Energon Inferno-Why the hell did they even bring him back?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tyjos, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

I've been wondering this for a while since I recently got the Energon DVD set that came out.

They ruined the man's sacrifice by bringing him back and pretty much making Inferno USELESS the rest of the cartoon. And he's my favorite Energon Autobot....he had a little bit of Dinobot to him in my opinion but not as honrable as dinobot was.

Had to deal with one of those Identity crisis thanks to Megatron making him into a Decepticon for a short time, then he falls into an atmosphere and pretty much BURNS up.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU BRING A BOT BACK TO LIFE AFTER THAT?! THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT!!!!!!!

Maybe that just proves how BADLY written Energon was...

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

The Unicron Singularity. Actually, that kinda made sense....
    But yeah, it's tough to keep characters dead in Energon, especially if your name is Optimus Prime.

Wait, I have a serious answer now. Hasbro came up with a new toy for him (Roadblock) so they pretty much had to put him back in the show.

3. Tyjos

New toy? just an excuse to repaint the old one and call it a new character.....Still though that just sorta steams me that they did that to a GOOD character..ruining him like that.

And as far as I'm concerned anything AFTER the 20th episode of Energon didn't make any sense at all to me....it just went downhill from there.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    As stated: New toy.

In story however, apparently Sparks in the UT are more durable than in other universe. Still lame though...

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Energon series is a little too good at killing dramatic ideas. Inferno was a good example. Starscream, the Dinobot-esque character of Armada was resurrected into a yes-man that would embarrass G1 Cyclonus. My pet example was Demolishor, who started the series as a believably conflicted not-so-bad guy, and all that made him interesting was wiped away handily with his new body, and he became an ape-mannerism-aping standard thug on the edge of comedy relief.

So much waste in that series.

6. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Demolisher was such an enjoyable character up till that point. I wish the dubbers had taken license and just introduced the new Demolisher as a different character to save his death.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well just think about it, if Inferno hadn't been revived then who would have filled out the right side of group shots for the rest of the series? Prowl? Bulkhead? Cliffshift? Downjumper? No way, man, we needed Inferno for that.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
  9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  10. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

NGW beat me to it (although Nevermore gets props for the proper link) - basically anything that happens in any TF series is for the purpose of selling toys. Energon just took this a little bit too far.

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They did the exact same thing with Demolishor. He was having some great character development, and the end of his sub plot was good. Then he's brought back with no memories. Making everything up to that point utterly pointless.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the point being made over most of this thread is that in Energon when a character is changed, or dies and comes back in a new form, the new is near-invariably less interesting and less exciting than what has been replaced. That's something that could potentially run counter to the whole 'selling toys' thing, at least IMO

"Buy this new guy! He's nearly two-thirds as cool as the old guy!" :) 

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Actually, Hasbro's Roadblock character was a different character to Inferno. In Japan, the Grapple-looking retool was just a new body for Inferno. Since the cartoon was written with Japanese audiences in mind, the Energon dub pretty much had to follow Roadblock = Inferno with a new body.

So Roadblock never actually appeared in any Energon fiction.

Roadblock (Energon)#Trivia - Transformers Wiki

I wish we had the ability to wipe all of our articles on the Wikia clean. Readers are associating our work with people on the Wikia who (mostly) had absolutely nothing to do with it, and they get the credit because Wikia usually comes up first in Google searches. Gah.

14. Tyjos

In fact Energon did a lot of "Bringing Old Characters Back and ruining them totally" thing...examples would be:
    Demolisher - He was actually cool....then turned into a sucky character
    Tidal Wave- They totally screwed his character up when they reformatted him
    Cyclonus- Ok what's with the whole Yodeling? That just isn't the crazed Decepticon we all knew to love from Armada...

So if Roadblock was a new character still why Optimus recognized him as Inferno.....ugh....Just proves that Energon really DOES SUCK...funny how you think it's good till you get to the later half of the series and you can't understand a THING.

15. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

To quote MST3K;

"They just didn't care!"

Not to mention the simple fact that the writers were just underpayed grunts and/or kept on rushin' on a story that lasted way too long for its own good.

16. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Roadblock the toy was made as a new character by Hasbro but Takara, the ones commissioning for the show to be made, wanted it to be Inferno's upgrade so the show followed this. The americanised show just followed the original idea.