Essentials to Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I just thought I'd ask a question to get each of your input:

Question: With the Alternators not having any given storyline, what do you feel would be the essentials to a good storyline for the Alternators (what is everything you feel you must have in order to really enjoy the line. (i.e. "If I don't have X, Y, Z, I would just pass on a story about Alternators." and "I'd really love to see X, Y, Z in an story about Alternators).

Presuppotions:
    1. The Alternators line exists within itself; it is not dependent on any other story or mythos (such as the Binaltech story; while it shares characters' names and identies with G1, any/none of the G1 mythos would be necessary for this story.
    2. Someone that picks up this story has little to no prior knowledge of anything Transformers, despite the resources such as this board, other internet sites, etc.
    3. The audience would be teenagers to adults (PG-13).
    4. That I am posting this thread with a knowledge base of TFs because I've done my research, but that the integral things to me about TFs might very well differ vastly from your "typical" fan (i.e. I may just like the concepts of licensed cars transforming into robots].

I just wanted to hear some different thoughts and opinions, guys! Thanks! :thumb s

2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Whoops, doublepost :( 

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I forgot to put in the presuppositions that I'm looking for some of the obvious things here too, guys. What is important to you? I don't want to insert any of my own opinions and biases here; I just want to hear what you guys have to say in this thread. I appreciate your help! :) 

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Wow...I'm surprised that no one has jumped on this thread yet...I mean, it isn't as if there's a lack of opinions around here, much less a lack of people willing to throw them at you. ;) 

Anyway, I like the idea of the Alts being built by Earthly companies...showing that it doesn't take a 9 million year old genius computer to build a viable TF.

Maybe we can have some evil companies that are responsible for the Decepticon Alts.

There are lots of possibilities...I'll keep thinking and get back with you.

EDIT: Set the story after TF:TM so that some of the guys killed off in the movie can be brought back as Alts. Maybe the rebuilt TFs can be stolen from the Autobot/Decepticon crypts. I'll need to rewatch the movie to see just who was killed.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here's an idea I was thinking about... Like fschuler said, have modern day car companies make the ALTs... But they were approached by the US Military to develop war machines that could infiltrate urban locales undetected and do special ops missions...

At first they were remote controlled but later they were given artificial intelligence so they could act on their own instead of being constantly under surveillance from the military, thus freeing up those who were controlling the bots to attend to other pressing matters...

But with the artificial intelligence, these robots started believing that they were from another planet, Cybertron, and served another purpose than the military had constructed them to do...

Meanwhile, countries of evil intent get wind of the ALT program and construct their own by stealing plans and blueprints from the US Military... Thus constructing the 'Con ALTs... And these evil countries construct an AI program as well to do their bidding but soon lose control of the 'Cons...

That's all I have right now off the top of my head... I'm gonna try to find a way to incorporate the whole Cybertron aspect into it more...

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I really like Razerwire's idea. I'd go with that but change one thing. Make it some sort of coputer virus that gets into them via the internet. It would make the AI programs think they are self-aware, when really they aren't. Thus causing the confusion. The Bots are still good and the cons still evil because of the initial AI programing.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Good idea... I like that too... And then maybe towards the end they find out that everything they believed in after obtaining AI was a farce??? Sorta like a tragedy...

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm surprised no one jumped on this topic today as well. Number 1 of the presuppositions has that the Alts are self-contained, not dependent on any other storyline (this includes G1).

Take the movie for example. There will be Prime, which is a semi. Cullen is the voice. This Prime is black with flames. Evidently, Prime being a semi is important to the fandom and Cullen doing the voice, but the paint scheme was played with some.

How would this approach affect an Alternators story if Hasbro contracted someone to create one? In the Alt line, Prime isn't a semi; Cullen may or may not be his voice depending on the media used, etc. Obviously with the Alternators, having Prime as a semi wasn't essential to this line [only].

I'm trying to get down to the basic elements that you guys would feel that would or wouldn't make a good story.

You guys have already offered some really good ideas! :thumb 

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Oops...guess I should have paid closer attention to the presuppositions.

Here's a different take...maybe the Alts started out as transformable competition vehicles that various car companies built to race/compete in different events. The military/espionage potential of the technology was quickly recognized by some unscrupulous individuals who then stole the technology/bodies and made the Decepticons to carry out their evil bidding.

Or, maybe the Alts could be developed first as personal transportation/bodyguards by wealthy and powerful people. In order to further the capabilities of the Alts, they are given greater degrees of intelligence and eventually become self-aware mechanical beings. You know, George Bush drives Alt. Prime (...) and that Korean dude cruises around in Decepticharge. The Alts. are then sent off by their owners to carry out secret missions, etc. I guess of lot of this stuff is similar to what you guys have come up with above.

What it comes down to is the likely fact that, given their real life car modes, the Alts. almost have to be built by or in cooperation with Earthly car companies. I suppose that one of the questions that needs to be answered to move on with the story is "Why would Earthlings build such robots?"

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Do you feel that Cybertron or alien technology is completely necessary for a really good Transformers story?

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nope... Actually I don't think it would be necessary at all...

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I find it funny he even asked. Considering most of these stories have absolutely nothing to do with Cybertronian technology.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I definitely can see why he asked... Most of the time, if a TF story doesn't include Cybertron, Cybertronian technology, Energon, Megs not being a gun, etc, you'd have a rabid reaction from fans... So yeah, I can definitely see why he asked...

I personally don't think a TF story necessarily needs to be associated with Cybertron or Energon or any of the past staples of TF lore... If it's a clean slate we're talking about, why not go in a whole different direction...

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    *ding ding ding!* RW would be right here!

. . . to keep this discussion moving too, since there are many fans of G1 and many fans of BW (it seems these lines/stories are the favorites), what are your favorite elements about them?

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I go by the very nice Binaltech storyline.

16. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I really like your idea, Ron, except I do think SOME of the past staples of Transformers need to be present. They don't need to bash you over the head with them, though.

For instance... I like the AI idea, and it eventually growing/evolving. But I think a neat way to come to that point would be, I dunno. Let me think. Say, okay... military/gov't approaches modern car companies saying they have the AI and the robotics but want them to engineer it to convert between their popular car models and humanoid forms. The catch being, of course, that the AI programs they have are their attempt to recreate the the technology from some artifact they found in a desert/during a lunar visit/something. That artifact being the lasercore/spark of a TF.

Something like that... it's not exactly beating you over the head, but it's there to build on later. Kind of like in Species... they communicatte the way to meld our DNA with theirs, but they don't bother to really delve into who "they" are... same can be said here. Don't need to really explain it [but you can later if need be] just go with it.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    That's cool, but in my first post, I was putting forth the hypothetical idea that the Alternators line exists within itself and isn't dependent on any other
    or mythos (particularly the Binaltech story since it builds from and is dependent on G1/BW. My question is, in light of that, what would still make a good Alternators story that still retains what the essense of TFs is.

. . . and by the way, I've always enjoyed that sig of yours! That's just too funny! :thumb  :thumb  :lol 

This is really interesting! Where would you atribute the origin of the spark artifact? Is this wanting alien techology to be integral to the storyline?

18. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    I kinda like Alts without a story. I didn't feel that way at first, but I do now. Just seems easier to explain a lot of the stuff in Alts by just saying it is, instead of giving yourself a headache trying to make it all fit.

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Alternator story concepts huh? Hmmmmm, well for the life of me it seems difficult to figure out a decent story; I mean how would you explain why some unscrupulous government would create a character like Battle Ravage or Jaguar? Unless they had a Furry Fetish or something... :lol 

But seriously; I can't exactly picture a story for the Alts that wouldn't involve Cybertron or past mythos at some point, after all there are a lot of people out there... Although I did once try to write a story in which the Alternators Autobots and Decepticons were attempting to find their way back home to Cybertron. Basically the Ark didn't awaken in 84, but in 2004-2005; meanwhile certain Decepticons had managed to revive themselves being led by Shockblast. And the two factions would eventually be discovered by the SGC; in fact the very beginning I'd written up involved a debriefing in which General Hammond revealed the discovery of the wrecked spaceship, but it never got to far. So it's basically an Alternators/Stargate SG-1 crossover deal, but it didn't get off the ground as it were.

Another popular thing with me is Transformers/GIJoe stories; the Alt's could be a new weapon to use against Cobra, but then Cobra get's wind of it and manages to make off with some of the bodies; in the process they could even discuss alternative uses for the basic Alternator design IE incorporating MP-03 into it somehow.

Or I suppose you could go with the car companies manufacturing ploy, but twist it around; an insane individual secretly uses the factories to build himself a small army of Transforming Artificial Intelligent Warriors, he uses a computer virus or something to implant the basic blueprints into the system and that could explain why Smokescreen has more then one body, because the shut off code wasn't transmitted soon enough. Then during the course of this mad plot some of the AI's rebel against their insane creator thus the Decepticons would be forced to go out and find the Autobots; and they call themselves this because of a glitch in the programming which hadn't been caught in time briefly referencing an old favorite children's pass time.

It's a possibility I suppose; I don't really have much idea what the Alternators storyline could be in a sense mainly because I can't really see much worth in them, I mean the toys are awesome and all that, but they are damn annyoing and fiddly and not much fun plus how much they cost in Canada and how hard they are to find I stopped collecting so now I don't get many ideas for'em. There has to be some worth in them though, but I just can't concieve of one at the moment.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, from what I'm hearing from you guys, Cybertron/outer space would be a cool story device but not necessarily integral for you to be able to enjoy a story about Alts. Also, a lot of you are talking about them being very much earth-based and you guys seem really cool with that concept. The idea of their creation being corporate seems to be a common thread too. These are interesting ideas! :thumb 

Another question: It seems one of the core things that made G1 so popular is the characterization. I've noticed with G1 that the characters (while robots) can seem a bit too human at times (Optimus Prime had a very human-esque death in TF:TM, and note Andrew Wildman's slobber on TFs when they talk, for )example). Is the human-like personalities on of the things you guys like a lot? What if TFs seemed a bit more robotic in their personality, but still exhibited things such as emotions?