Episode 18 - Metal Attraction Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Xaddion, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Fucking magnets, how do they work?

2. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    As I said before...MAGIIIIC

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Looks like Bulkhead's gonna be quite the chick magnet in this episode. *rimshot*

4. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

:lol 

5. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should be an interesting episode. I cant wait to find out what the decpticons plan are for this weapon.

6. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Between a super magnet and stealing a giant lens, I love how insanely G1 the Prime Cons are.

7. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Hope it's interesting, and not just random filler

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hub press release says this episode will have an "Epic battle between Ratchet and Megatron".

Needless to say that's a good reason to be excited.

9. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    Remember when TV show episodes weren't judged on whether or not they were "filler?" I certainly miss that.

10. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Filler is okay if it is good filler.

11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I guess I'm just used to filler episodes being bad in general. If it's a good episode, it doesn't matter if it's filler.

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    And again I'd like to hear why do people keep saying that about Prime when out of 17 episodes only two didn't move on facts of the show (Scrapheap and Speed Metal) and even then those two still had major continuity nods proving that even when something isn't game changing the writers are VERY aware that the episode happened (again, Con Job used Scrapheap's threat as a huge part of it's plot).

13. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I guess they want dramatic, earth-shaking events in every episode. The problem with that is, after so much of it, the audience becomes desensitized to it. That and the writers have problems topping themselves.

14. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

It's pretty much the reason why I firmly believe writers should almost rarely ever listen to fans.

15. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I don't think writers should listen to fans at all. Consensus breeds banality, IMO. Not every ep needs *sigh* "epic" battles and the sharing of earth-shattering secrets. (I really hate the word "epic". It is overused and meaningless.) That's not why I watch the show, or any show for that matter.

I'm excited to see how this episode plays out. Considering that
    we've heard in previous eps that Arcee isn't Bulkhead's number one fan, the hijinks that come from being stuck together
    should be interesting.

16. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Majority season of Transformers Prime seems to be just random episodes put in together.

Though there are episodes that are interlinked together by random facts they rarely have shown a plot that is developed to encompass the entire season.

Season 1 of Animated had the plot of Megatron fulfilling various tasks to get his body back on the background, while minor stories were being told. It climaxes with Megatron gaining his body back and battling the autobots.

Season 2 of Animated had Megatron building a space bridge through out the season in the background. It climaxed with Megatron fighting the autobots for control over the space bridge.

Season 3 has Megatron obtain Omega Supreme and attempt to use this technology against the autobots, which climaxed in the battle betwen Omega Supreme clones and the autobots.

This isn't only found in stories from Animated. Other series follow something similar and various story arcs follow a similar pattern.

Naruto for example had the main character and various characters do varous tasks to prepare for the battle against the character Pain. One dies stealing information, Naruto trains and others investigate the new threat. All lead to a climax where both Pain and Naruto confront each other, with Naruto using the sacrifices he and his comrades have made to win the battle.

At the moment, Prime seems to be about random episodes just put in together, since there is no overall objective. No major story arc that holds together the many minor stories.

In some ways this can make it less rewarding to try to catch every episode week after week, and in this case after a very long break. It can also make the series feel directionless.

On a side note, recently I've begun to think that Mech's development of Chimera is the major story arc of the season.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't wait for this episode. I always like episodes in a series where a silly scenario happens. Honestly, I don't give two shits if something is filler or not. As long as the episode is enjoyable then I'll watch it.

18. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Darkness Rising part 1 to 5 is all a big story about the return of the Decepticons and Dark Energon

Master and Students up to Out of his Head got Starscream not only trying to destroy the Autobots to gain faith from his troops but also about Megatron's condition, ending with the big boss himself managing to revive him by taking advantage of Bee's mental patch.

Then of course there's the two separate threats of Airachnid who is now planning to take revenge on Arcee and Jack since she's stranded on the planet and also Mech, a terrorist organization with the objective of producing Cybertronian based technology.

The episodes are made so one can watch them without worrying about missing others as confirmed by the writers, but that doesn't mean that there's no on-going story arc. In fact they got MULTIPLE threats/story-arcs at once and that fits with the theme that the Autobots are stranded on Earth but consider it their new home and plan to protect it, be it from human or alien villains, as Optimus said himself in Darkness Rising, right now their objective is to defend their home and their human wards.

By the way, you used TFA Season 3 as example, and that is the exact same thing going on with Season 1 of Prime. A bunch of unrelated arcs going at once. First three are Transwarped, then we get Waspinator arc, then Human Error, with two stand alone single episode arcs for Three's a Crowd and Five Servos of Doom, with Megatron only becoming part of the show again for the last three episodes where he reveals and tries his Omega Clone plan.

19. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe this one.
    This one seems a bit disjointed.

Starscream's quest to gain loyalty from his troops following Megatron's demise seemed to have only been played out in Masters and students, after which didn't seem to show much progression. He may have convinced Knockout, but only for an episode or two and even then it didn't seem to be true loyalty.

Also Megatron's quest to regain his body lasted two episodes. So I don't think that can be considered a major storyline for the season.

I disagree with Airachnid.

She has a grudge against Arcee and Jack. But just having one character have bad feelings on another character doesn't make a major story arc, imo. She may want revenge, but her plans seem to only pop out in the very episode that they're executed in. There's no build up there. Nor preparation. And therer's no progress.

As I stated previously though, Mech seems to be the one with the major story arc that's being built up by prior episodes. So I agree with that.

Major story arcs from my understanding are built in my many episodes moving to a specific objective or direction. The threats you've stated are only conflicts but aside from Mech don't seem to be building up to something.

I don't think that Optimus Prime's objective to defend the world can be considered a major story arc for the season by itself. Maybe if its Optimus Prime decides to spend the season preparing to attack and finish off the Decepticons, climaxing with Optimus Prime enacting the plan in the end of the episode. But as of now, aside from countering random attacks by the Decepticons, I don't think that can be considered the major story arc.

And I too think that the writers may have written these episodes so people don't need to know what came before. But in my opinion, they've had to sacrifice some structure and direction for the season.

20. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    The writers CONFIRMED they wrote them like that. It's all written to be standalone but sadly it will change for Season 2 (it'll be all part of a story arc so missing episodes will be problem)

I didn't say Optimus' objetive was a story arc, I said that all the multiple story arcs instead of a major big one fits the Autobot's purpose in the show, they're not here to defeat the Decepticons in a final showndown, they're protecting the planet, and they get problems on multiple fronts. I also didn't say that Airachnid was a story arc, only another separate threat. It looks like you thought I was saying that those are all major story arcs, I didn't say that, I'm saying that atleast for Season One the approach of various different threats as opposed to a whole season of a dude wanting to build a space bridge or something is more fitting for the show and also pointing out that your exampel of Animated was a bad one because it also does the same thing as Prime with various unrelated arcs until the finale of the season.

By the way Starscream's quest for power wasn't just Master and Students, Con Job and Convoy were both more assasination missions, he even said it himself in Out of his Head that he wanted to show he was more epic than Megatron wit his... uh... LENS STEALING thing, also Master Students and Deus Ex Machina are also part of building up to Megatron's return, even Speed Metal can count considering that explained why he didn't look like a junkyard piece when revived.

Plus, there's still 9 episodes to go before season ends, as far as we know there's even more things in the past that will end up important soon and thus causing a connection.