Energon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hey there. I finally have a day off so I thought I'd spark up a topic if anyone wants to chat about.....

ENERGON

Energon. What was once simply a highly concentrated super-fuel that powered the Transformers like gas powers earth cars has taken a life of it's own, yet never really being truly defined. Perhaps the Transformers and we fans share the lack of true knowledge of what Energon is and can do.

At this point, Energon seems to have evolved from turbo-gas to a nearly supernatural substance that can create life itself, and automatically format machines into Transformers. It has been shown to exist naturally, be condensed/created, be in crystal form, liquid form, in snack form...

Then of course we have the recently introduced "Dark Energon", the anti-spark, the blood of Unicron. That which corrupts life. It can raise undead TFs, and who knows what else...I doubt the writers know.

Energon the series treated it a tangible, manipulative light source like a lightsaber or the G1 hand weapons of the leaders. It had a much more in-hand feel, with the chips etc.

I suppose the Bay movies are what re-addressed the concept and elevated it to the nearly mystical alongside the Allspark Cube. As I'm watching Beast Wars even then it seems like a powerful radioactive energy source and not much else.

So, what are your thoughts on Energon? Do you like the supernatural unknown all powerful life source or simply fuel resources to be fought over?

Personally, I will say that I did always enjoy the G1 'cons attacking Earth fuel stations to get oil/gas to make Energon. I think if it is something they can make, yet is rare, can add to the war idea instead of this unattainable mystical liquid. Of course the Sun Harvesters from the films make it, but I think that's a little much.

Annnnyway, please, you talk now.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the basic G1 concept of Energon as a concentrated fuel (and occasional food or currency, especially among mechanical beings). I see it as basically the closest thing possible to pure energy, while still keeping some sort of tangible, physical form. I don't see Energon taking liquid, solid/crystalline, or even hard weaponry forms as too big a stretch. Crude oil can become different fuels, lubricants, or even plastics depending on how it's refined and processed.

I guess I see the G1-style Energon cube as a 'conversion/processing interface' with the purpose of turning other fuels and energy sources into (presumably liquid) Energon. The cartoon was pretty inconsistent about the mechanics of it, however.

3. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Good one here,
    I think it comes in many forms in my mind anyway, the Energon Series was one of the best way I thought for it to be discribed, as being refined for the perpose.
    But, also I like the simple G1 idea, so it being a superfuel is the best, I think their was a thread on it once some years ago, and as I best remember, it is a form of condenced plazma, like in the sun.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favored way of thinking about Energon is similar to Mr. Fusion in the Back to the Future movies: Doc Brown explained that Mr. Fusion powered the Flux Capacitor and the time circuits and whatever, but the DeLorean's engine ran on ordinary gasoline.

So I like to think that a Transformer with an Earth-normal vehicle mode could fill up his gas tank with regular old gasoline, while Energon would operate his robot-y bits. This way, while he's undercover or in disguise, he could keep his Cybertronian components operating at a bare minimum to conserve Energon, while as a car he can continue to function normally.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I prefer to think of it as an Autobot, for example, who took on petrol/gasoline as fuel would then convert this into Energon. I wouldn't really expect TFs to run on actual Earth-based fossil fuels or anything indigenous to this planet, but in my view they do have an advanced capacity for transforming :) wink:)  a variety of fuels and alternative energy sources into Energon which they can then use to power themselves.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm... But if the Autobots could do this, then presumably the Decepticons could too. In the early cartoon episodes, weren't they seriously concerned about running out of power if they couldn't figure out how to make Energon? Sidebar: did Soundwave invent the Energon Cube, and if so, did he save the lives of every Transformer on Earth?

It depends on how precisely Teletraan-1 converted them to mimic Earth cars. If they were given operational internal-combustion engines, there's no reason why their vehicle modes couldn't run on gasoline. If the engines are just facsimiles, then sure, gas won't do them any good unless they have that internal gas-into-Energon conversion ability. Sidebar #2: do you suppose they need oil? Transmission fluid?

This is certainly true, whether the ability is built into their bodies or not. How many different power sources did we see them utilize in the original series? Hydroelectric power, ruby crystals, antimatter... Starscream even attempted to use Dr. Arkeville's brain energy to make Energon (without success, but still, he thought it was worth a try...)