energon combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by starman72, Nov 5, 2011.

1. starman72

starman72 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    could use some advice. links/lists appreciated.

i just recently started back in to tf's and missed a lot. i'm liking the energon toys and noticed most of them are fairly cheap. i've picked up tidal wave, snowcat, and 3 omnicons. i'd really like to know which figures combine. not the gestalts, but the shirt/pants combiners.

i was mildly annoyed to find out snowcat doesn't actually combine, but i like the figure anyway. arctic/ snowmobiles are 'cool.'

bad puns aside, i'd just like any advice.

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

The Autobot Deluxes and Megas (Voyagers by today's terms) combine.

Here's a good link to get started: Tow-Line (2004) - Autobot - www.tfu.info

I've got all the deluxe molds except for the Optimus Prime, and all three Voya...er... megas. They're really pretty craptacular by themselves, in general (except Tow-Line there, he's pretty awesome), and the combined modes leave a lot to be desired... but I think - and I don't think I'm in the majority here - that when you get em together, they're a whole lot of fun to mess around with. As far as posability goes - forget it, unless you're looking for a challenge (OK, Prowl is pretty articulated, but he still has a head on a stick!). If you can get an Energon Deluxe in a cool pose, you're awesome. Bonus points if you can get a combined pair in a cool pose. You win the internet if you have Inferno/Roadblock as pants.

EDIT: Oh hey, I can do a list, too.

Deluxe:
    Hot Shot / Energon Hot Shot (recolor)
    Inferno / Roadblock (remolded head, weapon)
    Prowl / SWAT Prowl (recolor)
    Rodimus / Checkpoint (recolor)
    Tow-Line / Botcon Ironhide / Botcon Ratchet (Don't recall the year)
    Downshift / Botcon Slicer (year?)
    Optimus Prime

Mega:
    Ironhide / Energon Ironhide (redeco)
    Jetfire / Overcast (redeco)
    Cliffjumper / Beachcomber (redeco)

Also, Optimus and Rodimus had some sort of fiery redeco... which I know nothing about. Anyways, if there's anything else left off that list, I'm sure someone will fix me up. :) 

3. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just love the Inferno, Roadblock, Prowl and Rodimus toys.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Botcon Ironhide and Ratchet were from 2005. They also used the Hot Shot mold for Nightbeat in 2008 and the Rodimus mold for Thunderclash in 2009.

I'm thinking the SWAT team 2-pack (Prowl and Checkpoint) might be a good start, if you can find it for cheap. It was a K-Mart exclusive. They, unlike everyone else in the line, were given complimentary color schemes so they actually look like they're supposed to be combined, rather than Transformers: Skittles in Disguise.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) If you don't have Skyblast, buy Skyblast. He's an Omnicon, and he is awesome.

2) As said, only the Autobots combine. There's other combination gimmicks in the line, like Prime with Wing Saber or with Omega Supreme. Decepticons had an attempt at an expanding weapon gimmick.

3) Buy more Skyblasts.

4) SKYBLAST!

6. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Decepticons don't combine but you should get Starscream. He's my favorite SC of all time.

7. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Starscream is awesome for a non combiner. It terms of the deluxe autobots my favorite combo is downshift (shirt) with Rodimus (pants). After that Hot Shot and Inferno are pretty good.

8. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    If you're looking for a good Autobot combination, get Inferno and Rodimus.
    Rodimus as the pants and Inferno on top is a great combo because he's well proportioned,
    well articulated, and the color schemes match.

See for yourself:

[​IMG]

I don't have the figures themselves, but looking at reviews on YouTube, it looks like they are a great combo.

9. starman72

starman72 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    since the last post, I've gotten energon inferno, downshift, tow-line, and just got the swat team set.

definitely fun, but the posability.... oy!

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Yeah a lot gets sacrificed for the sake of combination in that line. It's a shame they didn't put a little more effort into the design so we could have an Energon version of G1 Landcross.

11. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never really cared for the mega class figs, but the deluxes are a lot of fun. My favorite combo is downshift (shirt) rodimus (pants). But the optimus prime / wing saber combo is pretty sweet too. I would recommend trying to find the optimus that came in the red box, because he has a face plate, as opposed to the one with the mouth (but that is just my preference). I think starscream is the best decepticon deluxe you can buy. As for the omnicons, my top 3 would be skyblast. arcee, and strongarm. Omega Supreme combines with optimus, but I have never owned Omega, so I can't recommend him.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the BotCon redeco of Tow Line into Ironhide and Ratchet. if they weren't so Pricey, i'd get them for my Classics collection.