Escalation - Wave 74 - Newer Record

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by atomicmuffin, Oct 27, 2010.

1. atomicmuffin

atomicmuffin Escalationer

SnipeXD, whyme101, mordechai, and myself made it to wave 74, one short of our goal.
    Well, we did this last night/this morning. Our original goal was to make it to wave 75, but we started out bad, collecting alot of deaths early in the game, and as soon as we hit the upper 60s everything started to go wrong.
    Ill post more about what happened during the game, unless one of the other guys would like to talk about what happened, which would be awesome. This was the first time we didnt die on purpose.

Link to final score:
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5091/twfc2010102702514992.png

have video too, I will post it up once I edit it out and upload it.

2. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I salute you. I need to play with people like you. Would you be willing to add me if on xbox? I'm Asikokami.

Everyone dies when they try to open the turret room in Broken Hope ad I always have revive then. Then I die because of it. Skilled players would be cool.

3. nehushtan

nehushtan Escalation Jedi

Congratulations!

Wow. I am more impressed with the discipline to see it through to the end. We started a run last night early as well in Broken Hope but it went to crap when I left the match and returned with Zeta Prime. We didn't get past Wave 35..

I am very happy for you guys. That's a lot of hard work there. I can only think of a few guys I'd be wiling to take a shot at that record with but they haven't been playing Escalation for a while now.

This happened to one of my teammates on our Wave 59 run. Starting around Wave 50 he couldn't see anything and was glitching all over the place. He was in one corner of the room in 1 frame and across the room the next. It was bizarre. That is one aspect of record chasing I do not look forward too.

Who was hosting the match? Was it SnipeXD?

@Shizuka

They're from the PC community. You probably wouldn't catch these guys playing on a console anywhere any time soon or ever to be honest. PC gamers are loyal to their platform to say the least.

4. Mordechai

Mordechai Active Member

Glitches are TONS of fun and honestly are what make the upper levels of Escalation exciting and worth playing.

First off, you have the early stuff. They don't come up right away, but they appear by the time you hit the 30s or 40s. Neither of these are bad; in fact, one of them is quite useful.

• Moonwalking Tanks: To all client players, the tanks appear to be facing backwards, and their animations are all the wrong way. So, when the tank is walking towards you, you see the tank facing away from you, making forward steps, yet actually moving backwards. In other words, moonwalking. They also appear to be firing at nothing, except the shots actually fire in the correct direction, as if they're coming out the back of his elbow.
    • The invisible bridge: The first useful bug that you'll come across, and one of the silliest. The bridge that the tank can destroy (the one that opens up from the Overshield room to the middle of the map) does disappear, but after a couple of waves, you can drive across it again. There are some caveats: the host cannot use it, the bridge only works if you're in vehicle mode (if you transform you fall down) and you can't really steer while you're on it (unless you jump). Still, it becomes incredibly useful as a platform, as well as a saving grace when you're driving back from getting healing grenades. This is probably related to the bug that causes enemies to think the bridge is still there, even when it's destroyed, causing them to try to go on it again and again, with them every time falling through and confusedly jumping back up to try again (enemies can't use the invisible bridge, even in vehicle mode)

Then, in the early 60s, you start to have some serious bugs that can decimate you if you're not careful:
    • "Hollow", not "Holo", brutes: It's like a nightmare: There's a brute coming right for you, and you maneuver into position to destroy his backpack before he destroys you... except his backpack isn't there. That's right, you have an effectively invincible brute. Luckily, this bug doesn't affect the host, but you do need to protect him. You can try to kill the backpack yourself with explosives (bullets won't work against things you can't see), but the other issue is that clients don't actually know which way the brute is facing; the animation is messed up.
    • Teleporting Shotgunners: Another nightmare that the host is blissfully ignorant of: you're tracking a Shotgunner, keeping him at distance, then BAM! he's gone... then BAM! you just lost half your health because he reappeared right next to you. This happens with other enemies, but the shotgunner gets to be in the name because it's by far the biggest problem that comes up with this bug.
    • Nameless deaths: This one is minor; by the time you hit the early or mid 60s, the little notifications that show who killed what stop showing the enemies. In other words, you get the name of the player that killed, you see the weapon they killed with, but you don't see what they killed. The host sees the kills just fine.

Then you have the late 60s. This is when the horrors really come out.
    • Invisible, bulletproof EVERYTHING: It's the teleporting shotgunner bug, maxed out on steroids. Enemies simply stop appearing. At first, it's just some enemies; by 69 or 70, it's everything except for the tanks and a few rocketeers; by wave 72, it's everything, period. And this isn't like the cloakers being "cloaked" kind of invisible , this is invisible invisible. And, it gets worse. Remember the "Hollow" brutes, and how bullets don't affect them? It's the same thing here. That's right, you have enemies rattling down your health, you can't see them, and you can't actually damage them with any bullet-based weapon. No more X12, no more shotguns; they're totally useless. Again, the host is unaffected by this, and this is where it becomes absolutely critical to protect him at all costs. The game turns into some twisted form of "Protect the V.I.P", except you can't really protect him since you can't see the enemies and you can't damage anything unless you take potshots with the magma frag launcher or the rocket launcher (or, I presume, the plasma cannon). The gameplay ends up being the clients jumping around like idiots hoping they don't get smacked by an invisible brute or gunned down by an invisible titan or shotgunner, or hiding in a high crevice hoping that enemies don't notice them, keeping an eye on the host, ready to throw a healing grenade or use the Energon Repair Ray if he goes down.
    • Disabled guns: Around this point as it becomes obvious that any machine gun, sniper rifle, and shotgun are totally useless, players attempt to buy a repair ray, rocket launcher, or magma frag launcher. Except they don't actually pick up the weapon, their current weapon disappears, and doesn't actually hit the floor. In other words, if you try to buy a gun, you end up simply losing whatever gun you had. If you try this twice, you end up losing both guns, leaving you with either the "no robot weapon" bug or the "vehicle weapon becomes robot weapon, no vehicle weapon anymore" bug. The same issue comes up with grenades; in other words, you cannot buy grenades. The host is unaffected by any of this.
    • Grenade jackpot: This. This is the only thing that makes it possible to survive any round past 68. It's by far the most useful bug in the entire game, but it's also the most difficult to trigger. I haven't figured out the exact way to reproduce it, but I'm pretty close. Here are the conditions that I found that trigger it:
      First off, I've only seen this work with healing grenades. This doesn't necessarily mean this only works with healing grenades, but I know it definitely does work for them.
      1. You need to be a client.
      2. The "Disabled guns" bug needs to be in effect. In other words, you need to be able to buy grenades and have them not appear.
      3. The host needs to buy the grenades for you.
      4. Pick up the grenades.
      5. ???
      6. JACKPOT!

The ??? step is actually an actual, unknown step that must happen. I'm not sure what that step is, but I do know that there is more than one thing that works. The first time it happened, it just happened. Perhaps it involves the host purchasing either grenades for himself, or a weapon, or something, but I'm not sure. What I know definitely worked was the host dying. Perhaps the host also needs to buy themselves grenades or something before dying, but their dying definitely was the last step. It's not required though; I saw it happen twice without the host dying, I'm just not sure what that intermediate step was.

Anyways, this bug really is "JACKPOT!". What is that jackpot? Well, you know how when you pick up a set of grenades, you see the three icons that represent each grenade? Well, do this right, and you have a line of icons so long that it stretches off the screen. You get at the very least 30 grenades; I'm guessing it's 50 based on how many I threw, as well as one other factor. This bug will also trigger certain failed gun pickups to go into effect in a similarly bugged way: for instance, my rocket launcher suddenly appeared, with 50 rockets (this is the other place my 50 grenade guess comes from).

So, the game by the end was total chaos. All the clients were either hiding or jumping around and following SnipeXD, ready to heal him, while he ran around and (seemingly) fired at nothing. I had the grenade jackpot in effect, so I followed SnipeXD around and tossed a healing grenade whenever he went down or whenever he asked. As the only person with this many healing grenades, I had to be very careful to keep myself alive as well. Anytime I had below 3 bars of health, I tossed a grenade at SnipeXD and moved in next to him. I had to be generous in healing myself because I wouldn't be able to see a brute or shotgunner coming towards me and I didn't want to die and leave SnipeXD with only 6 heal grenades between Muffin and WhyMe. I ended up using nearly all of them by Wave 73. Then SnipeXD died during Wave 73. The only person who could see enemies and shoot them with regular guns died.

Then the next "gametype" started. We were done playing "Protect the VIP", now we had to play "have a frustrated SnipeXD shout sometimes somewhat vague instructions about where to fire the rocket or magma frag launcher". This gametype (also called HFSSSSVIAWFRMFL) was actually quite fun, I have to say. It was a challenge, it was fun, and after 65 levels of the same Escalation map, and 4 levels of the same Escalation map played just a little differently, it was nice to have 3 levels of jumping around frantically while chucking heal grenades and watching SnipeXD kill everything, and another radical and exciting change was welcome.. The fact that we managed to kill everything and finish the wave was definitely one of the biggest challenges of the night, and I'm proud that we were able to do it.

Then, during Wave 74, SnipeXD died again, early. I had very few healing grenades left. I had a strong feeling that this was it. I decided to get a FRAPS of some of the gameplay. Big mistake, I promptly got disconnected. Luckily, Muffin and WhyMe stayed alive long enough for me to reconnect and recover my score (THANK YOU FOR NOT DYING!). Oddly enough, when I reconnected I was able to see some of the enemies again, though their animations were still messed up. It was like being in the early 60s again. Also weird: I could actually see the health and ammo crates that originally spawn with the level. Very odd. Anyways, since FRAPS was already running, I managed to get the last minute and a half of the game. Enjoy:

YouTube - Wave 74! Transformers: War for Cybertron Escalation, Broken Hope (PC)

5. Valsion

Valsion Jack-Of-All-Trades

@nehustan

That last sentence is true, but I also have consoles, PS2 and Wii xD

@atomicmuffin

O_O WOW! Incredible! You should totally tell Activision about this achievement!

@Mordechai

To me, nameless deaths start at about wave 10 or so, sometimes.

6. caecae22

caecae22 mere human

wow i only got to wave 16

7. atomicmuffin

8. atomicmuffin

Video of the match, or in parts at least. Its not in great quality, I really didnt have time to make it a better, higher quality format, I will try to do that this weekend. Hopefully Ill be able to edit it out and make a HD version of it. Forgive me if it looks like its jumping around, I was using fraps but only in 30 second intervals. So it does jump a little bit.
    Anywho heres the video:
    YouTube - Transformers: War for Cybertron Road to Wave 74

9. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    ^^ Dude, this is outstanding. Way to go. It's cool to see the gameplay at levels I will never reach!

10. atomicmuffin