My roommate has 2 cats ( wich i have grown to love) i keep my door closed as much as possible, but my roommate was made full aware that if her cats damage anything of my toys or gear, she is soley responsible. Nothing to major has happened, but i did find one sleeping on my laptop on day, and i came home to my cybertron downshift laying on the floor, wich means that one of the cats was on my shelf unit.

i also have 2 puffer fish. b4 she moved in, i made sure she knew if her cats ate my fish, id have new fish before the end of the day. The type of fish i have is rare for my area, so i know they havnt been replaced with out my knowledge. my breed of puffer hasn't been sold in halifax for over a year.

16. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    That's what I call a good arrangement between roommates i.e. laying down all the ground rules etc.

By the way, what's a puffer fish? Is it the type that blows itself into a ball when its stressed?