Energon Autobot Deluxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I already know this is a dangerous topic, but hear me out.

Yes, I know these guys have a lot potential sacrificed (some may say slaughtered?) for the sake of their combining gimmick, which is, in theory, pretty cool, but in practice, not so cool. I'm aware of this.

Still, I honestly find them to be pretty fun toys, even if they look pretty goofy. Energon Hot Shot's got those horrid shoulders and shares the thigh-high knees that Downshift has. He also shares the "head-on-a-stick" thing with Rodimus, Inferno/Roadblock and Prowl, to an extent. Still, I find the fun to transform and combine in various combinations, posability notwithstanding.

I have five of them - Downshift, Prowl, Rodimus, Roadblock and repaint Hot Shot. That leaves one who won't be combined when I decide to mash them together. Tow-Line is already on my to-get list (had him, sold him, kinda regret it, that was a great toy), but he kinda adds two to the match-up list.

So, let's just pretend you, should you want to respond, actually share my opinion of these guys. Should I look for a SWAT Prowl, or perhaps a Checkpoint? Maybe get an Inferno for the differently molded head and weapon? Maybe an original color Hot Shot? Or how bout that repainted Downshift? Or is there another one I'm totally missing?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
  3. Renidragon

4. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

those were pretty fun toys but they were okay I think I have all of them except powerlinx optimus and repaints of them but yeah they were pretty cool

and I think your missing optimus to I believe he came in a two pack with megatron

edit:man I took long to write this someone beat me to it

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you can, get hold of the Superlink exclusive "Fire Guts" Convoy & Black Rodimus. They're nothing short of beautiful and they look amazing combined.

6. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Get Inferno. He and the Roadblock remold are probably the best of the deluxe class figures in this toyline.

7. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Takara did roll out some pretty cool exclusives during Micron Legend and Superlink. Too bad they're all a pain in the ass to find.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are indeed. WELL worth tracking down, though.

9. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Micron Legend black Scourge Convoy bendy thing (that Black Bendy Prime) has been working its way onto my list of grails for a long time now. It's just the whole "they don't show up that often" that's discouraging me.

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree. Inferno looks great as legs (except for his head hanging on the back in that mode...)

Renidragon, I am not a big fan of Energon/SL figures, but I do like Hot Shot. He's an alright toy on his own :) 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They aren't the most poseable toys or anything, but they are a lot of fun to combine together. A bit like the Multiforce combiner group from Victory, except the Energon combiners have a lot more scope for varying up how the final combination looks. For example, Prowl as legs can have his lightbar section down (like an armoured skirt) or up (for chest armour).

12. Renidragon

Wow, those are some NICE pictures... Sadly, way out of my budget.

Well, how about a thread type question? What are some of your favorite combinations? Go ahead and include voyagers, too. They're fun.

My camera's batteries are dead (mega :( ), but right now I've got Roadblock on top of Rodimus, and it looks fantastic. Too bad Roadblock's head has just about no articulation. I have Downshift on top of Prowl, and this makes for a relatively posable combo, but very small shoulders, skinny legs, large forearms. Posed, though, looks pretty neat. I'll see about pictures soon. :) 

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I actually like to use the voyager sized figs as the legs and use deluxes as the upper bodies. The secret is not to transform the voyager figures' legs so their regular bot legs are used in the combined mode. The combined mode looks more proportionate this way than if you extend the legs.