Escalation #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GogDog, Nov 29, 2006.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    No thread on this yet?

I thought it was a good first issue (or 7th issue after a hiatus, if you want to think of it that way). They packed more into an ish than they have previously, and to no ill affect (sp?). I like the stage they have set with the Spotlights, and it looks to be leading into some cool stuff with this mainline run. Not sure what I think of this "Machination," so we'll see. But I really liked it. Su's artwork is getting better, and this one I thought was really good. I got the Sunstreaker cover, which was one of the best IDW covers so far.

What does everyone else think?

2. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

SPOILERS

Read it. Liked it.

Strong start, both storywise and from E.J. His rendition of Optimus has to be one of the best to date. Nice to see Simon continue with the bold moves of either removing major players like Starscream, Cybertron, Thunderwing, etc. from the picture for a while, or killing them off altogether.

My main complaint, though, is that the blurbs and previews of variant covers that came out before this issues release allowed the plot here to be too easily deciphered and took a lot out of the shock value out of the story. It was already pretty much determined across the TF boards that Hunter and Sunstreaker were going to buy the farm, based on the soliciations for future issues, and on Klaus' cover with Verity crying over a yellow metal Sunstreaker plate with Jimmy Pink looking on.

Seriously, reconsider how future solicitations are worded and make sure that nothing crucial to an issue is so easily garnered from the frothy-mouthed rabid TF fans that we are.

I know, I know, you could say "Well why the #### are you reading solicitations?", but I don't. It's just nigh impossible to escape these spoilers when you surf the many TF boards for discussion.

Anyway, strong work guys, and a good start to Escalation. A solid "B+" issue. By issues end, I was eagerly wanting more. Can't believe its another months wait (and the TF Movie comic doesn't really do a good job of tiding me over).

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, this was a very strong issue story-wise. I felt like more happened in this ish than in the bulk of the entire Infiltration arc.

My biggest hangup is that I don't care for the artwork on the whole; a bit partial to the Dreamwave style, I suppose - but still willing to give myself time to get used to this. My other nitpick is the square-ish font used when the 'bots are talking... don't care for that.

Regardless, I'm finding myself eagerly awaiting the next issue, which really hasn't happened for me since the War Within books.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Got it today. Got the Klaus Scherwinski Ironhide cover and the Black & White book... well worth it. I was waiting forever for Escalation to start, the wait was starting to bug me a bit, but it paid off in the end. I really enjoyed Stormbringer and the Spotlights, but the Infiltration arc has been my favourite in a long time and so far the continuation is living up to it.

The characterization is just getting better and better. The little bits with Jazz & the humans, Megatron and his troops, and even the Machination soldiers was top notch. Jazz living up to his 'Earth culture junky' nature was amusing... "I never even knew the smile was freakin' people out." I chuckled at that a bit for some reason. Megatron addressing his troops, showing that he is more than just an insane killing machine... kind of reminding me of BW Megs, actually, and that's a good thing. The soldiers... well, obviously we don't know much about them individually but from the very first few pages of the book, even before the ending, they were set up as a very credible thread to both 'Bot and 'Con alike.

This could get very interesting, especially since we already know that Prime is having more troops converge on Earth. If Prime's doing it, you just know Megatron'll be following suit very soon if not already. More troops, a credible human threat, and already a real sense of war brewing... love it.

Unfortunately, though, like everybody else I pretty much already knew how this particular issue was going to end. That was a bit unfortunate.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I flipped through it today. This will be the first series I don't buy since the return of TF comics. Su's art is beyond terrible and the backgrounds and panels are as bland as can be. IDW will have to do a 180 with this book for me to buy it again.

6. Boo

Ebay:
    While I totally respect your view, man, I gotta ask you one question. Why do you think Su's art is so terrible?

To me it's some of the best art TF comics have ever had... he's quickly becoming my favourite, even over DON. Perhaps the backgrounds could use a little work, but he's already, IMO, improved since Infiltration.

7. GogDog

News Credits:
    I like Su's art, but he could use some better coloring. Some panels are alright, others are just plain bland.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ditto here.

wtf. i can dig it if u say, its not your taste, but terrible? come on.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent, excellent issue, right up there with Spotlight: Nightbeat as my fav IDW comic so far. Pacing was great, the ending was a shocker, since I only tend to glance through soliciations and quickly forget about them, and the dialogue and characterization was also great. Su's art is very nice and getting better, I still like a few other artists more than him, but he's up there, and his style suits the more grounded-in-reality Earth conflict very well.

My only real complaint is that if Sunstreaker and Hunter really ARE dead, I think it was a bit too early to kill them off. Let the audience get really attached to them for a good two years or so before killing any front-and-center characters off, it lends more to the impact, IMO. I mean, with major bad guys it's fine since they're bad guys, you EXPECT them to go get beat up something fierce, but not with the good guys...

10. Boo

Ebay:
    I agree with you on Hunter... we barely knew him. But in all fairness we've had 20+ years to know and love Sunstreaker. Different company and continuity aside... he seemed to be basically the same character.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But he was the only Autobot who hated the humans! That's what made him so endearing!

12. Boo

Ebay:
    I agree I always loved the 'Bot, just countering your point is all.:p 

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :cry  Why couldn't it have been Verity riding in Sunstreaker?! :cry 

I don't get the human soldiers: So they are supposed to be evil? Because it sure seems like it with how they bombed a traffic jam like that with their drones.

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    I assume they are supposed to be "protecting the planet at any cost."

15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

If the autobots can make holographic human forms of themselves. Is it possible megs, is just using the same tech to manipulate people into thinking the autobots are bad and must be destroyed?

16. lobes

lobes You okay, Bumblebee?

where do u guys get the comics from? i dont think they are readily available in australia so i need to find other means....any online comicbook stores?

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Nah, they'll bring him back.

*looks at last page and sheds a single tear*

18. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I got it yesterday, read it and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome stuff. But poor Sunstreaker. It got me wondering...
    Are tf's that fragile that they can get blown up by human weaponry ? I know that nukes can destroy Tf's, but regular weapons ?

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    anyone else notice on page 12 that St. Louis is spelled St. Luis?

20. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I have to say, that if they kill Sunstreaker, it could be a great take on Sideswipe's character if he shows up.