Escaflowne: Dornkirk=Issac Newton?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dalarsco, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

So I just bought Escaflowne on DVD, and I had never seen the entire series before, just scattered episodes. I just watched the one where Dornkirk explained how he had found Zaibach. Since he was an excentric scientist named Issac, does anyone else think he was supposed to be Issac Newton himself?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

WTF dude! Don't put spoilers in the thread title! I've seen the show, but others may not have.

Yes, he is Sir Isaac Newton the alchemist, astrologer, astronomer, and physicist. At least that's what's strongly implied in multiple episodes. It's pretty clear that he's supposed to be, but it's never outright stated as fact.

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Yeah, that is indeed who he is meant to be. Great series, i'm going to marathon the episodes in one day sometime this week...

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Wonderful series, the only thing that make me cringe a little is the whole "Luck intensifier" thing. But in the context it kind of makes sense.

In this world, and given Newton's time period, it is an interesting concept for him to incorporate actual science with "mystical" forces, such as love. It seems hokey on the surface, but if you look at it from his perspective, it makes you appreciate the writers vision.

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I've always wondered if the concept of "Luck intensifier" was translated from Japanese or not.But yeah I haven't seen the show in years but IIRC "Luck intensifier" works in context with the show.

6. flamepanther

Not to mention it's documented and verifiable that Newton was extremely interested in metaphysics and using the stars to predict the future. Destiny prognostication machine, anyone?

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a later episode, Dornkirk says something to the extent of him having discovered gravity. Yeah, he's definitely supposed to be Sir Isaac Newton.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, I never watched the english dub, so I am only going by the subtitles. I assume the dub is the same?

9. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I don't remember him mentioning his discovery of gravity. I just watched the final episode today. The entire thing was amazing. I love these shows that have huge battles and complex philosophy. I really need to watch Evangelion.

10. flamepanther

I don't remember for sure if he mentions discovering gravity, but I know he does talk about it in one of his monologues. He has some sort of speech about his interest in destiny, and compares it to the force of gravity. He might have mentioned discovering it. I don't recall.

11. funkatron101

Ebay:
    The mention is when Hitomi is back in class. Donkirk doesn't mention it, but the teacher's lesson is about Newton's law.

There are enough hints throughout the series that tell you that Donkirk and Newton are the same.

Am I a super geek if I mentioned that I had tears during the scene when Prince Chid's father dies?

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Nah,

anyone who can pull off lookin' like Rick Rude for Halloween's too bad ass to be a geek;)