Enquiring about All Hail Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by CyclonuS_ZerO, Apr 4, 2011.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So I've preordered the Complete Collection of the series and am pretty excited about it. This is the series where the Autobot mentioned in Last Stand of the Wreckers is the traitor right? It's also the series where the characters are more or less designed after the Classics figures correct? Yet another question that I think I have the answer to, Sunstreaker dies doesn't he? I'm sure all this has been discussed so I apologize in advance, I'm just trying to get my facts straight. I only know this much because of various covers I've seen for the series. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. XD

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes to all your points, except - and while trying to avoid spoilers for future stories - "dying" in the Transformers universe is all very relative... much like the Marvel universe, characters only stay dead until another creator decides he wants 'em back!

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Also just to warn you if you didn't know already, only volumes 1 and 2 of AHM are actually "All Hail Megatron". Vol 3 is just a bunch of randomly thrown together spotlight stories. No idea what volume 4 is, but I can't imagine it ties in with 1 & 2 at all, bearing in mind that the story finished at the end of vol 2.

Tbh, I feel that making it 4 volumes under the same name is a huge rip off. Good job I found out after buying the first two TPBs.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Volume 4 are AHM issues 14-16, originally planned as the AHM "Coda".

Also, be warned that AHM was a rather controversial story at the time of its release, because it didn't particularly bother with the established IDW continuity at first, because it screws up several established characters pretty well (and purely for shock value), and because of what many (including me) perceive as sub-par writing even when viewed as a standalone story.

5. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    While all this is technically true (although the "sub-par writing" could be debated) I'd just like to add something. As a retelling of the classic G1 toon "More Than Meets The Eye" miniseries, along with the better part of season 1, AHM is very good update. It manages to incorporate a large nubmer of key details from that media and it irons out a lot of continuity screw-ups (from the 'toon NOT the current storyline).

Vol. 3 & 4 do try to rectify the large number of gaping holes left in the continuity (the current comic one) but they also tend to feel like they were just tacked on to apease the masses who really were in an uproar over the obvious screwups.

Bottom line, if you're a fan of the G1 'toon, I predict you'll like this story. If you're a fan of the Furman IDW stuff, well, try to enjoy it anyway.

6. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It was like they gave a big middle finger to Furman.

7. Nevermore

News Credits:
    It also gives a middle finger to things such as pacing, realistic character writing and coherence.

Here's an example, I'll mark it as a spoiler for those who haven't read it yet:

At the end of issue 7, Ironhide beats up Mirage, suspecting him of being a traitor. Everyone, including Sunstreaker, stares at him with a shocked expression on their faces.

Issue 8 reveals that Sunstreaker is the real traitor.

That's no real suspense at the end of issue 7. "Wow, Ironhide sure was outraged! ZOMG, who may the traitor be?" Doesn't work for me.

What would have worked better, as far as I'm concerned, would have been this ending:

Ironhide beats up Mirage. Suddenly Sunstreaker grabs Ironhide's fist. "Stop it!" Ironhide won't let go. "STOP IT! He isn't the traitor!" Ironhide won't have any of it. "How can you be so sure?" "Because IT WAS ME."

END OF ISSUE

That would have added actual suspense, instead of a mere "Wow, things are pretty bad, huh?" ending. (The actual twist is still stupid, but at least it would have been better paced that way.)

There's plenty of examples like this in the story. McCarthy doesn't understand how to properly plot a story. Some of the ideas aren't necessarily bad per se, but the execution is severely flawed. That, and a lot is done purely for shock value. And all the bad clich├ęs, especially in the first issue.

8. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Your idea of a cliffhanger would have worked a lot better. I can't agree more about a lot of what happened being done for shock value, like
    Hunter's death.

9. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The worst example of bad plotting for me was Optimus Prime.

<Autobots> Oh noes, Optimus Prime has been severely injured, and Ratchet may not be able to actually fix him! Without Prime, we're doomed!

<Optimus Prime> Hi guys, I got better!

There was no build-up, no foreshadowing, it was a totally stupid deus ex machina twist.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ That was bloody stupid. It totally undermined all the suspense vol. 1 had built up.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much enjoyed it overall, but after vol. 1, vol. 2 cleans it all up far too quickly and you're left feeling unsatisfied.

11. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One also couldn't help the feeling that, after issue 6, someone tapped McCarthy on the shoulder and told him:
    "Hey, you do know this has to tie in with the established IDW continuity, right?"
    And he replied:
    "Really? Damn, now I need to switch some things around."

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Now keep in mind how many months in advance comics are written. Issue 6 is about the point when feedback for issue 1 would have first shown an impact, so...

13. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what I meant. You can see a rather heavy shift around that time, whereas the previous issues didn't give a rattrap's ass about previous IDW series.

14. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone actually expects Optimus to really die, or stay dead anymore. Heck, the guy resurrects more often than Jesus.

15. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem seems to be that most writers don't seem to know any other way to deal with Optimus Prime than (nearly) killing him, only to have him return to save the day at the last minute.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

^ Perfectly said....

I just finished All Hail Megatron and I think it did clean things up too quickly.

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Yeah, but that still doesn't justify setting up a dire situation and then ll of a sudden going "Hey! He got fixed!" just at the right moment. A more competent writer would have given Ratchet a limited time to fix Prime before bad event X happened, we'd occasionally actually see Ratchet working on Prime instead of just very early on to set up the situation and then just treat it as a given, then bad event X IS about to occur, the Autobots think they're doomed, and then a functional (but not 100% fixed) Optimus Prime showed up, still shaking, but ready to take the fight to the enemy.

What we got was "Optimus Prime may die!" *other stuff happens* "If only Prime were here to save us!" - "I am back!"

18. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Or, even better, Optimus is fixed enough to save the day, but dies (permanently) not from the battle, but because the repairs were a patch job to get him though one final mission. Of course, we all know Hasbro would never let that happen.

19. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, they learned that lesson in 1986. ;) 

20. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think that there would be a less likely chance of people being tick off over a G1 Optimus dying, since it's mainly fans our ages that read them. Little kids, who's parents are the ones whos parents were tick off at Hasbro for killing of Prime in 86, are more familiar with TFA and TFP Optimus. But, like I said, Hasbro will never ever let it happen.