Episode lead-ins take the show to another level

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Prowl, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While the show could still have potentially sucked despite this, I love how Prime's creators chose to follow the format of more adult shows when leading into these episodes.

They begin with a few minutes of episode and then cut to the logo (in silence) followed by two slates of the producing staff. They chose this over the "It takes, Different Strokes, it takes Different Strokes to rule the world," Theme song with the characters smiling as they look at the camera. I hope they continue this, because it really feels like it leaves the cartoon realm when it avoids the traditional theme song with cuts from the show spliced in.

Also, might as well mention mad props to these guys for teasing the SHIT out of us for months by showing less footage than the movie trailers. Up until Friday, we watched the same footage for months, and they could have showed us so much more, especially considering certain events that took place in the episode that no one could have anticipated.

Thanks for approaching Transformers with respect.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HAHAHA yeah I love it too. At first I thought i'd miss an intro with a theme song but it's so much better to go straight to the action.

Plus, no intro... means more episode time!

3. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

I dunno, I like it, but only because US transformers opening credits usually are nothing to write home about. While I was watching it I found myself wondering if it'll get a kickass japanese opening like Animated did.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, don't get me wrong. I loved Animated's opening, especially the theme song. But it's nice to see something different, as well as risky and mature, for a show that wants us to know that it's "not just for the kids".

But Shroob's right. It's like "ok, let's get this title crap out of the way and get back to the action." I hope I'm right. Since this is a mini (almost like a short movie), I hope they weren't skipping the intro to fit it all in.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The lead-in reminded me of the original Clone Wars cartoon, and now just as it did then, it gives the impression of something that's not wasting time introducing itself, and just wants to get down to business. I like it. :) 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It also reminded me of the ending slates to LOST.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm so used to everything having a theme song that it's a little strange, but I have to admit it has an approach more akin to more mature shows, which is exactly what this is. It's more mature than most TF series and needs that certain air to it so fans of the movies, and nothing else, will take it seriously.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I hope they produce signature opening titles for when the regular series starts.

I dunno, you go look up shows for nostalgia, the first thing you do is go on Youtube and check the opening credits. I felt like this had nothing. For about the first 5 minutes I kept expecting something to come up. What they had felt cheaply reminiscent of the movie. It's probably the one thing that actually disappointed me in the whole show.

A good intro really sets the stage. It gets you in the mood. It doesn't have to be some cheesy bit where each character folds their arms and cracks a grin. It should be something stylish and iconic. Encapsulating the show with some real money shots and a theme that has a hook you can't get out of your head. Maybe use stylised renders and top-notch animation that really showcases the designs. Maybe something more abstract. It should be something you want to watch again and again.

Think of some of the iconic opening credits everyone remembers. Knight Rider, The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, The Sopranos. Not to mention some of the awesome TF intros we've had over the years.

It's one of the great art forms in television.

Maybe now that they've set the tone for the show they can produce something that captures the flavour of it.

9. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Eh they probably will, but I'd rather have 'em at least keep the SCENE BEFORE TITLE thing. I love that.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    A lot of "adult' shows have intros, too. They have the lead-ins, but also a theme song.

I woudl like a theme song for the full series. Theme songs are just great, they get you in the mood and can just be kick-ass.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I, for one, hope they NEVER make an intro kerjigger. I really love what they've been doing so far, like mentioned, it cuts the flashy crap and moves onto the story.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm split... like Lip (see what I did there?). On one hand, a kick-ass intro with the new theme would be killer, but I also like the "get to the point" attitude of the show now.

13. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this because it has the same feel as another of my favorite shows, "Supernatural." You get the cold opening teaser, the title card, then BAM! The story starts. Supernatural doesn't need an opening credit sequence and TFP doesn't seem to need one either.

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think after the 5-parter is done we'll see something more akin to a formal intro, but the show does have a more mature tone to it and if they're truly trying to give it a movie feel and not a cartoon vibe, the current format certainly achieves that.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I'll be honest, I really just want a clean rip of that theme song.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if they think it worthy enough to release a score, even if it's just digital.

17. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    imfine with it, though i get the feeling that will only be for the mini-series...

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I don't think the absence of an lead in themesong is better, but at the same time, I don't mind that it's not there, either. This show feels like it doesn't really need one.

19. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    I kind of want an opening credit sequence, just because I like them, but I do agree it does feel like the show doesn't really need one.