Energy crisis

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rexidus, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So in G1 and continuities like it, a society that can travel across space needs more energy. I can buy that.

What I can't swallow is that they would come to Earth and steal our oil, hydro-electric, and other modern fuel sources. This just seems way too simple. It's like taking a train back 1,000 years to steal a team of horses to pull it.

I mean couldn't they have built solar collectors around a star? What about building nuclear reactors?

It just seems that a society that advanced would have a better and more reliable ways to replenish energy than to steal our primitive resources.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it was more of a "well, we're here. Look at all this energy just lying around. Man, let's help ourselves before we blow this popstand!" thing

Or maybe Cybertron had gotten so used to living on dregs of energy that easily accessable energy was more in tune with what they were used to harnassing, and something like a dyson sphere would simply be beyond the scale they'd want to work with?

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It depends on how the situation is depicted... and as usual, the various G1 fiction have never been especially consistent.

One reason would be that at the point that the Ark comes to Earth, TFs are pretty much on their last legs. They've exhausted all fuel sources on Cybertron, and after thousands of years of war, there is just NO infrastructure left. Every time someone built something it got knocked down again, and now there is just literally nothing left. Cybertron is a dead planet full of junk, stripped bare of anything actually useful.

Then drop a warring faction of Cons and Bots no Earth, and maroon them. Waaayyy back in Marvel Transformers #3, Sparkplug observed that the Decepticons were like "modern men trying to hack it in cave man days"... essentially that they didn't know how to fend for themselves. They couldn't hunt, forage or farm (metaphorically speaking) so in this case, it's just easier to steal.

Obviously it's still a stretch, and some of the more silly science projects and schemes seen in the various TF series certainly seem pretty ridiculous in the context of an energy crisis... but I think the above circumstances would be an interesting aspect to emphasize in a G1-style setting.

zmog

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Those are actually really good points. I could buy such an explanation if they were given. Yeah they aren't perfect and some stuff done does imply a haphazard view of energy.

But huh. That kind of allows me to buy into their fiction a bit better. Thanks.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

*ponders*.. *can't think of a non cliche "it's a kids media" or "suspension of disbelief" canned answer* ....

For anyone to answer this question in whole they would have to answer for every tangent of every story in the whole franchise.

I will give my view on the G1 Cartoon since that's what I know best.
    In the beginning of season 1 they were stranded and needed materials and energy to get off the planet, Season 2 they were doing said getting away and in season 3 they had pretty well branched back off the planet.

The Decepticons are mostly to blame for your problem here as the Autobots mostly would have been more than happy to depart and get back home but, they had to stay behind and stop Megatron and his band of merry idiots because much like any other lazy greedy group of beings they wanted it the easy way.. Like some species we already know really well that currently resides on this planet.. >.> If you look around the human race hard enough your answers are all already here!

Plunder and pillage everything you can get your hands on in a given area and then move to the next, leaving everything behind you dead and useless, parasites, locusts, call it what you will.

I don't do much in the comics realm so you will have to ask other folks for that.

Apparently it took me too long to finish my post:lol 

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just figure the Decepticons (at least in many media depictions) are just really bad at patient long-term thinking. :) 

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011