Episode 6 Masters & Students Discussion (spoiler alert)

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by janeDoe001, Feb 11, 2011.

1. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Fowler's role kind of bothered me. I guess he was just cruising around. Skyquake was excellent. Very nice representation and his BFG was sweet. I absolutely love this Starscream. Ratchet also continues to crack me up. The end of this episode was hilarious.

2. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another thing I would have wanted in this episode is more emotional impact.

I would have wanted to realize through the character's actions what emotions they were feeling. I would have wanted to be cheering for the characters such as Bumblebee and Prime during battle instead of wondering what they were saying. The same goes for Skyquake. I would have wanted to feel something about him and his fate.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing shows where the battle has a lot of tension where the characters themselves are revealing a lot of their emotions. Because though the battle animation itself was good, they didn't seem to use the battle to convey character's emotions and motivatons. There wasn't much emotional significance in the conflict.

I'll compare this episode's battle with the battle between Prime and Megatron in 'Darkness Rsing'. I felt there was tension in their fight, because I know that there is a lot of history between the two. And I kind of liked the dialogue which was revealing a lot of what they felt. Also, their actions made it seem more personal. So comparing that battle(Optimus versus Megatron) and this battle(Skyquake versus Prime and Bumblebee) the latter isn't at the same level.

So, I'd like the next episodes to be even better in those venues.

3. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

great episode skyquake,bee,screamer,ratchet,prime and yes fowler

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good episode and lots of stuff that I liked in here.

* I hope SkyQuake isn't done for. He made a great entrance into the series and I immediately liked him.

* The kids were all just fine. Even Miko, who I know grated on some nerves during the pilot, was far from annoying.

* The science project sub-plot was funny! Ratchet getting hyped on helping the kids was just creepy/funny to see and I was laughing the whole time I saw Rad's volcano crackling with electricity. Then when it erupted- OMG!! :D 

* The scene in space was very atmospheric in that quiet, tranquil way that I appreciate. And I like that Starscream ripped the dark energon out of Megatron. He's doing as much as anyone could expect to make sure his leader stays dead. Reminds me, I love his line, "And this time stay dead!"

* I liked that Starscream was ambitious but still warned his master of danger during the pilot movie. But I also like that, after seeing Megatron lose his faculties during the 5-parter, that he's not willing to let a crazed maniac return to life and take away his moment to shine. I kind of feel myself rooting for Starscream as he tries to keep Megatron from ever coming back to life.

* I liked that Prime tried to reason with Starscream and SkyQuake. This is the guy that's out there trying everything in his power to find peace. It really says something to me that they showed Prime extending the olive branch before busting out the big guns- something that they failed to show in ROTF.

* Something I noticed- Starscream says he'll consider talks of peace if Prime bows to him. If Prime bows, he's showing subservience to Starscream, who clearly is not his equal in rank or experience the way that Megatron was. If he refuses to bow, then he's denying any chance of talking peace. How to resolve this situation? Have SkyQuake disrupt the peace talks! Clever, clever.

Overall just a simple, solid episode. Good start for the regular series.

5. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

Great episode. Keep em coming.

6. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    This last bit intrigued me. If everyone else co-operated (and megatron stayed dead), Sarscream could well be a more successful leader than megatron. Does anyone think Prime would have bowed - humiliated himself for a chance at rebuilding his race? I have a feeling G1 Prime prime might have, but I don't know about this one enough to make a call. (I also have a feeling movie prime wouldn't - not without a shiv in his hand or something.)

Any thoughts anyone?

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I also got a lot more of the "Creepy watchful" Soundwave vibe that everyone's been talking about during this episode. There were more shots of him just staring silently, unlike the pilot where he was just kinda in the background. Soundwave and Starscream were really the stars of this episode for me.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My initial thought is that Starscream would never consider peace with the Autobots and was merely mocking Prime. With Soundwave covertly recording the entire scene, all the Decepticons would see Prime humiliating himself before Starscream. Maybe a good way to rally the troops, which he had trouble with earlier?

But would Prime even bow?

Something else I just remembered. SkyQuake seems to have more respect for Bumblebee and Prime than he does for Starscream. I thought it was a nice touch that even though he had orders to terminate Prime, he nonetheless showed admiration and even regret towards his opponents. It was kind of like he was saying, "Nothing personal, but I have my orders."

9. JBStuka

JBStuka Well-Known Member

This really is a nice post. Breaks down pretty much everything I thought about also. However in addition to this;

• I agree about SkyQuake - Instantly LOVED this guy. I really really hope he isn't completely gone in one episode. (Which, when you consider the interviews, and they talk about the costs and what it takes to develop a new character for this show... I doubt he is gone after only 20 mins of use.) His Jet mode looked great and the colors were just awesome (Loved the green and oranges). All I kept thinking was how awesome would he be as a voyager size toy to show off his size compared to the rest. (However I can easily see him being a slight re-mold of RotF Breakdown)

• Yes, Miko was finally at least tolerable. (I wanted to shoot her during the pilot episodes... except when she "hurled" on Bulkhead's floormats...Too Funny!!!)

• That Volcano was awesome!!! And Ratchet is definitely my favorite character at the moment. I just love his demeanor. Such a control freak and nit-picker. I think he will quickly prove to be his own worst enemy. Like Wheeljack in G1. He also just has a really nice "clean" look. (I really hope they make a nice looking toy of him - considering how great all the others look. And I hope they use a dark burnt orange like in the show and not some crazy bright orange on his white.)

• I also would like to see Starscream at least control the ranks for a while. Perhaps he'll eventually decide to bring Megatron back after digging himself so deep into a hole he has no choice. Better than Megatron being back right away. Interested to see how this develops.

• Prime reasoning with Starscream and SkyQuake; Easily my favorite sequence. Like you said, amazing to see Prime extend the olive branch before the gun. I instantly found myself wanting to see SkyQuake decide to switch ranks (Really wish he would have - then he wouldn't be dead already). And I loved how Starscream at least considered it for a brief moment... Even if it was for a selfish reason. I think this scene really shows these guys have a lot more depth to their character other than robots blazing guns and just shooting each other. If done right this could turn out to be a critical moment for future stories.

Overall; I loved the episode. I just HATE that I now have to wait a WEEK to see where this goes. :) 

10. JBStuka

JBStuka Well-Known Member

I say yes if it truly would mean Peace. Prime is not above showing humility. He actually rises to greater heights by showing that kind of lowliness.

Which is why it then relates to what you said about SkyQuake. I think it's that very thing: Prime's humility and inner strength as well as his skills as a leader and warrior that SkyQuake respects. The way he treats Starscream really shows us two things:

1. SkyQuake has no use for or "respect" for others like Starscream - someone who has no level of personal or any kind of honor.

2. That Starscream has already built up a bad reputation from eons ago and that it hangs over him like a veil - SkyQuake was buried for thousands of years but instantly disregarded Starscream as any kind of leader.

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Starscream is so dead. XD If Soundwave manage to record his "lil talk" with Megatron then he is pretty much screwed. And i dont wanna think what will happen if he decides to pull the plug of Megatron. ^^ And i am really liking his personality, kinda a bit crazy and freaky.
    Soundwave still creeps me out. ^^ The moment he decides to talk and take actions of his own, i am sure he is gonna rock. Besides, we already saw that he is not too fond about following Starscream's leadership.
    Ratchet has gone mad! XD I want the Cybertron's replica he did for Miko. XD The killer..chainsaw? Was awesome. XD Reminded me a lot to Homer's automatic hammer. :p  The Volcano was the best! XD
    Skyquake was killer! Loving his BGF of Death. :rock  Too bad he died too soon. :S Oh well, there is always DArk Energon in the universe. ;)  I really hope we get a toy of him.
    I am still love of the animation, all the action sequences were gorgeous. T////T
    Cant wait to the next episode!!

12. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Nah Starscream is gonna stick himself with the dark energon he took out of Megatron. The immortal traitor!

13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    For immortal beatings from Megatron? sure, it worked for Animated Starscream and it was fun to watch. XD

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Would Prime have bowed? This has come up before in this thread. And it's a good question.

I don't think Prime is above showing humility if he believed there was a genuine chance for peace, if it would save others, if it was his last or best option in a dire situation, or perhaps if it was part of some plan to trick the Decepticons and divert their attention. But I don't believe he would bow simply to appease an enemy for the promise of a (most likely) temporary halt to the fighting. Prime's not so foolish to give in so easily. He'd need greater reson to show submission. It's like asking whether he would ever surrender himself to the enemy? He would if forced to.

In this instance then, I don't think Prime would have bowed to Starscream. Starscream was obviously more interested in having Prime submit to him than in ending the war. Prime would see little point in giving in to him at that time and would know better than to trust him. Prime's willing and hoping for peace, but he's won't simply back down to his enemies when he knows they're being insincere.

Skyquake struck me as a warrior with a strict personal code of honour that was tied closely to his loyalty to his master. To deviate from that would have been shameful for him, hence why he was fierecely loyal to the end. But he could recognise other warriors like him with admirable courage and honour, which is why he could respect and express some pity for Optimus and BB and why he had little respect for Starscream (who i think he held in lower regard as a warrior). Shame that his time was brief really. Skyquake, I salute you for bringing honour into the Decepticon ranks.

Something else that I've been thinking: who else thinks that Megatron was semi-aware of Starscream when he found him in Space? I wouldn't be surprised if SS's in trouble again when Megatron wakes up.

15. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thought it was a cool episode. Have watched it like 3 times already.

I like the idea of Fowler flying without any protective gear. He's an oddball, patriotic government agent who gets to occasionally talk to large alien bots about national security. Of course, he's got a screw loose. He's not exactly in a normal everyday environment. He saved Bumblebee from the same fate as Skyquake, so I say he's on a very short list of useful humans in Transformers through the years and that covers a lot.

More picking apart of Transformers who don't talk? Transformers communicating in their unique ways is a long standing part of the series. That goes back to Blaster and Wheelie rhyming, Grimlock/The Dinobots talking like demanding 3 year olds, Ravage, Buzzsaw, & Laserbeak making only animal sounds, the Insecticons' speech impediments, & Wreck-Gar talking T.V. That's all just in G1 too.

To the episode, I just don't see Skyquake as finished up as Cliffjumper. Cliff's death and mutilation drove home a larger story. Skyquake was a rare 'Con who had respectability be large part of he was and what his foes also had for him. Ratchet had that mad scientist persona really going well especially when he insisted on the projects being done right. To think he sort of didn't like the kids at first. Megatron is on the mend without the infused dark energon that kept him alive. That should prove quite the story when he no longer needs the downtime and resurfaces.

Really can't wait for this Friday to come.

16. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Overall a good episode, and I liked how prime seemed to be a little less stoic than normal, something I was really hoping for.

Also, when Skyquake said "But it is my duty", straight away in my mind I added "To please that booty".

Made me chuckle anyway!

17. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

This episode was pretty good. Skyquake was awesome, there is just something totally badass about a 'Con with a chaingun! :D  Hope he comes back at some point, he's someone I'd like to see in action more often throughout the course of the show.

Ratchet was great in this episode. He reminded me of my dad growing up when I had a science project. :p 

Looking forward to more Prime episodes! :cool: 

18. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    What's up with all recent Megatrons spend most of their time sleeping or inactive?

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Glad you brought that up B_O..I thought the same thing..if there had been enough of the Dark Energon left in his spark chamber, I think Megs would have choked Starscream again..Megs eyes were glowing, he was aware for that moment b4 SS pulled out the DE, so yep, I think old SS will have another aft-kicking coming when Megatron does revive...and revive he will :ev: 

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skyquake was totally playing possum. Watch him close his eyes suddenly when Prime shows up.

This is my favourite Soundwave ever. D: