Essay help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AniProwl, Dec 10, 2008.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    For those who have read either Thus Spoke Zarathusra and/or White Noise, can someone help me write a couple of essays? My lame teacher gave me three weeks to write them and I have no idea how to do it.:redface2: 

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    What types of essays?

3. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Here you go.

The central characters of White Noise are Jack Gladney, a professor of "Hitler Studies" at an elite private college (somewhat like Sewanee, in that its faculty members wear academic garb to class, but located in a more urban area), and his wife and children. Gladney's profession offers many opportunities for satiric digs at the pretentions of contemporary academics (including a shot at a descendant of Endzone's Anatole Bloomberg, a neurotic Jewish intellectual called Murray Jay Siskind, who is a visiting professor in Jack's general area of popular culture), and provides a suitably ambivalent context in which the reader must attempt to evaluate the moral stance of the novel.

Various problems of communication form the core of the narrative of White Noise. The most dramatic problem is that the whole community is menaced by a cloud of undetermined origin — perhaps poisonous, or carcinogenic, but certainly a pollutant — which triggers a massive evacuation.

DeLillo gains his comic effects in White Noise by the constant juxtaposition of traditional expectations about meaning — of language, of relationships, of professions — with the contemporary phenomena of popular culture, all effectively devoid of the kind of significance assumed to have been part of life "before." Jack Gladney, robed in traditional academic garb, is representative of this. Even he is uncomfortably aware that "Hitler Studies" is hardly consistent with older notions of valid academic disciplines or curricula. When everything is supposed to be significant, when even the most trivial phenomena demand "equal time" and attention, then those things that had seemed important lose importance and Gladney's mom gets scared and says "you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air!". I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said "fresh" and it dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "Nah forget it, yo homes to Bel-Air!". I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie "Yo homes, smell ya later!". I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

[​IMG]

5. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

you might figure out how to do it if you stop wasting time on the boards and trying to actually do the goddamn homework.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

research and the library...they are your friends use them.

In all seriousness, this sounds like a simple compare and contrast 6-8 page paper. Basic stuff really. You have three weeks, plenty of time to read both books and write an essay.

7. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I remember doing an essay for a college class.
    It started with " There once was a man from Nantucket..."

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    First, read the books as assigned to you. And as you go through each book, make notes about details that would seem important for an essay.

Also, after you've read each book, you might want to jot down a basic outline of each book using your notes and the chapter list. This will give your essay better structure and likely score you a higher grade than you would get just from writing randomly to fill the word count requirement.

Then, think of an essay as a blog entry or forum post and try a "freewriting" exercise: set a timer for 5 minutes and write non-stop on your given topic until the time expires. Don't stop to edit or make any corrections at all. Just write as quickly as possible whatever you thought about each book.

In college, my Adv Gram & Comp prof gave these freewriting assignments for class with a 2-minute time limit. I hated that I had to hand-write because I type 60 wpm, but since then I've never had any difficulty starting writing anything since because it forces you to put your thoughts on paper without overthinking how you want to start.

And that's really the "secret" to starting anything -- just do it. Unless it requires planning in advance, the best way to get something started is just to dive right in. Or as a friend of mine in college used to say, "Just puke it out."

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

It's called bullying or paying the smart kids for well written papers... learn it now or you will never make it college!

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Well, The Nieztche/Zarathusra paper is a content argument while the "White Noise" is a critical analysis. Both need to be double spaced- 5-6 pages. Due 12/18. I've been using library books and internet websit. But, now that it's crunch time. I don't know what to do. Please help a fellow board member.

11. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Quit posting on the boards and write the fuggin essays?

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Is this for high school or college? Based on the books, it sounds like high school to me. If high school, its quite easy to rely on bloc quoting for the majority of the paper. Just be sure to lead into the quote and after the quote give you interpretation/explanation of that quote.

5-6 pages is nothing really. Find you three important talking points about the books that interest you for each paper and expand on them. Basicly, you're papers should look like this:

Introduction with thesis about the three points.

Couple of paragraphs for each point.

Conclusion summing up your argument.

Though its seems you've wasted quite alot of time for them. You've only got a week to write the essays, which can be problem for someone not use to writing them.

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    They are college papers.