Customs: Energon Optimus Prime into Grand Scourge?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Autobot Burnout, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hey all, I got a question: Would it be worth coverting a somewhat beat-up Energon Prime into a full scale version of the Pla-kit Grand Scourge?

Here's the low down on the situation: I like the deco of Grand Scourge, and I'd gladly buy the kit, size issues and all, if I could just find one! However, on the other hand, my good TF-nut friend has this beat up Energon Optimus that he's willing to sell to me for cheap ($20 more or less, loose but complete). The damage on the figure itself is deep scratches in the right window chest pannel, damage to the faceplate and slight paint missing in the left optic, and the left arm below the sholder somehow is partly crushed (and for some reason only Copter/Prime-2 will fit on it now). Prime drones 1-4 are in great condition, and the trailer is, too. My friend absolutley HATES this figure (don't ask why he owns it, even he doesn't know) simply because it's not realisitc, which is why he's willing to sell it to me complete cheap, even the electronics are perfectly intact. He's actually excited about me making a Nemmy out of this fig, but I have my resevations.

So, the simple question is: Should I drop the $20 and make a full Size Energon Nemesis Prime/Grand Scourge set, or hold out untill I find the Pla-Kit instead?

P.S. If I go through with this, I was planning on using super-putty or something to fix the chest and faceplate, the optics get repainted red, and if all attempts to fix the arm fail I'd fabricate a new one out of styryene.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I'd say definately drop the 20 bucks. You could call the damage on the figure "battle damage".

3. Autobot Burnout

Sideways: Great Idea! That'll look cool AND save some planning time for my project!

Well, I talked it out with my pal a little more, and it's a done deal. He'll give me the figure and twenty bucks, and I'll get him some Reprolabels for his prized Powermaster Prime Re-Issue (he never put stickers on it, it was his first figure and he didn't know that G1's neeed the provided stickers, which Reprolables makes at a cost of $40 per set.) I've also decided to do my Custom Energon Nemmy's limbs somewhat differently than the Pla-Kit's drones:

Fire Truck (Fire-1): Repaint a similar shade of Red-Orange and rename Flame-4 like the Pla-Kit counterpart. Of all the drone limbs, I like this one the best as it is.

Helicopter (Copter-2): Paint a medium to dark Gray and rename Tornado-2, like the Pla-Kit but retaining the number (the drone is Tornado-3 in the kit)

Drill Tank (Digger-3): Maybe brighten the yellow a bit and give it black stripes ala Build Tiger from whatever Brave series he's from. Also rename Crusher-3, like the Pla-Kit but retaining the original number.

Submarine (Submarine-4): Repaint midnight blue and rename "Nautilus-1" as I think it's way cooler than its stock name or the Pla-Kit's "Dive-1" designation.

For all of them: Highlight with silver and blackwashes, maybe tack on a Unicron symbol rubsign from Reprolabels on each of them since my Grand Scourge will be a Herald of Unicron.

What do you guys think? I'm still planning out the main body's scheme, as now the condition of the battery cover is in question. The electronics are 100% fully operational, though, and all the joints are tight.

4. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Sounds like a great idea , Burnout!

For the main body,I'd say maybe repaint it like Scourge from RID ?

either way , this'll be sweet.

5. Autobot Burnout

Hmmm...that would be a neat way to fit in an RID homage into this guy, plus a very similar paint application was used on both Alt. Nemmy and Armada Scourge (Bendy Prime repaint).

In other news, I just found out why NOT getting the Pla-Kit was a blessing in disguise!:
    http://www.tfu.info/2004/Destron/GrandScourge/grandscourge.htm

Drab colors, larger deer-in-headlights optics than 2-pack Classics Prime, and all of that hideous gaudy pale purple-ish color... working with the full size Energon Prime is going to be a dream compared to what I would have to deal with in the kit.

But it just occured to me that there is one aspect of the full-size Prime that I simply cannot work around: the left sholder Spark Crystal with the Autobot symbol in it. I guess I could reason that it's for whenever Unicron sends him into the Shattered Glass universe, where the Autobots are the bad guys, but that's winging it I think.

6. Sideways

Sideways Banned

yeah i heard the pla-kit was shitty..

the Shattered Glass idea sounds cool though.

7. Autobot Burnout