Energon Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SharkyMcShark, Oct 2, 2008.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Fantastic mold. Got the normal version back in the day, and recently acquired Energon Energon Starscream (if that makes any sense).

Nice Alt Mode, good transformation, articulated well, reasonable weapons and hyper mode.

Would like to see it used in the Classics 2.0 line - hell they could just reproduce EE Starscream (if they were feeling nice they could un battle damage it along the way), whack it on a Universe card, and sell it as Classics Starscream and I'm sure it'd fly. In honesty though I'd love to see it reused as Skywarp (Screamer got two toys, don't see why 'Warp should!)

So yeah, what do people think of this mold? I remember it being ALL THE RAGE when it came out, but how do people think it has aged? And would anyone else like to see it in Classics 2.0 (look, they're obviously not going to stop with the whole repaints thing, so at least they should do them properly)?

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Good point, actually. It's a fine mould with a lot of re-use potential. I'm surprised it only got two decoes in the first place, to be honest.

3. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Energon screamer was great and I do prefer that mold as apposed to the classics version. But I don't think that mold would fit in really well with the other classics, so I wouldn't grab a re-packaged universe version. I do like your idea of an Energon Skywarp though.

edit: Crap I just noticed your based in WA too!

4. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

when i got energon starscream, he was great

but now i lost him forever T_T

5. Jazzy Zx

Jazzy Zx Wants too be called Jz :P

News Credits:
    I had him too....the arm plastic on mine was so weak it fell off and cracked

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't think releasing him as Skywarp again would work, though. I vote he gets a yellow, black and green redeco as Fearswoop... :D 

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to own the Energon SS, Energon E SS and the Superlink Nightscream R... all were great figures with excellent paint schemes and awesome weapons. I really enjoyed him, but I just don't have the shelf space I used to so I decided to sell off almost all of A/E/C... so they went. Great figures though.

8. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm using the Energon Energon Starscream (whoever coined the name should be fired) as my Classic Starscream, Cybertron Thundercracker as himself, and ditto for Classic Skywarp.

Couldn't stand having multiple repaints of the same mold, you hear me 07Botcon?

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    When we first saw pictures of Energon Starscream, I was so excited because he was designed after one of my favorite molds, G2 Smokescreen, but with Smokescreen's problem of no wings finally fixed!

Finally opened up E.Starscream in June 2005 and I was very disappointed in the figure. The jet mode is surprisingly chunky from what should be a sleek design and it doesn't seem to peg together securely or properly at all. The arm articulation is also done very poorly by having a squared-off upper arm rotate with a squared-off shoulder pad above it thus the corners severely restricting range of motion and non-right-angle poses. It should've been so simple for them to round-off the edges of one piece or another, but nope.

So from my point of view.... I don't understand how he ever gets any praise.

I think they're partial to hearing the louder voice of money talking through the very quick sellout.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I have Energon Starscream. He was definative Starscream until Classics was released. An awesome mold. Only gripe is why would a jet have a giant sword on his wing?

11. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I have all 4 versions. He's a good toy for sure and quite striking to look at when he's posed well.

Mechanically, the shoulder configuration could be improved greatly....

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i had energon starscream and EE starscream, but i sold the EE version and am gonna rename the regular version (either nightscream or whisper)and added him to my classics...gave him a back story about him being upper class like mirage, and good friends, but picked opposite sides of the battle...

i might buy it again if they did a cool repaint...i bet people would buy a thundercracker from that mold...

13. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He looks great next to Cybertron Soundwave and Energon Shockblast.

They share a design aesthetic, and make for great updated versions of that g1 triumvirate...megatron's bitches

14. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

I have the first release of that Starscream toy (the one that doesn't have Starscream's colors). Since I love that mold but prefer the classics Starscream, I simply pretend he's a new character. Because I have all the Seekers except Dirge (I don't want him unless they resculpt his wings), he pretty much takes Dirge's place with my Seekers.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Oh he fits...he fits alright.

Why wouldn't a jet have a giant sword on it's wing?

Agreed.

I did something similar with mine in that I redubbed him "Wraith", in keeping with his ghostly appearence, teamed him with Movie Voyager screamer and t-cracker and made them a rival air-force in the Decepticon ranks against the Seekers. Sort of like the newer, bigger better competeing with the older, experianced veterans.

All in all, I think he's a great toy, just as good as any of the more modern figures imo. Infact most Energon Decepticons are really great figures. It makes me wonder how the Autobots would have turned out if it weren't for the Super Link bits.

16. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I have both colors for that SS. It's a nice figure.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It´s a pretty good mold and the gun/sword comb pack are awesome two. The large sword thing the two parts do, not so much.

I wish the "scar" he had on the show was also in the toy. It was a nice touch.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

The mold is fantastic. If it's going to be re-released at all, I think Hasbro can make a killing repainting it to look like the Seekers from the IDW comics. You wouldn't even need to change the mold, really.

19. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

Energon Starscream rocks! Best Screamer figure besides Cybertron Voyager Screamer.

20. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had this mold and I still kick myself to this day for not picking it up.

I'm surprised no one has said what he would really work as in the Classics line. He even kinda lived up to it in the Energon series. Have him in Classics line as "Ghost-Scream" or the ghost of Starscream. Just repaint him and keep the battle damage, maybe even make it a little translucent again.