Escalation #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't read the comic yet but I'm kinda disappointed that Sunstreaker's er, dead? What about the human - Hunter?

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I have a variety of feelings towards the whole politics/tf storyline deal going on.

First off, I think this makes the story A LOT more interesting. And it makes PERFECT sense that the Decepticons would do this. If its "natural" for a Transformer to hide and be covert, then, it makes sense that they would remove the native population of a planet through the planned described in the book. Let the natives kill themselves and we keep the planet afterwards. Afterall, in this book it clearly looks like the humans can fend themselves off from Transformers. In a full frontal attack, the TFs wouldn't last that long. So it makes sense.

Secondly, about the political undertones. Like others have said, it makes sense to use the Iraq war and Republican politicians. It would sound a lot less interesting if it were something else because the Iraq war is what we're going through now. Using a Republican politician makes more sense then a Democrat because the GOP was in power when the war started.

My only worry is that Furman will make the political undertones too simple. So far, the human motivation is clearcut and straightforward-- which is very good to a certain degree. Its great that its simple because confusing the reader will only frustrate the reader and defeats the purpose of including this plot element. My only worry is that this doesn't turn into a simplistic/cartoony plot element. Its too early to tell how it will pan out.

In some ways its 'gutys' that Furman pointed out a political party. But this is fiction and good fiction often reflects on real world situations. Totally faking the conflict would have been a lot less interesting.

So far, I don't think Simon has 'an axe to grind.' The politician is from Lousiana. Not from Texas. Not from Florida. And he's probably a Decepticon construct, meaning that he's not a "true Republican" but an engineered one.

It would be funny if Furman threw in some Decepticon engineered Democrats and Independents into the mix and have them form some sort of bipartisan coalition in Congress. It would be like Furman saying, "hey everyone, I guess the only way Dems, GOP and Independents can get to work together in Congress is by making cyber-biological clones of them with Decepticon programming." HA!

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, read the comic.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    chill d00d, we havent got it yet. its this weekend.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I just read mine and -

SPOILER SPACE (hope I do this right, never done this before)

Sunny and Hunter aren't dead...yet.

6. Ramberk Magnus

Well, they might be alive, they might be dead. We'll see how Furman plays it out.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't mean that to be rude, I just don't want to give anything away.

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...You're kidding, right? PLEASE tell me you're kidding...

9. Ramberk Magnus

Why are you all hung up on this? I'm serious...

I suppose Furman could have made the human villains some industrial tycoon (a Lex Luthor-type) or an arms dealer or even some middle eastern tyrant/warlord but he chose an oil tycoon. There's always been an interest in Iraqi oil, I don't think anyone can deny that. Why not use an oil tycoon?

This is getting dangerously close to being too political but still, when you put up statements like that, your gonna be called out on them to explain your position.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Are you aware of what the primary objective, the "Crown Jewel" was during the first day of the offensive in Iraq? Just wondering...

But anyway, I picked up both Issue #1 and #2 today and am pleasantly surprised. Good stuff all around. I actually LIKE the politics in it, makes for a much more mature feeling IMO. Also, I was a little shocked to see Prime kill that guy in the truck with his leg. This comic as a whole is getting good, and I cant wait to read more! :D 

Also, were the "black and white" versions of these comics incentive versions? I passed em up then let out a huge "Doh!" on the way home.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dude.

ALL wars have economic/commercial prerogatives.

dude, its transformers. theres a lot of fighting going on.

12. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

PLEASE tell me your an oil tycoon or something.

Because if you're not, your taking things waaaaaaay too seriously here.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Its ok, no harm done. KA's right, we in Asia receive our shipment of comics 1 day later than the States.

14. Ramberk Magnus

I didn't know this. I thought the original poster just didn't have time to stop by the comic book shop earlier in the day.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've already explained why on the first page of this thread. Seriously, if you don't get it by now, you're not going to.

You'd realllly have to stretch it from that to what the comics are implying...

If you're talking about that to the extent of protecting the country's own economic prosperity from being blown to bits by the enemy, than yeah, that comes with the territory, though it is very rarely the primary goal of the war, at least not in modern times.. .If you're talking about more than that, than you're dead wrong, to the point of being downright delusional.

No, but living in a college town, I get far-left conspiracy theory Grade A bullcrap all day, I don't need it in a $4 TF comic, thankyouverymuch.

And, I guess I need to reiterate it again, this sole comic has NOT been enough to get me to quit IDW or e-mail them angry letters. I just don't like where this is going-- it's the likely end result I'm more concerned with than a few phrases that frazzled me a little in this comic. I certainly hope I'm wrong, and this all ends up being rather apolitical-- I doubt I'll make any decision on whether to cancel my subscriptions with them before the end of the Escalation arc, at least. We'll see.

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay, less Gundam legs! Really liking Jazz and Wheeljack's redesigns and how they have improved IMO since "Infiltration". Issue was pretty good, but I didn't really like how Prime handled the truck by letting it collide with his legs. As far as I know all Primes have been against killing and the driver could have very easily been killed (if he wasn't). Prime taking an "eye for an eye" approach toward the humans seems very out of character to me. Then again the driver could of been one of those "synthetic-humans" but the book didn't really make it clear.

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Who me?I'm confused. As mentioned earlier, we in Asia receive our comics a day later and most comic shops are located in town...do for comic fans who don't work in town, we reserves our comics and make a trip down over the weekends. :D 

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I loved it, Prime kicks ass, the political thing makes a lot of sense from what we know of how the con’s work, but one thing, just one thing massively pissed me off, megatron looks like he turns in to a freaking gun, lame just damn lame. The rest of it, first class.

19. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I found Prime's more ruthless approach in the Escalation to be a natural progression from the events that transpired in Stormbinger. He probably thinks his own sentimental thinking led to the Stormbringer crisis , so he recently adopted a more hardline stance to prevent such an incident from happening again, expecially with the situation on Earth being so dire that even he admits that it might be hopeless.

20. Ramberk Magnus

I re-read your first post, where you state you don't like politics in your comic books. Which is fine, that's a fair statement to make. But you don't make it clear why its terribly wrong for Furman to draw parallels to the Iraq war and the goal of securing Iraqi oil. All you say that its a bunch of conspiratory bull crap and you throw out condescending comments like "...You're kidding, right? PLEASE tell me you're kidding..." and "Seriously, if you don't get it by now, you're not going to."

Now, you might have a different opinion or viewpoint on the political situation happening in the world and in the TF comics but you don't actually discuss your viewpoint. You don't like politics in comics, thats fine. You seem particularly upset about how politics are portrayed in this book, thats fine but you don't explain yourself. I guess you could have just said, "this book is dumb and I don't want to get into it." Thats fine, but your just shutting us all down by not explaining yourself and throwing out comments that shut down discussion.

Your tactics remind me of a particular political commentator on Fox news... That sort of attitude doesn't really work out in a public forum. But hey, I'm dropping this political angle with you Beastbot X cause you don't seem to really want to discuss it. And I don't want to start a flame war. But at the same time, I want to point out what your doing.