English Lit. Major Looking for Some Guidance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quantum_Penguin, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

So, I've gotten good grades all my life. I'm a talented writer. I've impressed every English professor I've ever had. I've gotten into a good school where I am finishing up my undergrad work... and I'm at that point in my life where I honestly don't know what to do with it all!

So far I'm a junior transfer at UC Santa Cruz. I'll finish a BA in English Language Literature next year and I'm thinking of going on to get credentialed as a high school English teacher or a teacher of English as a foreign language. I'm looking at a few masters programs now, especially Cal Poly Pomona, the University of Limerick, and the Monterey Institute, but I'm just not sure right now where I want to go.

I've also considered going all out for a doctorate, focusing on the early stuff like Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales.

So if there are any Lit. Majors and/or teachers on the board, could you offer a few suggestions for a fellow student? And are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks.

2. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

so wat books have u made yet?

3. Quantum_Penguin

WTF?

4. cybertron2006

u said u were a lit. graduate. i just asked a question. sheesh

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you become a teacher then you'll have to deal with kids like cybertron2006.

The academic life is a pretty good life - possibly somewhat underpaid and overworked though. Although I disagree with the funding of that kind of research, that's the systems problem not yours/mine.

How many years will it take to get teaching creds added on? If you can teach English as a second language you'll be hot property overseas and will be able to travel and get employment easy with minimal visa troubles.

6. Quantum_Penguin

I remember my mother only had to do a year beyond her masters to get credentials, but that was in the early 70's.

I take it you're on the staff at a university and/or an ESL teacher?

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love you.

8. cybertron2006

ahem! i'm a perfect, if not perverted, 14 year-old who is suffering from insomnia. NOT a kid!

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

14 years is a kid, especially if you don't understand enough about college to understand that not all english lit. majors are writers, and no one would expect an undergrad to be published unless they were absolutely brilliant anyway.

If you're thinking about teaching I would seriously urge you to think about getting a masters or ph.d. and finding a university position. Better pay and less responsibility for the kids' performance. My mom is a middle school teacher who is just about sick enough of the brats to want to retire, they seem to be getting dumber and dumber each year.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Yer best bet is too get a MBA. You should start writing and look for publishers. I have a BFA in art/photography, and it doesn't mean much. I currently supervise a drug store.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lol at cyb2006

study some more until you figure it out.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Physics post grad.

If you're able to afford it, can't hurt to do more study. Gain more XP and level up!

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    whose wise idea is it to leave ebk in charge of a drug store?

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Mounting debt due to student loans. If you can afford to get post-grad degrees now, by all means, go for it. If not, you might need to settle on getting the teaching certificate for now and then head back to school in a few years for your M.Ed. If you take that route, try to find school with a graduate course that caters to the adult/professional learner. Usually these feature night and weekend classes, and degrees can be earned in as little as 18 months. Even better is if you can find an employer that will pay for you to go back to school. Try getting a job at a college that offers a graduate program. You may not be putting your BA to work being an office worker, but at least you'd get the benefit of free tuition.

He said drug store, not head shop.

15. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Well it all depends upon what you want to focus on and your area of expertise. You can always be an Assistant Editor, Executive Editor, Managing Editor, Assignment Editor, Copy Editor, Technical Writer or a Copywriter.

And U.C. Santa Cruz? Sweet!!! Fellow Banana Slugger!! Class of 2001. I was going to focus on Lit. myself but I guess I took the wrong classes cause there was a lot of feminist crap there. I couldn't stand it, so I opted for Art. Best time of my life.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:

If you want to start a steady job and then COME BACK to Masters/Doctoral work, my best suggestion is start looking at business development/proposal writing positions with any sort of contracting company. If you have any sort of experience writing technical stuff, you will be set. Some of those companies may tell you that you need at least so-and-so numbers of business courses in order to do this type of job, but really...no you don't.

Now, on the flip side, if you DO decide to take the business courses (and, honestly, you'd probably only need like 2 max, maybe three) see if you can take (or at least audit) courses on Job Order Contracting, proposal/contract writing or technical writing. Honestly, if you're any sort of good english major, this type of job is a PIECE OF CAKE and will pay the bills in that awesome Day Job way that most English majors dream of. I spent like 8 months at a building contracting company doing an internship like this and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I graduated cum laude from Indiana with an English degree and...turned around and went into an electrical engineering degree, but that's because I decided that teaching and writing wasn't something I wanted to spend my life doing. I enjoy it, but I don't think I could do it for a permanent career.

[​IMG]

17. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

There's always lawyer-ing. I beleive a lot of lawyers have english/history degrees....if that floats your boat.

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

Besides that I have nothing to contribute to this thread sorry. Good luck with your degree, I start graduate school in the fall. Took me a while to decide what to do in grad school. Although I picked a path, I still have to narrow it down some more.

19. Quantum_Penguin

:lol 

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll think it over.

And a Slughug to Mr. Roboto. :) 

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am pursuing a degree in English myself- gonna focus on post modern lit when i am in the post grad level.
    one of my closest friends and fellow writing club member is almost finished with her Ph.D.
    She is specializing in Feminist Literature and has studied the whole damn spectrum from The earliest Greek works to current fiction.

we both are aiming for teaching positions at the college level (and that was after quite some time spent with professors and visiting lecturers who mentored us.)
    Personally, i want to teach at that level b/c i want to avoid teaching kids (note: KIDS) like cybertron2006 [​IMG]who know everything, but still can't fill out an application to Burger King without searching it on Google. I want to share what i know with students who know what they want and really are interested in the material.
    Our current writing club faculty sponsor has a doctorate in Medieval Literature. He has said that outside of academia, Not much wiggle room jobwise for the Ye Olde Englishe.

Who the hell says you have to have a book written when you graduate?
    It helps to have papers published, but that is for late post grad levels, sheesh.