Minor/Repaint: Energon Starscream & Universe Ratchet

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Viper_486, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Here are a couple more of the customs I've done.
    Both of these were done back when I was first getting into the hobby of chopping bots, and had to borrow a digital camera, so please forgive the blurry pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This repaint was done right after Energon Screamer came out.
    I wanted one more to his G1 roots, but in a twist, all the paints used were shiny metal flake ones, making him truly shine.

Now on to Ratchet...
    When I first saw the TFU Ratchet, made out of a SUV, I was elated to actually see him given decent treatment.
    Wel, I though that all the way up to the point I opened the package.
    Although Ratchet now had a head (YAY!) he had this freaking huge left forearm that made him massively topheavy.
    The messed up arm was also longer than its right side counterpart, so much longer in fact, that Ratchet could scratch his ankle servo without bending over.
    What a piece of crap.
    And then as a final insult, his emergency lights and rescue gear are painted on the top of the vehicle.
    I mean come on, if your only gonna paint crap on the roof, just save a few cents on each one and spare us the painfully ugly paintjob.
    So, as step 1 I removed the nasty painted on lights ladder and hose from the roof, scratchbuilt a set of lights for his back,
    and then painted the entire vehicle in nice Ambulance white.
    In step 2, I removed the oversized left forearm, and utilizing the original hand and elbow joint I fabricated a new forearm to scale with his right arm.
    I also wanted to make the arm more functional in my own Universe setting, so I incorporated a viewscreen in the forearm, and thought it would be cool if he had medical sensors in the palm of that hand, allowing him to merely pass his hand over a wounded Transformer, with the readouts being transmitted to his forearm viewscreen.
    This left me with front end of the vehicle just laying around, and I needed to find a use for it.
    Suddenly, I had a brainstorm!
    What is Ratchet oftimes? An Autobot field medic!
    And what would a field medic carry? a medic's satchel.
    So with a generous amount of retooling where his arm once connected to the vehicle's front end, Ratchet's new arm slides inside, and he transforms just as easily as he used to, with no outside sign of the modifications in his alt mode.
    My last modification was to totally resculpt his right hand.
    UNI Ratchet's right hand was some sort of wierd projectile launcher, which do to the sheer stupidity of the design, I had always hated.
    I had done a rather successful resculpt of my custom UNI Ironhide's right hand, but for this project I wanted to go one step further.
    The resculpting of Ironhide's hand had allowed him to hold a blaster, yes, but his hand was turned so that the angle was wrong.
    My solution for this dilema, after drilling the 3/16 hole in his hand and resculpting his fist and forearm was rather simple.
    I completely removed his hand, by sawing it off right at the wrist, then turned it 90* to the left, and reattached it with CA glue. After a bit of puttying and sanding, the seam was virtually invisible, and my new improved Ratchet had a very useful hand, now allowing him to hold a vast majority of the Transformer weapons out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint used on both of these required no topcote, and remains shiny witn almost no chipping and little wear.
    Eventually I will find time to update these galleries, but for now, the full galleries as they are can be found here:

Energon Starscream:
    http://www.flammendschadelstudios.com/E_Starscream_trib.html

Universe Ratchet:
    http://www.flammendschadelstudios.com/Universe_Ratchet.html

2. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Awesome customs! Keep it up!

Ratchet looks wayy too cool!

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Ratchet looks really crisp. Good work.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ah, Ratchet looks great! He's one of my favorite Autobots, and with so few decent toys of him out there it's always nice to see him get a proper treatment. The use of the hood sections as a medic's kit is a great idea!

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    aja! I like the work you did on Starscream.
    Ratchet looks good too. Not my favorite mold but sure looks good.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Ratchet looks more like First Aid with the head....but man thats some ingenius work with the arm...I never had a problem with X-Brawn, but that looks GREAT. Starscream: oooo shiny!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :thumb 

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Can the satchel carry accessories? Just wondering. Anyway, great work.

9. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Actually yes it can.
    The hood assembly/medical satchel had to be majorly modified to accomodate Ratchets new scratchbuilt arm, while at the same time still locking it into the rest of the vehicle as firmly as it originally did pre mod.
    I have some scale tools laying around that I could put in there in bot mode.
    Hmmm, I'm sensing a photo reshoot, lol.

10. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work I really like how you made the new arm and modded the front into a med-kit. The RID mold are some of my favorites. I used a X-Brawn to make a Ironhide as well.

http://www.tfmaster.com/gallery_kb0065.php

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's one of the best Ratchet customs I've seen ever! Nice work!

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good job!:thumb 

13. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Nice clean paint aps, I like. Good job!