Entering the BotCon fanart contest

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Hi Q, May 16, 2007.

1. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I've brought this up before. Now in a somewhat different form, since a deadline is getting closer.
    Has anyone succesfully managed to get a spot in the fanart contest yet? As in confirmed? How?

2. Hi Q

News Credits:
    Because I'm not sure where I'm more likely to get a useful answer I'm copying this from the conventions forum. Mods, if this shouldn't be here, go ahead and remove it. Anyway, copying:

I've brought this up before. Now in a somewhat different form, since a deadline is getting closer.
    Has anyone succesfully managed to get a spot in the fanart contest yet? As in confirmed? How?

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was told to email Christie and tell her which contest you want to enter. I just emailed her to confirm my spot and she got back to me pretty quick.

4. Dissever

Dissever Mad Scientist

The BotCon site pretty much tells you to call them up about a month ahead of time with the size of the space you need, and then they say whether or not they have the space. :)  The presented art must be matted and be able to be hung, so be sure to use the dimensions of your mat (if it's 2D art) when inquiring about space. From what I can tell, it is not a juried process.

I'll probably need a 16x20 for the 2D B&W section, myself... >.>

5. Dissever

Dissever Mad Scientist

6. Hi Q

News Credits:
    Thanks. Don't have a 2D entry myself, but it's cleared up anyway, also with help from the answer in my thread the convention forum.

7. Hi Q

News Credits:
    And so it's that easy for me now as well. It wasn't before, but that doesn't matter anymore now. Thanks.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i've managed to submitmy classics Wheeljack and my Classics Liokaiser in teh figure contest.

9. Hi Q

News Credits:
    This is why I feel I won't win anything... though I'm still entering. The figures contest is for figures really... plastic stuff. I'm only in that category because it fits best after eliminating the others.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know if they're running it the same way they did last year (although I suspect they will), but here's my little account of how last year's went. It's obviously from the perspective of a "2D" entrant, but the principles seemed the same whatever category you enter.
    First, I emailed Angie about entering; this was basically a formality to let them know that you will need a space, and how much room you'll need. I took my entries rolled up in stiff car tubes (I took multiples of each, just in case; HiQ, other 2D entrants: you might want to print out a couple of copies of your entry or take the files with you on disc, in case they get damaged on the way there. I did both); when I got there I took my entries to the display area and filled in a little form; since my entries were 2D they supplied me with backing cards & glue and such, so they could be displayed properly, and cards so I could fill in details about my entries.
    The judges included Aaron Archer and Eric Siebenaler. I believe they were all Hasbro people, actually.
    Winning was... nerve wracking, to say the least. Frankly, I got myself nice and tipsy beforehand (I don't deal with stress well LOL). They announced the winners, by category, at the dinner. I was called up to the front where Brian Savage gave my the trophy and my prize money. They do have boxes for the trophies, incidentally; we collected them from the dealer room the next day.

All in all it was a very painfree experience, and everything went really well. And holy crap, it was so worth it to get this:
    [​IMG]
    Not to mention what I bought with the prize money ;) 
    Anyways, I hope that helps a little. And good luck to all of you; I'm not entering this year (I'm trying to get Transformers: Redemption Episode 2 finished in time to show it to peple there) but I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with, and applauding the winners! :thumb 

11. Hi Q

News Credits:
    I'm not in 2D, I'm in 3D. I do however only need 2 Bumblebee's and I've built 3 that will all come along.
    I don't drink, but dealing with stress isn't hard for someone, like me, who doesn't know how to not be stressed and thus is very much used to it.
    I'm entering mostly to show off, as I still see the custom figures category mostly for plastic stuff, like actual real figures, not for paper made stuff.

And I don't know why Eric Siebenaler is, but I wouldn't want anyone to write/sign on my stuff. (Signatures hold no value for me.)

There, dunno why I felt the need to reply to all those little points... but I did.

12. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Eric Siebenaler is one of the Hasbro designers I believe.

I entered an edited photo of Jazz Hard Hero Bust last year and won third place in 2-D format. Not entering this year, but the best of luck to those that are! :) 

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    He's the head of hasbro's Boys' Toys division.