Error on Universe Repugnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by flywheels, Mar 27, 2006.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I finally picked up the new Universe Overbite & Repugnus set over the weekend and popped the box open late last night. I couldn't help but to notice a small Autobot tampo symbol on Repugnus when I was removing those small, yet annoying twisty ties. Everything on the packaging and instructions label him as a Decepticon.

Does anyone else's Repugnus have the Autobot symbol? In these colors, this Repugnus would look good beside his new Cybertron counterpart of the same name.

2. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    AFAIK, every repugnus has the autobot symbol, which is how I feel he should be. I'm sure there was some sort of miscommunication on someones part that resulted in the erroneous packaging.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As Nevermore suggest in a GD thread, the box designer screwed up. Not sure about the shark, but the bug is supposed to be an autobot.

4. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

damn hasbro and these annoying lil flaws

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, I noticed. Not only the inconsistency with the symbols, but also the comical looking mustache. Heh. Thankfully that's easily fixed.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you ask me, it fits with the old Repugnus' bio. He was always being kicked out of the Autobots for his Decepticon-like behavior and underhanded tactics. And yet when a job came up that was too dirty for an Autobot to do, they'd bring him back in to do it. So I look at him as a kind of counter espionage agent for the Autobots.

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never thought of that, but you are right!

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

A very cool homage to the original I think. What other existing mold could've worked better for Repugnus than Buzzclaw, who is already a reptilian/bug monster thing? I'm even thinking of using him as my Neo-G1 Repugnus.

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the Autobot faction assigned to Repugnus, as HiroPrime just explained, it does fit nicely with his original g1 bio.

Although for the upside down mouth error, is it really easy to fix for basically everyone?

I'm having a hard time manually splitting the halves of the head even with the little screw taken out. I'm afraid mine's glued since the paint job on the forehead looks pretty even.:( 

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I thought mine was glued too, but it turns out it really wasn't; the pieces just hold together really tight.

11. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Yeah, there's a little peg and hole that help hold the halves of the head together. I seperated the head by putting the screwdriver head into the opening on the underside, and used the screwdriver as leverage to pry the halves apart. The head came apart easily, and I didn't even break the peg.

I'd take pics, but I don't have Repugnus at school with me.

12. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Just took a little razor blade, slipped it into the crack and used it to pry the halves apart. Easy fix.

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I don't really recommend that Primevil's method be used alone, especially not with excessive force. I've sort of mastered the technique through my own experiences, as I've mentioned many times before. The original Buzzclaw's head was not ever glued, and prying it apart with that method required very little prying with that screwdriver. Botcon repaint heads were sealed with glue though, and that meant using a screwdriver could seriously damage the back of the head.

I thank Hasbro so much for learning their lesson about the misassembly and making the fix a lot easier this time around by using no glue, but keep in mind that paint apps do sort of "seal" the halves of the bug head together. Ideally, you'll want to start prying the head apart just a bit with a screwdriver, then using a chisel or blade to slice along the head seam and pry it apart from the front.

14. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Oh yeah, it didn't require much force at all. I was going to use an x-acto knife to pry the head apart from the top, but couldn't find one at the time.

As a matter of fact, I recommend that method over the one I used.

15. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I haven't picked this up yet myself (I opted for the two Devvy sets), but I do know someone else who picked it up, and he was wondering about this. I'll have to point him at this thread.

It doesn't sound like a hard fix, not like getting the pins out of Universe BOTB Magnus proved to be (on mine, the pin in the right arm didn't want to come out, which turned a simple fix into an ordeal). I do know (from working on repaints of other toys--I usually take them apart as much as possible) that paint does work to seal cracks whenever it's applied. You'll want to be careful not to chip it along the sides. It probably won't happen unless you jam a blade in there too hard or too quickly, but it's worth noting.

16. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Hopefully the operation is successful...:)