Energon Homages Beyond Snowcat

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Some_Gamer_Dude, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Some_Gamer_Dude

Some_Gamer_Dude Member

I have recently started GI Joe collection, and with that I wished to expand my knowledge of that franchise as much as possable. I already knew that Snowcat was the GIJoe vehicle also called Snow Cat. Energon, as many know, have homages to most every transformers series, as do it's fellow series in the Unicron Trillogy. I strongly believe that while some of these are "long bows", they are intended homages never picked up on.

The first one that brang this to my attention was the Superion Maximus set.

The leader is quite obviously not a Concord as the original was, instead it is a modification of the Blackbird that has a scout mounted on it, just without the scout. I believe the jet in question is the D-21 Blackbird, but I am not entirely sure. This is a well known jet. The Cobra Night Raven. Specificaly it's repaint minus the scout, the Sky Raven.
    YOJOE.COM | Sky Raven
    Note the shape and colouration are quite similar.

Then we get to the A-10 Thunderbolts in the set. While the engine placement is radicaly different, I strongly believe it is ment to envoke the Cobra Rattler, or it's repaint, the Tiger Rat. I would concur with anyone saying this is a long bow, as would many be here, but seeing the very nature of Energon, it would not be suprising.
    YOJOE.COM | Cobra Rattler [Ground Attack Jet]

Unfortunatly, I cannot say whether or not the final mold may or may not be based on a jet from the GI Joe line, again, it would not suprise me.

I have my suspicions on the Leader and Chopper molds from Bruticus Maximus aswell. The Chopper seems to envoke the Dragonfly.
    YOJOE.COM | Assault Copter Dragonfly [XH-1]
    EDIT:
    Actualy, scratch that, the Desert Apache is a much better fit.
    http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/92/desertapache/

But the Tank stands out. It's the Armadillo, with modifitcations. I believe this is plainly obvious what they were going for.
    YOJOE.COM | Armadillo Mini Tank

The last one I have realy noticed would be Mirage. He is without a shadow of doubt, the Moray Hydrofoil.
    YOJOE.COM | Moray [Hydrofoil]

While yes, it is true, both GI Joe and The Transformers draw inspiration from the same existing vehicles, with the nature of Energon, I think these are more than co-incidence.

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aside from Snowcat I never gave it much thought. But I can see the similarities.

Someone in Radicons did a Cobra Rattler custom from Universe Powerglide. Not Energon, but I bet you'd dig it.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm not convinced they're deliberate homages to GI Joe (Snowcat aside, obviously). Joe vehicles are based on real ones, so it seems just as likely that the TF design team were also working from that basis. It's not like we'd never had an A-10 TF before.

4. Some_Gamer_Dude

Some_Gamer_Dude Member

Yes, I even mentioned this in the last sentence, and am willing to agree about the A-10's, as with the Apache being very commonly used. But not the Combaticon tank, which I have never seen anything similar except the Armadillo. Nor Mirage. That is just way too close to the Moray in everyway.

In all honesty, I am sure there are more cross franchise references than Snowcat. It is just too strange of an homage to be alone.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

ZSU-23-4 Shilka looks to me like the basis for the Armadillo. The Energon tank limb mold looks more like a homage to Sunrunner of the Micromaster Battle Patrol, who transformed into a Roland anti-aircraft missile launcher mounted on a Marder IFV hull (thank you, TFWiki). Dunno on the Moray as I've never really been into boats.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have both the moray and mirage here, the moray is vastly different, other than being a boat, there is no real resemblance, not color, not weapons, not shape, sorry dude, but the others there is a possibility

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Snow cat to one side I think a fair few of these are not connected. Silverbolt maybe but other wise I think its just a coincidence since both the TF's and Joe toys are based of the same vehicles