Energon Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Aug 14, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Just a question, how rare is the figure? I saw some awfully expensives ones on ebay, and this figure...well, it´s a nice recolor and all, but why is so expensive to find one? Mine was pretty cheap.

2. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My understanding of it was b/c it was shortpacked. That and it is a "Ultra magnus" which is quite well reflected in the alt mode. There's also the fact that it can be used to link up with Armada Prime. I personally think its more the name than anything that puts the price of that up. I paid about $50 USD for mine about 6 months ago now.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It was a Target exclusive, right? And I don't think it enjoyed very good distribution--released towards the end of the line or something like that.

They can be pretty expensive, yeah. Got one from a board member a while back for a steal, but I'd been looking for a long time before that.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't think it was technically an exclusive to Target, however I think when it was released they were the only store shelving that price point of Energon.

Doesn't anyone else remember how it wasn't particularly easy to find Scorponok and Tidal Wave upon release?

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not an exclusive and not at the end of the line; he was actually part of the first wave for his class, as I recall. Just shortpacked.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    What ams said. NOT an exclusive, but mass retail; first wave of his assortment, but as far as I recall, he was one of those one-wave-only releases, so he ended up being quite rare.

He was reportedly a shelfwarmer in the United Kingdom, though, and may have also been in other European countries (since you're from Portugal, I assume you picked him up locally?).

Sometimes toys that are hard to find in the USA are warming shelves in other countries, oddly enough.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Huh. Learn something new every day.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I think with UM as well he was also one of those toys everyone passed on originally then those who went back to go get him later realized he was gone which I think also contributed to his commanding price and rarity. I know I remember seeing this toy quite a bit when Energon was first released as each store got like 1-2 of him. To me it seems it was only after he stopped shipping after the first wave that there seemed to be this mad dash to go back and get him.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea he was like in that first wave only, and people swore he was an ebay exclusive toy, soon after lol

10. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Found him at walmart so he was a mass release but like they've said above he was only released in that first wave and gone after that. Wasn't he release with different sets of mini-cons ?

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    hmmm... I recall Energon UM as being very hard to find even when it was first released. It was a better looking version of the Overload mold, and with the Ultra Magnus name and limited initial release, I had a heck of a time tracking one down. I also recall many posters having difficulty finding it one too. I eventually had to have mine shipped from CA (I was living in Western NY at the time) from a poster on another board who scored one from a new Target store's grand opening. It is a fun mold (for a brick) but the head master gimmick and superior color scheme make it the best one of the the Overload releases IMO.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    He was SUPPOSED to come with redecos of the Street Speed Team, named "Clocker", "Brakedown" and "Override".

The back of the packaging depicts the Street Speed Mini-Cons (in their original colors; Ultra Magnus is also depicted in Armada Overload's colors), but the only version of the toy actually available with those redecos were stolen samples of the "China/eBay special" variety. I think Remy has a set of these, as did some guy from the old Cosmic Rust website.

Presumably, Takara didn't allow Hasbro to release those Street Speed redecos because they were too similar to some of Takara's own exclusives, so all the versions of Ultra Magnus actually released at retail came with redecos of the Space Team instead.

Magnus was also available as a "USA Edition" in Japan (exclusive to Toy's Dream Project), in Hasbro packaging but with a black and white sticker depicting the Space Team covering the photos of the Street Speed Team on the back of the packaging.

And then there was the European version of Magnus, which did actually depict the Space Team on the back of the packaging in full color... but again in their original colors.

So to sum it up, we have:

1) Stolen pre-release samples (never officially released anywhere) - Street Speed Team in original colors on packaging, Street Speed Team redecos included

2) Official US release version - Street Speed Team in original colors on packaging, Space Team redecos included

3) Japanese "USA Edition" version - black and white sticker showing Space Team covers photos of Street Speed Team on packaging, Space Team redecos included

4) European release version - Space Team in original colors on packaging, Space Team redecos included

13. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

Ironic. :lol 

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember one of the problems is that he was only in wave wave one. However most stores had (iirc) wave one revision one (or maybe it was wave two), which replaced him with Scorponok (along with Tidal Wave). So that's why some areas of the country NEVER GOT HIM AT ALL.

Chris

15. Nemesis_Prime22

I never remember seeing him anywhere...

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    he was cloggin the shelfs in Sweden, I know when Energon came out..I counted atleast 10 at the same time on the shelfs.

sometimes we get a bunch of hard to find figs in europe. Alt Swerve we found 5-6 in one week in Sweden.

17. Nemesis_Prime22

I never liked the mold anyway, that giant brick, so I would have passed it up even if he was on clearance for a cent...

No scratch that, if only for a cent I would buy him...

18. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Years ago when Energon's toy line came out I did work at Target at that time and I remember only seeing one Ultra Magnus and one Overload (I think that was his name, the orange/red figure that also linked up with Prime) and our store only got one shipment of these figure's case packs with one each of them in it. Unfortunately it was right after christmas when we were transitioning back down to the summer toy set and energon was coming to an end to have the cybertron series start.

19. Nemesis_Prime22

Overload was the name of the original mold, yes, but how did you see them at the same time? Overload was an Armada figure(And lke most Armada figures, were bricks)

20. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I definitely could be mistaken, this was a couple years ago. I just looked up some old pics. I was thinking of Wing Saber. They may have not been in the same wave or case pack, but I definitely remember the rarity of them because they came at a bad time with all that transitioning.