Epic fail Battleship

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I was just on box office mojo i saw that Battleship is already down to only 942 theaters. In only a about a month they have lost about 3/4 of their theaters. Hasbro you should have seen this coming. I knew this movie wasn't going to be huge. Unlike Transformers which has a huge fan base and GI Joe which has a decent fan base Battleship has no fan base because its just a board game. I thought to myself when i saw the trailer that it looks ok but I'm not to going to waste my money on it when there are the Avengers. DKR, and Expendables 2. Also Gi Joe 2 before it got pushed out. Those movies took prioty on what to save my money for. So i new for a fact that this would be ok a the Box office. But Hasbro thought a $209 Million budget would be good idea for movie with no Brand recognition. Yeah...... Thats a higher budget then any of the Transformers movies.... Why would they invest so much into this movie? Im just a 15 year old but i knew this wasn't going to be huge. The point is Hasbro you complete screwed yourself. (Yes i know it made the money back in other countries) BTW i haven't seen the movie myself but i might when its out on DVD and On Demand

Battleship (2012) - Box Office Mojo

2. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
  3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    And...this couldn't have gone into the various other Battleship-related threads because...?

Yeah, those numerous film producers, company executives and film distributors who have been in the business for years should always listen to us armchair film experts on the interwebz. We know our shit. :rolleyes:  Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the film was great or that it should've been more successful or not, simply what a lot of people seem to forget.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

They were trying to follow up on the success of the Transformers films, which is anything but a new idea in the movie business, or anything that can have a franchise period (I.E. the sharp rise in vampire-related media after the popularity boom for Twilight). The director is also an idiot and is trying to rationalize the movie's shortcomings as being the result of a two-week late release after Avengers. It's not impossible for a movie based on a board game to actually be good (I.E. the surprisingly entertaining Clue movie from a few years back), it just requires things that Battleship just didn't have.

Plus, you're being silly if you think the size of the fanbase has ANYTHING to do with how well the Transformers films were. I'm sure for ROTF AND DOTM, much of the profit came from the more expensive tickets for the IMAX and 3D showings than overall ticket sales in general, that's how Cameron's Avatar managed to be so profitable.

5. Hotshotprime43

3D tickets do help movies and the reason I mentioned the fan base is what i meant by brand recognition. I mean Battleship is a well known board game but its not exactly movie material. i bet a movie based off the game could be good and maybe this movie is (Haven't seen it)

6. Hotshotprime43

I admit I'm not always correct on this matter. I thought Avatar wasn't going to be a successful movie (Money wise) But i also predicted John Cater wasn't going to go too good Domestically and i was right it was a moderate success (Thanks do other countries)

Then again i though Red Tails would do good at the box office (It was a GREAT MOVE!) But it didn't even make up the budget...

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Battleship proudly states it is from the same company that brought "Transformers", so the idea is that it's associating with a successful series to try and make it seem like it's the same quality to what people know.

You're talking about Battleship, right? It's hard to tell if you're referring to that or my mention of Clue with how you worded that sentence. But Battleship is a crap movie anyway where all the focus is on the special effects more than the lousy story.

8. Hotshotprime43

I was talking about Battleship. Ill see it eventuallty and its rare for me to find a movie that i think is completely shit

9. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Completely agreed. But, for the bolded part there...

The extra 3D sales boost doesn't actually account for as much as some people think (some people think that without 3D, some movies would just flat-out bomb). A hefty amount, yes, I won't argue that. But let's take a look at some numbers.

What percentage of tickets sold for DotM were for 3D showings?
    > ~60% (3D Ticket Sales by Percentage - 3D Ticket Share for All Wide Releases) for domestic sales, and I'm just assuming around the same for overseas sales (more or less).

Now, consider that a $15 3D ticket is still a ticket. It’s a ticket purchase. Bought. Paid for with the intention of viewing the movie. It is still a $12 ticket. The person is seeing the movie. The only difference is, it has an additional $3 for the 3D aspect.

So, $3 of every $15 3D ticket sold is for 3D. That’s 1/5 of of those 3D ticket purchases (~60% of ticket purchases). So, that’s ~12% of the total grossings for Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Which, at this time:

$1.123 billion x ~12% = ~$135 million. So, not accounting for the extra 3D, DotM could've still garnered $988 million.

Heck, even if I was shooting on the low side or seeing as how ticket prices vary for different places, or if 3D was more popular or less popular overseas, it’s not out of the question to assume DotM would’ve still managed $900 million+ without the 3D cost. I might also be shooting on the high-side, who knows?

If we're going to start really looking at film's grossings and trying to see how successful the would've been without 3D, there's a lot of movies (Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter atDHPartII, Puss in Boots, Pirates 4, Avengers, etc.) that would suddenly become a lot less financially successful, not just DotM. You're basically taking anywhere from 5-15% of the movies' grossings if you cancel out the additional 3D charge. A fair chunk, but they'd still be huge movies.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The phrase "epic fail" has been so overrused it has ceased to have any real meaning. The mere fact that this film has already made money puts it ahead of the 1986 Transformers film and countless others that fail to achieve even that.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Meh, still an awesome movie.

12. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I'm with you, brah. I enjoyed it too. :D