Essential Green Lantern TPBs

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I've recently become enamored with Green Lantern (as if you can't tell by my sig. :D ), and I was wondering which books I need to pick up to be caught up enough to completely understand the Corps war and Blackest Night. I've already got Rebirth, but that's all.

Anyone think they could help me out? :) 

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'm going to have to be following this thread. I've been hearing a lot of buzz lately about Green Lantern and would like to start reading something other than TF comics, so... good opportunity, eh?

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Check out:
    Emerald Dawn
    Emerald Twilight
    Rebirth
    Sinestro Corps books

There are others, but those will at least give you a good overview of GL.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Green Lantern:
    Emerald Dawn I and II- some of it is not in-continutiy anymore, but they're still damn good reads.

Emerald Twilight/A New Dawn- The fall of Hal Jordan, and the rise of Kyle Rayner.

Tales of the Green Lantern Corps- various stories about the corps over the years.

All Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps trades after Rebirth- they're all that good, I promise. Money well spent.

5. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Someone asked the same question on Allspark, so I'll just be lazy and link to that thread:

Green Lantern TPB reading order - The Allspark Forums

(If your browser doesn't take you to the right place, the actual list is post #8 by "Dante")

Dante's list doesn't mention the two "Ion: Guardian of the Universe" TPBs, which contains some key events for Kyle. I believe those 12 issues fall between Green Lantern: Wanted and the Sinestro Corps War.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

There are 2 Sinestro War TPBs, get those. Anything GL since Johns took over (Rebirth until current GL and GLC) are goin to help in the story. Most of it is just GL comics but there are little tidbits here and there. And GLC has been fantastic from the get go anyway.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    we were actually just talking about this in the Blackest Night thread too...here's the list we came up with there

anything rebirth has already been mentioned...

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Get the "To be a Lantern" TPB, it´s awesome! :) 

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Easy answer: All of them!

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're in luck in that the whole Corps thing has been rebooted a couple times. You can skip over a lot of the silver age stuff, unless you're really keen on it. Basically, where I think you'd want to start would be anything around the whole Zero Hour / Paralax thing, as that's when they really started doing the "corps" thing the way they do now.

But really, it all depends on what you can get your hands on, and which lanterns in particular appeal to you.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I also can't let this thread pass without recommending Hard Traveling Heroes aka Green Lantern/Green Arrow Vol. 1 & 2, does tie into Blackest Night, but its some of the best GL reading ever and lays the groundwork for one of the greatest friendships in the DCU that leads to the most critical moment of Zero Hour (a big part of the Parallax saga). Also recommend Green Arrow: Quiver if you want to see Hal as the Spectre.

But starting from Rebirth and getting the trades of GL and GLC is probably easiest for now.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First stop, get the Sinestro Corps War TPBs (SCW v1, SCW v2 and Tales of the Sinestro Corps). If you've read Rebirth, you'll have enough of a basis to go directly into this storyline without being confused, and it does a great job of explaining the rest of the backstory that you'll need to know. This is also the storyline that really kicks everything off and begins ratcheting up the action, all while being an outstanding story itself.

I don't know whether it's been reprinted in a TPB or not, but I'd also suggest getting the GL/SC Secret Files and Origins one-shot. It presents a number of the basic concepts of the GL universe and provides short bios for hundreds of members of the GLC and a number of the prominent Sinestro Corps members as well. I've found it to be a valuable resource that I've re-read numerous times, especially for background on some of the GLs that have been around for a long time and have popped up recently in Green Lantern Corps.

After getting SCW, I'd suggest working back to some of the pre-SCW TPBs, particularly GLC: Recharge, GLC: To Be A Lantern, GLC: Dark Side of Green and GL: Revenge of the GLs.

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread is helpful to me too! I want to get into it. The trades at least :) 

14. Boo

Ebay:
    When I was at the comic shop today to pick up TF#1(ehhh) I thought to myself "what the hell... just because I'm dead broke that shouldn't stop me from overspending on comics!" and went ahead and bought a couple GL trades. I picked up "Rebirth" and both volumes of "The Sinestro Corps War."

I haven't had a chance to read any of them yet, but I did a quick flip through and they look fantastic!

EDIT!

Just finished reading "REBIRTH" and dang. Yeah, I think I'm a Green Lantern fan now! Thanks!

15. Boo

Ebay:
    Sorry for the double post, but, might actually get it some attention. Heh.

Which of those books are available NOW in paperback format? I've been looking on Amazon and it seems that some (Rage of the Red Lanterns, Agent Orange, etc.) seem to be available right now only in hardcover, with paperback versions coming later. I'd prefer to have all paperback, hardcover just doesn't do it for me*, and would like to have a better idea of what's available to put on my Christmas list NOW! (Yes, I know I can research myself, and I am, but still - need input!)

* The upcoming Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth may interest me.

16. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm glad you liked Rebirth! SCW will floor you!

I'm not sure how many of the new books post Sinestro Corps War are in paperback yet. DC seems to have adopted a strategy of releasing the hardcover first then waiting 6 months or so for the paperback.

17. Boo

Ebay:
    Thanks! I started reading Sinestro Corps War vol1 tonight... half-way through and really enjoying it!

I became an addict really damn quick... just put in a bid on a whole mess of back issues involved with Blackest Night. Doubt I'll win, as my bid was fairly low (just over a buck per issue, really) but dammit, I'm the leading bidder as of now!!!!

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For GL, it looks like everything up until "Secret Origin" is currently out in paperback. It doesn't look like "Secret Origin" is due out until February...which will be damn near a year since the story ended, IIRC.

GLC is a little further along, with everything up to and including "Sins of the Star Sapphire" out in paperback. However, other than the SCW stuff and the upcoming "Emerald Eclipse" arc, it doesn't look like GLC is collected in hardcover, so that might explain why the paperbacks are out quicker.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And I'm gonna recommend against it. Beyond the established GL/GA friendship, The Hard-Traveling Heroes saga is some of the worst GL I've ever read. It started the whole "Hal has self-doubt issues and is just a tool for the establishment" era that lead to people not wanting to read his book and DC eventually turning him into Parallax. That Hal mentality became a trap in which every writer until Johns felt that they had to write Hal in the O'Neil mold. And for as "groundbreaking" as those books were in the 70s, they're just chalk full of stereotypes of very people O'Neil and Adams were trying to reach out too.

20. Boo

Ebay:
    BAH! Lost out on the auction. My max bid was $30, ended up going for $36. Oh well. TBH, couldn't really afford that now any way. Gotta stick to the trades for now I guess.:p