Energon question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Not the guy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Not the guy

Not the guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been eyeing some of those toys on ebay for a while now and I was wondering what you guys have to say about Bulkhead and Optimus with Wingsaber. Are they any good or am I better off skipping them?

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Optimus: Good figure
    Wingsaber: Only get to combine with Optimus. Other than that, he's a brick.
    Bulkhead is actually pretty awesome. Go for him if any of those three.

3. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Quickstrike is the better version of the Bulkhead mold personally

Wing Sabre is an awesome brick for what he is.

4. King0722

King0722 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a soft spot for this series. My favorites are Bulkhead, TRU Megatron, Sharkticon, Rodimus, Starscream, Scorponok, and Landmine. Bulkhead's got an odd way of his arms kinda folding/snapping together to help bulk his chest up. Rodimus is also weirdly proportioned, but I love him and his repaint Checkpoint (comes in a two pack with the terrible terrible Prowl). But the others? Love those guys to death. I'd avoid Optimus. Aside from his gun I really can't stand him at all. I also can't speak on Wing Saber, but he's got a big rep as a brick. Bulkhead is fun and definitely worth it to get out of those three you mentioned, and while I do like Quickstrike, I'm tired of red Transformers.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Optimus is a great toy when you care about play value. Unfortunately, the design doesn't lend itself too well to standing alone and on display. He just doesn't look that great.

That's where Wing Saber comes in. I don't own one, but will shortly. He looks to add to Optimus considerably. Better than his initial add-on limbs.

Basically, you can't own one without the other.

Bulkhead I can't speak for. I've kind of wanted one for some time but haven't yet pulled that trigger because of indicision. He looks good, but he's just another helicopter TF with the same general design: spinny-blade gimmick and half the heli on his back. At least there's the Brute pack (is his called a Brute pack?) to add to the toy.

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

If you're interested in things like Power Ranger Megazords and the like I'd definitely reccomend Optimus. A lot of people hate the fig, but I love it myself. I own both versions of it actually, Energon Optimus and Superlink Grand Convoy. Grand Convoy is my favorite out of the two. The brighter, deeper blue on Convoy, the brighter colored drones, and Convoy's chrome grill really makes the fig look much more better than the Hasbro version. But yeah, I'm sure cost-wise Grand Convoy probably isn't an option. The Hasbro one is still really cool and fun to play around with though.

Wing Saber is a brick, but an awesome one. And I'd definitely try and score one if you get Optimus. His combinations with Op are pretty slick looking. I vastly prefer going with the blue legs and red arms combo though. The only real beef I have with Wing Saber is that he was made with thicker, heavier plastic than Optimus. On his own that's not an issue, but his various pieces in limb form are a bit more heavier than Optimus's drones and can overpower his hip ratchet joints. Shoulders are fine though. Atleast that's the case with both my Optimus and Grand Convoy. Shouldn't be a problem for display purposes though. I only have the Takara Superlink Wing Saber, so I don't know if the Hasbro one was just as heavy or not. I assume it is.

Bulkhead, unless you really have a thing for helicopter Transformers and really want him, I wouldn't reccomend him unless you can get him for cheap. Very weak as far as helicopter TFs go, IMO. And that weapons platform/backpack thing, whatever the hell it was, is pretty hokey looking. There's much better helicoper TFs out there, and none better than Cybertron Evac IMHO.

7. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    just get them.

w/ op i find the biggest issue is finding him with out his chest plates being broken. or his cab missing doors.

wing saber is a brick but a cool looking brick, and his prime combos superb.

bulkhead. a must buy. 1 of the few energon autobots with articulation.

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    damn I think I'm gonna pick up wingsaber too lol. I bought this energon 2 pack with leader optimus and megatron around 2004-2005 when I started to get back into collecting. I really just wanted the megs (but it was the same price as 1 leader figure) and the prime has kinda sat around now for years.

but yeah that looks actually decent with wingsaber attached :lol  I'll have to hunt one down.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Wing Saber would probably display well with a G1 collection.

10. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

fatimus by itself - lame. with limbs, wing saber, omega supreme -awsome.

wing saber - brick robot/unflyable object. only use is pants/gloves for optimus

bulkhead - solid and fun in both modes

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    For all the shit Fatty Prime gets, its actually a pretty fun toy on its own with several display options with the interchangable limbs. Wingsaber is total garbage on its own but it does make for a great powerup mode for Optimus.

Bulkhead is great. I really don't like it's head scuplt, but other than that its awesome. Lots of poseability, a great alt mode and satisfying but not difficult transformation.

12. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been looking at starting collecting Energon figs too. Glad this thread popped up as I had similar questions about Prime.

13. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You might want to add Omega Supreme to your list. Optimus Prime can combine with him as well :)  I don't have Bulkhead, but now I may have to try and get him.

14. Not the guy

Not the guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks everybody for your input. I think i'll tackle Wingsaber first followed by the rest. Hopefully a cheap prime will drop soon eh?