Energon Arcee; A Rant

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tabtiurf, May 13, 2010.

1. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

So after I liked animted Arcee & BA so much, I decided to collect more fembots, and I finally got around to picking up the energon Arcee mold.

What follows is a rant.

It's not a BAD mold per se, it's just a crying shame that this thing was used to represent almost every fembot ever until just this last year or so.

The first impression it makes is that it's tiny, even by scout standards. This may be due to her humongous (and rather silly) accessory; the cumbersome crossbow thing she can only hold out to the side. It's taller than she is, and almost as heavy. The bow tips are molded to look like bike exhaust pipes, which would be great if they weren't translucent pink. The weapon is probably typical of an energon toy, but when I find a toy too small, the fact she comes with a giant, ugly, useless accessory is not much of a consolation. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The only other gimmick she has is a massive tube protruding from her stomach. I don't know if this is typical for Energon and I don't really care. It's just awful. There's a light-piped autobot logo at the bottom, but given that there's a regular autobot logo just 1 cm away, it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. You can cover up the tube with a star-shaped, translucent accessory, which I guess is supposed to magnify the autobot logo, but just makes her look pregnant.

Looking at photos, you'd be hard-pressed to find her hands, which is good because they're terrible. I thought she had fairly typical scout hands molded into the insides of the bike parts that form her arms, but no. She has tiny little flappy hands on a ball joint that hinge off the middle of her forearm and look like she's wearing mittens. They'd be totally useless for, well, anything. She's also got a problem with her knees, where her high heels and her back kibble force her to stand with her legs slightly bent to avoid falling over.

The face is well-sculpted and well-painted, but she looks like she's 12. Her tiny size and her childish face really make her look like a kid, even when she's not standing next to a larger transformer (IE pretty much anybody.) Her youthful appearance is grossly incongruous with her high heels, pregnant belly full of energon, and the personalities of every character she's ever been. Okay, Flare-Up was supposed to be somewhat inexperienced, but Arcee? Elita-1? Flamewar? Chromia? They're all supposed to be battle-hardened mechanical Valkyries of Doom, not knock-kneed, chubby-cheeked breeder-children with mitten hands who can't even use their weapons!

Anyway. That was my rant. I'll be quiet now. ;) 

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Yes, that was typical of the Energon line. In fact, it was pretty much the primary gimmick of the Energon line as a whole (minus the power-linx aspect of the Autobot cars).

Anyway, we're all entitled to our opinions. But as valid as some of your points are, it really just comes across as as incessant whining about a mold that really isn't all that bad.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think watching Energon would bring to light a lot of problems you have with the figure. Not that they make the problems any better, but just for the understanding of who the Energon Arcee character was.

Do I like the toy? Not really. But knowing the character of Arcee from the Energon series, I find the toy understandable.

4. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That star-shaped translucent accessory is an Energon chip, and that's one of the gimmicks for the Energon line.

It is a tad disappointing that this mold wound up representing a good number of fembots, but fembots have usually been an afterthought for Transformer toys.

5. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

I shaved off the tube on her chest/stomach. Plan to fill the hole too eventually, but even without she looks much better. I was just happy to get a girl shaped Arcee for the first time. I think she looks pretty cool if ya ask me. She'd look even better with rubber tires and better paint app. She's got a lotta potential, but looks great as is for the (original) price range.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, that mold ain't all that great.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's not a great mold, but I thought it was alright by Energon standards.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can say the energon arcee evolved into the 1st movie Arcee. Too bad they screwed up the head. And then she de-evolved into the ROTF arcees.

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    For $5 I can't complain

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's not the greatest but that mold does have some nice redo in Chromia, Flamewar and the others. I was happy to finally get an Arcee figure at the time it came out. I rememberl one sold at Cybercon for $40.00. At least you didn't play that much right. ;) 

11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    To be entirely fair that was the first Arcee mold ever, so I'm willing to write it off as them still honing their skills.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My main beef with that mold is the terribe arm articulation andthe flipper hands. But there are worse molds out there.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hated her Energon weapon the most.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the major themes of the Energon line was interaction between different figures. The big combined Energon weapons that came with Arcee and the other Scouts were also intended to be used as weapons by the larger figures in the line. So, while the accessory serves as more of an over-sized compound bow for Arcee, it makes a good crossbow for a Mega/Voyager or Ultra.

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I am not entirely convinced by this particular toy. I see the only galleries and..its not like i say to myslf "I so gotta own this toy!" but i think it could work after a few touch ups. For 12 dollars i dont have problems in buying her.
    I already got Animated BlackArachnia and i was looking for another fembot in my collection. And Animated Arcee is so hard to find....
    Anyway, back on topic: yes, it has it flaws but nothing that cant be fixed.^^

16. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Man, you kids don't know how good you got it these days *old* :D 

The 'tube' with the autobot symbol buried beneath it is her spark crystal. Way back when, in Energon and late Beast Wars/Beast Machines, figures had an actual physical representation of where their spark was. Energon figures had the circular protrusion surrounding them in place so that energon chips could be attached. In-fiction, they acted as power-ups for bots. On the toys? ...well, that's the only place you can stick 'em and not lose 'em.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Spark crystals remind anyone else of Ecstasy?

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My biggest personal issue with the Energon Arcee mold is it takes some finagling to get her to stand properly. The rest bothers me very little. I was impressed at the time with her being a feminine form transforming into a decent vehicle mode without shell-forming.

19. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i am waiting for 1 to arrive. So i hope this rant is over the top

20. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Oh, it's definitely over the top.

In fact, I probably should have titled it "a deliberately over the top, somewhat-less-than serious rant" so nobody would take offense.

I got her MOSC for $10 at a flea market, and am very glad I didn't pay any more to get her through e-bay (prices are okay, but everyone has to add on $8-10 of shipping gouge.)

And I'm double-super glad I didn't shell to obtain one of her rarer variants! I almost paid $20 to get the blue target version of the mold to be my Chromia! So very glad I did not.