Energon Slugslinger

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Caine, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    I'm intrigued by his G1-inspired alt-mode, and his two faces. Any reviews on this guy, please? :D  :D 

2. lastsonofzod

lastsonofzod Kneel before Zod!

Ebay:
    The mold is detailed, and aesthicly pleasing, but floppy and somewhat poorly designed. Not much of G1 Slugslinger in his robot mode design. It was strictly a 'meh' mold for me, in a line that was chock full of them....I swear Bruticus was the only Good thing to come out of Energon...and aparently everyone but me hated him :p 

Slugslinger Does have a very spiffy cannon though.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While the toy isn't designed any better, I think the Club Airazor exclusive makes the mold look prettier.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Personally I saw the Energon/Superlink Decepticons as the highlight of the Unicron Trilogy and is the only time I got all the figures from a line (though only the Decepticon ranks, while I did get Autobots, I didn't get a lot of them).

Anyway, Slugslinger has a neat transformation scheme, and like nearly all his bretheren, isn't hampered by any gimmicks. Unfortunately, his innovative transformation scheme results in a figure that has some stability issues in both forms due to his high number of parts and lack of any big "solid" pieces, he is a bit floppy as a result. He does have a nice big cannon, and he does have a nice different look to him compared to most Transformers.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm definitely echoing the 'floppy' sentiments. Plus the arm articulation is a little wonky...it doesn't hurt posing TOO much but it's still a little weird. I'm not the biggest fan of it's 'Two-Face/ Ninja Turtle grimace' head sculpt, but that's just personal preference.

6. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I've had Slugslinger since he came out, and I've always liked him. I agree that Energon was one of the lines where the Decepticons were, on average, vastly superior to their Autobot counterparts in just about every aspect.

I was lucky in that my Slugslinger doesn't have as many of the issues pegging together as some have, though the shoulders still don't want to stay in place. That's the main hindrance of this character... I was lucky enough to get tight joints, so he holds together pretty well for me.

He looks GREAT in both modes, and he has better articulation that 90% of the Autobots of his line. If you can get him for close to what he went for retail, I'd pick him up.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

absolutely amazing figure. I feel that the individual figs must be hit-or-miss, because while there are LOTS of pieces to move around during transformation, mine locks together nice and tight in both modes. you just have to be REAL finicky and get all of the tabs lined up.

8. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (shameless plug)
    I got one up on da ebay right now if you wanna pick him up for cheap :D 

I've had a couple, and even with the stability issues, he is a cool mold.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Sketchy mold and a floppy mess. I couldn't sell mine fast enough.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slugslinger is awesome. The only issues with floppiness I've had is mid Transformation. He's all good in robot or vehicle mode

11. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dig him personally. He's kind of a weird toy but I guess I like that. With tons of the standard boxy soldier looking Transformers it's nice to have a weirdo or two in there.

Here's a digibash I did of him in G1ish colors, for lulz:

[​IMG]

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The main problem I have with the Slugslinger mold is it (to me) seems complex for no reason other than to be complex (a personal pet peeve of mine) - and all those extra transformation joints make it less stable and more floppy. I'm pretty sure the toy could have been designed with a much simpler and more solid transformation and end up not looking much different in either mode.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like him. Freakish face gives him character, and the jet mode is unconventional enough to be fun. Looks decent in G1 colours, I'd consider buying one if Hasbro brought it out in Universe.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I think he's a great figure; I've had none of the problems with floppiness that seem to have plagued a lot of others. Along with Sharkticon, I'd place him at the top of my list of favourite Energon figures.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but would love to see him and Sharkticon, since I feel they both have the movie aesthetic, as Movie Cyclonus and Scourge.

16. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, that looks really good. His original colors aren't really my fav, and this looks a lot better.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I wrote up a review for him before he came out. I don't know if it's archived here, but might still be on tformers.

Really, really neat toy in design. Great robot mode, good vehicle mode, complex transformation (at least for the time), but unfortunately its not at all stable, and that knocks at least a full letter off the final grade.

EDIT:

Here ya go. Sorry the pics aren't available anymore.

http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=459

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe it's me, but I vastly prefer the original over the Energon version.

19. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Once u figure out the transformation, Slugslinger is a solid toy and a cool homage.