Escalation #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 20, 2006.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I liked it. I think the story is getting stronger, and more characters are coming to the forefront. We finally get to see what the "facsimiles" are, and why the military dude was in the Command Bunker in Infiltration. Prime was a Badass! I wonder if he will regret that later, or just keep on being a badass. Im all about Prime being gentle, but when people are trying to kill hid friends, he should handle business.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like this Prime a lot more. He treats the humans in the base like hamsters, and the one that had Sunstreaker's remains really got what was coming to him for what he tried to do to the Autobots.

3. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Solid read, mostly positive with some negatives.

The positives? I think Simon is doing a good job with character focus, not throwing in too many characters at once. In Infiltration we got Ratchet, Bumblebee, and Prowl, last issue we got Ironhide and Sunstreaker, and this issue we get Wheeljack and Jazz. So its a nice balance and a good way to develop individual characters in this continuity.

Other positives? How bout Prime putting his foot down. Literally. I mean, when if ever have we seen Optimus do something like this? Not in prior comics, not in the cartoon. I like this Prime more and more.

The negatives? Well, there aren't too many, but I will say that Simon needs to watch the overall pace of the story carefully. Infiltration suffered from a slower pace, and I think these last two issues, though they have moved the story along, might be a little too slow for many fans. For example, last issue was about the humans taking out Sunstreaker and Hunter, this issue is about finding out they are still alive. That's the crux of the story, and though I personally am not bothered by the current pace, don't be surprised to hear some fans saying nothing much happened.

Overall, a "B-" issue. Looking forward to more.

4. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I had issues w/ the pacing of Infiltration. But I actually think the pace has been picking up in Escalation and I'm enjoying it a LOT more than Infiltration! Which is nice, because I really didn't want to drop the book.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

*insert inappropriate political joke here*

I picked up #1 this week too as they didn't have cover A last coupla times. Escalation >> Infiltration.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is making Infiltration even more worth going through. They have a big lore plotted out, looks like. I'm very happy with this continuity. :D 

And yeah, <3 Simon for writing a Prime that did anything -but- selfdepricating antiwar angst.

*stomp*

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    *sigh*

Okay, I did NOT like this issue. In fact, I don't believe I've ever actually been pissed off by a TF comic ever before. Reason being is that inserting politics in places where it does not belong is one of my BIG pet peeves. After the first page-- which hinted ENTIRELY too obviously at "oil companies want the Iraq war to continue" conspiracy theory BS-- and the fact that it looks like a likely Decepticon simulacrum is the top runner for the Republican candidate for President, or at least heavily involved in it-- it was hard for me to enjoy the rest of the comic. (Unless there's some alternate non-political plot explanation for this coming down the road some, but that seems pretty unlikely.) I thought Furman was better than this. If this crud continues, as much as it pains me to say so I'm dropping IDW except for the BW comics, which is a shame because I've really liked this continuity up to this point.

8. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I would say its do to the decepticons being here to "rape and plunder" the earth's resources and or there being a vine of super energon there.

9. Omnibus Prime

Interesting. I loved it for exactly the reasons you didn't. I think it's the best comic in the IDWverse to date. Infiltration was a yawner and a half. Escalation #1 improved slightly, but this one actually has me looking forward to #3. I disagree that it doesn't 'belong'. Politics has a way of seeping into popular culture/entertainment during uncertain times and is much more often than not, better for it.

10. GogDog

News Credits:
    Well, if the Decepticons are infiltrating the White House, it either has to be a Republican or a Democrat. Simon had to choose one. It seems pretty obvious to me that the Decepticons are trying to stir things up by instigating a current situation. That little blip in the beginning is just foreshadowing some the situations the Decepticons are trying to exploit and blow out of proportion. Don't take it personal.

11. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with "political involvement" to the point of, say, the X-Men movies where it's like "Mr. Generic President That Doesn't Really Exist and Has No Identifiable Party Affiliation, we've got a situation, how do we proceed?", etc. I didn't have a problem with the Deceps fueling the fire in the Middle East either, that makes sense and it doesn't take obvious political sides. What bothers me-- a lot-- is when it becomes apparent what the political agenda/beliefs of the comic writer are just by reading their work (beyond the most far-reaching beliefs that pretty much everyone shares), regardless of whether I agree with them or not. It doesn't matter if I read a comic stumping for one side or the other, I'd feel the same way. The whole Decepticon Republican presidential candidate thing wouldn't have bugged me in and of itself had it not been for the first page of the comic that it tied into. I have a very bad feeling that Mr. Evil Oil Baron Republican Senator-- now likely Mr. Fake Evil Oil Baron Republican Senator, if I'm interpreting the last part of the first page correctly-- is going to use his "influence" that the real Senator had with the Big Evil Oil Companies Who Love War who have "a lot of influence domestically" (and you know darn well what that's alluding to) to escalate the war for the Decepticons, or something along those general lines. I really hope it doesn't get THAT obvious, but if it does, I am OUT, immediately. Beastbot doesn't play that game, especially when I have to pay $4 an issue for the privilege. I mean, I understand putting some general political stuff into the comics, fine. Even little changes-- like not mentioning the Senator's party and leaving out the "oil companies with a lot of domestic influence" comment, for instance-- would have completely negated my anger over this.

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    I see where you're coming from. Write a letter to the editor and let him know how you feel.

13. Omnibus Prime

I gotta tread carefully here, lest I veer into forbidden territory with the political discussion. While the storyline in the X-men movies doesn't particularly necessitate a specific party affiliation, in general, I find the generic politician approach distracting actually, because it's trying to skirt around something that would be more effective if they just came out and made no bones about which side they were trying to impugn given whatever issue they're trying to tackle.

However, in this case, I don't see Furman necessarily grinding an axe. I think he's just trying to place the IDWverse and specifically the whole Decepticon/energy angle in a more relatable, real-world context and to do so, is constructing it around the hottest button of the times. Gotta pick one of the two and only one is particularly believable...such as it is, since we are talking big alien robots infiltrating geopolitics for their own gain.

14. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Well, like I said, I'll see exactly how this pans out in the rest of Escalation. I'm not making any decisions regarding my comic purchases yet. If it turns out to be something more non-political (or at least, more general and less specific when it comes to politics) and this is as close as Furman gets to hitting my hot buttons and it becomes apparent he's not really "grinding an axe", then fine. I've just seen more than enough "subtle" political allusions in stuff like this to know where things are headed more often than not, and I don't like where this is headed.

15. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mean to pick on you Beastbot X, but I think your reaction to this issue shows that Furman couched things correctly here.

Just in case that's a problem, calm down and go to a 'happy place' (mine's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSNZH_CGdE just in case you need a convient one, BTW :wink:  ).

In this case he's showing what Ironhide spells out as 'Standard Procedure' on page 10. Keep that in mind as the framework that the rest of this builds on. He fleshes it out by keeping to what was promised for IDWs interpretation of Transformers: Setting the tale firmly in the world around us today. Furman could give a more generic (and easier to tolerate) interpretation of the 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers/Manchurian Candidate' , but that takes things more towards the older-style comic book angle that's already there with The Machination. The particulars hung on the framework are exactly what the media has driven into us as the picture of the world now ad nauseum. I doubt you're the only one who's uncomfortable at seeing what's been drilled into us repeatedly showing up here, but it locks the story firmly into 'today'.

As for comments not addressing anyone in particular, I find I am agreement in most of the opinions expressed thus far about this issue. As someone expressed prior to this coming out, things didn't fully add up with Sunstreaker (keen eye by the person who expressed it, but I thought that just based on the order of weapons used). It was also good to have Wheeljack getting so much spotlight here (since he is one of my faves) even while sharing some of it with Jazz. Prime's definitely not Furman's old 'Angstimus Prime'. He has a consistency with his portrayal in Stormbringer: Protecting his own comes first.

Overall, IMHO, 'Escalation' is doing just as it's titled, bringing everything up to a new level. Pacing, plot, details, and emotions are all more pumped than 'Infiltration'. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

16. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Any one else note the name of the news anchor at the end?

17. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    That's one of the major reasons why it bothers me so much-- because it relies on a stereotypical, and in a vast majority of cases untrue, constructed view of reality.

Heh, yeah, that was pretty good. Though I don't know any females named "Arcee", myself...

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    we got an indication of this from the 1st ish, where he lamented that ultimately, the bots might not be able to save earth and the humans.

this prime seems like a hardened realist. kinda more like magnus actually.

19. Omnibus Prime

Oh noes! Prime can't deal with that now!

20. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Not sure why you're getting all worked up about this issue and its political undertones, particularly when it a reflection of ongoing current events in the world today, which many comics in the industry are.

If anything, this comic gives an out for the governments major fuckup in Iraq by blaming it on the Decepticons.

So Simon's alluding to oil companies instigating wars. How is that in any way offensive?