Minor/Repaint: Enough lurking.. Animated Soundwave with G1 head.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Anthony _aggro, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    I just finished an experiment. I put G1 Soundwaves head on an Animated body and did some minor repainting.

I had to drill out the inside of the G1 head with a dremel to adapt it for the ball and socket joint.

I also widened the hole where the head flips into the camper, but forgot to sand the edges.

For the paint, I used both heavy and soft body liquitex acrylics. I sanded the area for better adhesion before painting. It is pretty obvious that he first area I tried to paint was the speakers behind the head.

I also painted the rims, knees and back of the camper where the digital readout is.

I am happy enough with it. It does go to answer the question of what Animated Soundwave would look like with a G1 head, so that would be a purpose served.

The parts came from a broken G1 figure and an animated figure I bought on sale at Walmart that already had some crummy paint aps on it.

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looks real good! Now he looks a bit more menacing, and it blends okay too!:thumbs2: 

Welcome aboard and hope to see more!:D 

3. Anthony _aggro

Ebay:

Thanks, now I have the bug to do some more.

4. big hank

News Credits:

Yeah man, break out some paint. I think the yellow visor compliments the chest and feet details, the G1 Soundwave blue is just a tad off, though. to me that is the only thing distracting me.:thumbs2: 

5. starshooter8

starshooter8 AutoCon

that looks grate.:thumb :thumbs2: 

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, not bad, but the head does NOT work for this mold, imo. It's a good headsculpt, but just doesn't flow well with the rest of the figure.

7. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

Nice work but Why? Animated SW's head is beautiful as is.

8. Anthony _aggro

Ebay:

I've had the G1 Head floating around in a baggy with a trashed body for over a year with intentions of putting it on another figure. Animated Soundwave came out, I thought about it, held off, then found it on sale for $7.99 at walmart and decided, "What the hell." A few days of tinkering off and on later and it's done.

I already have it up on Ebay, just to see if anyone bids on it. I am trying to learn the art of detachment from things I have created, which is a problem I always have with selling my art.

Oh, I bought two Animated Soundwaves. One for me to keep and one to customize.

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

yeah if you like a 3 layer cake with Roz cat eye glasses :tongue:  :poke  anyways nice work man i tried out the g1 head on mine but opted for a head mod instead. i was surprised on how well it worked on this figure myself

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I agree... I just can't quite get around that Animated SW head. I want to like it, but I just don't.

I think this G1 head actually works surprisingly well. It looks a bit more like Soundwave, but still has a bit of a cartoony quality, so it doesn't completely clash with the Animated style of the body.

zmog

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

word up i like that.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That works much better than I could have expected. I think it looks a lot better than the head supplied, and actually makes the fig look like it could stand in a collection of Universe toys, possibly with a little more detailing.

13. big hank

News Credits:
    Hmmm, it could, actually. I guess if you squared the forearms off some it just may pass for an updated Classics!

Anthony Aggro, I forgot to invite you go to the thread at the top of the page and INTRODUCE YOURSELF!!

14. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That looks pretty sweet. It answers the question I've been asking myself lately. "What would the Animated figures look like if their head/faces were done in a more "realistic" style?" Good job!

15. Anthony _aggro

Ebay:
    I took it off of Ebay. I am going to do some more work on it.

Today I drilled he head peg out of a alternators Windcharger to replace another broken one, so I have some alternator parts to play with now.

Anybody have some good tips on getting the wheels off of alternators since they are not screws, but pegged in like G1 cars?