"Energy" Cubes (pics)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Scantron, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While there have been custom "Energy Cube" accessories produced for the Transformers line before, these are the first I've been interested in checking out for myself...and I was pleasantly surprised with them! This review is going to be rather picture-heavy, because it's hard to get into a lot of verbal detail about the specifics of plastic cubes.

Manufacturer - energycubes.com
    Price - Average cost works out to ~$1.55 per cube, so they're a little pricey.
    Dimensions - 1.8 cm x 1.8 cm x 1.8 cm
    Colours and Physical Description - Bright pink when viewed under direct light, deeper pink to red when sitting on a darker background. All of the faces are flat, with no molding lines (in some of the pictures below, the cubes appear to have lines in them, but this is from the opposite edge being visible through the cube). Corners are very slightly rounded.
    Comparison to "Official" Cubes - The recent Insecticon reissue boxset released in Takara's TFC line came with a trio of 1 cm x 1 cm x 1 cm Energon cubes which could be considered an "official" version of the accessory. The "Energy Cubes" are (obviously) larger and are constructed of clear plastic, as opposed to the semi-opaque Energon cubes. The Energon cubes are constructed of a slightly soft plastic while the "Energy Cubes" are hard plastic. My Energon cubes also have some tiny bits of sprue and molding imperfections, which are not present on the "Energy Cubes". I actually prefer these customs to the "official" Takara cubes.
    Overall Opinion - I like these Energy Cubes a lot and think they look great. The size is a little more appropriate for dioramas with G1 figures (IMO) than the Takara cubes and they're big enough to work with the current main lines as well. The price is a bit high and that's sure to put some people off, but I think the pack was worth it. Recommended for those who're looking for a neat display accessory for their TFs.

2. Scantron

News Credits:
    Packaging

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cubes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Comparison

Left - Energy Cube
    Right - Takara Energon Cube

[​IMG]

3. Scantron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Note that Soundblaster has two Energy Cubes stored in his chest in the above picture (and the chest still closes).

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    neat..

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cool! They look good, I ought to get a set sometime.

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Hmmm... look good.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Neat!

Interesting write up there Scantron, good stuff. They look quite good, almost looks like real energon cubes as well as they seem to almost glow in those pic's.

8. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I couldnt agree more, Scantron.
    I bought two 8-packs of these a couple weeks ago, myself, and I love em.
    Anyone who wants the perfect props for a diorama, or just a cool accessory to compliment their figs on display should really check these out.