Minor/Repaint: Energon Galvatron Mods

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Nerdling, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    So I got this figure in the mail and the dude who packaged it wrapped it in two shopping bags and cushioned it with newspaper. I know this is a whole other story but it did tick me off, especially since he charged me $10 shipping and the Postal Service box said $6 on it.

Anyway, I always wanted this figure but held back because of the FUGLY amount of orange plastic on him. I didnt want my Galvatron to look like an ad for Dunkin Donuts. The great thing about this figure is that modifying him and transforming him are so easy. Some of the parts come off without much effort. This is my first mod, so if it's lame or cheesy well then I guess that's why. Anyway, here he is in bot mode and alt mode.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Sorry if my pictures are blurry, I took them with the mounted camera on my mac. I love his alt mode more than the traditional G1 cannon style. He has a sort of B52 Bomber look now. Without that orange crap his wings actually fold out symmetrically.

Before pic

[​IMG]

And after

[​IMG]

His wings in bot mode seem really menacing, giving him that Unicron spawn look. If you notice I also removed the orange cone things from his shoulders. I think I'm going to kitbash the little tank (the parts of it that mount to his arm) with the orange cone so he can blow up autobots G1 style (and maybe Starscream too).

note: I'll add a pic of him in bot mode with the modified turret when I get it done.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cool!

3. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

lol nevermind forgot to read

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    HUGE improvement.

It seems a lot of those ugly colors once covered make me like the Energon/Cybertron line a lot more - too much damn bright colors and neon and bleh.

Good job!

5. Nerdling

Ebay:
    Thanks dude. And I agree about the colors. It's what's been preventing me from picking up Energon Downshift. I want a Wheeljack in my collection, but the Energon version has that weird green color all over his bot mode where grey or black would have been much better. I dont want to spend the insane $50 bucks for the Alt version of a toy who was supposed to be the Autobot nerd, so I might get him and repaint those parts.

6. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the japanese version (superlink wheeljack) has grey plastic in place of the green. hes my classics wheeljack stand in.

love the galvatron, cant wait to see the gun arm.

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No no, Perceptor's the resident nerd, Wheeljack is more akin to a grease-monkey/mad scientist. Anyways, he's easily converted into proper Wheeljack colors: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=149665&highlight=wheeljack

BTW, the black parts there are dyed.

Unfortunately he's tougher/pricier to get :( 

8. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

If this toy was'nt so big, I would have done the same! Great job!I love it!

9. Nerdling

Ebay:
    I think I'm going to do this one next. I havent ever painted a figure, so doing something simple like coating parts of it in black shouldnt be too difficult. I read Jin's tutorial, just need to find the right paints.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I took the whole wings off, not just the orange parts. Makes his robot mode look 'more G1.' It also makes his altmode look like nothing but it's not like I ever use that

11. Nerdling

Ebay:
    I should really take a picture of him in his bot mode with the wings the way they're kept in his alt mode. He actually looks much better.

The metallic blue paint on his back looks bad. I think I'm going to nail polish remove it.

12. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

EEE I dont know i think it was better the way it was........but im not the 1u have to keep happy.:tongue: 

13. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Wow! Makes me wish I'd picked up a second one of these at Value City a year or two ago. I don't want to alter my only one, but these changes make for a nice contrast.

Nice idea. Hmm. I've never kitbashed myself, but given the fact that the tank turret can be pulled out pretty easily just by gently tilting it up and down (at least on mine it can), depending on the width of the rectangular brace on the orange cone, you might be able to just remove the one and insert the other.

14. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

only 6$ to ship that thing? you must have been located really close to him. Thats not bad at all especially if shipping was flat rate man. If i shipped that thing to you, it woulda cost 12-13$ easy via priority mail.

15. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Sweet holy cheese bisuits batman!

16. Nerdling

Ebay:
    The idea of a tank on the arm of a transforming airplane robot is sort of stupid to me. I dont like the way it looks on top of his alt mode, but the cool thing is you dont really notice it's a tank when he has it on in botmode.

I was originally going to remove the black parts under the tank and kitbash them with the orange cone, but I think it might be better for me to cut the extension of the turret and rubber cement the cone on. The great thing about it is that the orange cone/blaster makes the turret longer and still makes the tank look pretty fierce.