Energon/Superlink Gestalts - Two Years Later

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thefrozenred, Jan 22, 2007.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    The Energon Gestalts came out about this time 2 years ago, and I was wondering how other people consider them. I know that I hold them to be the pinnacle of the Energon/Superlink toyline (not the show, as they were a wasted potential there), and they are still three of the figures that I find most impressive, in all three respective modes.

But what about everyone else? I know they created garnered a surge of good favor when they were first released, but now that they've aged a bit...are they still as good as when you first got them?

I'd venture a "yes." Great molding for all of them in all modes, excellent revival of the G1 gestalt gimmick, and articulation I would not have expected possible. There are surely some flaws (articulation isn't perfect and feet that disconnect in gestalt mode), but I personally overlook this quirks given the greater whole.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I think they're alright. Not the best, but not bad.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

My complaint now, as then, is the use of repaints. I know why they did it, but I don't have to like it. I think that, if they decide to release the Bruticus molds again, that they could/should retool a couple of other molds so that all four limbs are unique. Keep the tank and the copter, but add Swindle (Cyb Hardtop redeco) and maybe Brushguard (Overhaul redeco) or Shortround. Or maybe the Cybertron basic Scattors hot mold could be retooled. (I'm surprised that this mold hasn't been reused yet at all, truth be told.)

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i hated them as they were. i put my own together out of parts i liked. did a bit of detailing, and changed a faction for one bot, and the way i have mine is kick arse. no pics, as he's in storage, but doing a few alternate transformations to the cranes and tanks make them very poseable arms

5. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I still like the contructicons and Bruticus but never bought or liked the ariel bots.

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Superion is the weakest of the bunch, but I like them all.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I like them ok, but I still think with the technology in TF design we have now (just look at Classics) we should have better gestalts than the Energon/Superlink ones.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think they were pretty good, considering what they set out to do. My opinions of them are a little clouded, though, since they came out when I started getting my Braves, who while not as poseable demonstrated some incredible combinations.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like them individually a whole lot, but dissatisfied with the gestalt forms, especially when compared to what they could make these days.

Tempted to hire a little kid to transform all my bots for me.
    Sometimes I forget how to combine them properly. Can always figure it out but I dont have the quickness like I used to

10. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Constructicon Maximus is the best of the 3. He's got the best limb-bots, but the torso is a little lacking in that it's kinda small and the lack of head articulation. The limb-bots are great all-around. Either mold serves equally well as either legs or arms and either way they allow full articulation in combined mode.

Bruticus is in the middle ground. He's got great looking limbs, but the helicoptors absolutely suck as feet (due to the loose ankle joints on the helicoptors and the poorly design energon parts) and are too brick-ish as arms (no combined mode elbows! Argh!). The tanks make awesome arms if transformed creatively, but are a little too wide as legs.

Superion just sucks. None of the bots have decent arm modes (official or fan created) and the A-10s are really only good as legs. The other 2 jets are too wide to seve as legs and are worthless as arms. As much as I fiddled with them to get a good fan arm-mode out of 'em, I couldn't make it look decent. VERY disappointed with them.

I'm glad they're releasing a repaint of Constructicon Maximus in Classics. He was the best one and really the only one worthy of it.

11. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only have Bruticus Maximus. He is cool, but my only problem is that I have to use the helicoptors as legs, and the feet always pop off, and arent very sturdy so he dosent stand. I had part of Constructicon Maximus, and my friend has the whole thing, he is also really cool, I just dont like some of the colors.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never got any of them.

Show some pics

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

They're weak bots, IMO.

Instead of three gestalts, they should have done two and made each limb a different transformer, instead of doubles of two limbs.

The lack of any discernible hands or feet is also a shame.

For what they are, however, at least they tried.

14. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I love em! Bruticus is my favorite of the 3, with Superion being my least favorite, he's good, but not nearly as good as Bruticus and Devestator.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i agree 100%. bruticus is just so much fun. and while i also agree that using the repaint factor was cheap, its still cool that we got a 5 peice combiner. and i love mixing up the pieces as well. using a tank, a helicopter, an a-10 and then one of the cranes (but think of his as a missle truck, like CD red alert) and the main body to bruticus and you got a pretty damn good military based version. i hope if he gets repainted they do that, and go with classic color schemes on them. make the crane=swindle, tank=brawl, copter=vortex, and the jet as blastoff...it'd be amazing...ive been considering buying an extra of each to custom paint, but havent yet....

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

They're okay, but I think the RID and BW combiners are the pinnacle (so far) of combiners.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved 'em. My only two dislikes about them was (1) Constructicon Maximus has a lot of trouble looking to his left, due tothe presence of an enormous shovel on his shoulder and (2) Superion continuousl wants to bow before the other two, due to his waist pegt not being strong enough. For the msot part, though, repaints aside, they're well engineered, and a great take on an old idea.

-Tony!

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    They failed at being decent modern combiners. It would be easy to do a Brave-style integrated combiner with articulation for the individual bots AND the combined form.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still like them. But the chest and crane bots of Devastator still suck.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    QFT. Of the 4 (Railracer, Landfill, Tripredacus & Magnaboss), Tripredacus is my favorite despite the funky arms.