Energon & AOE Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronic, May 23, 2014.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hi All,

The Energon & AOE Grimlock pack is out near me.

I never owned the Energon figure before but wanted to know if it is any good?

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No... no it's not.

3. Sarge133

Sarge133 Grimlock Nut

Ebay:
    Energon/Armada simpflication kicked it in the taint REALLY hard. He's roughly AOE Deluxe sized, super simple, one half of a two bot combiner that really isn't too good. He's...ok-ish. He doesn't have any weapons. What you see is what you get really. He's not too poseable, arms are probably the most poseable thing on him. He's got a G1 transformation, so its nice and easy.

Get it if you can for a good price. I'm not sure I'd pay the $40 even as a Grimlock collector for the pair. Your better off grabbing a AOE Grimlock and hitting ebay for the Energon Grimlock. That is unless you HAVE to have him in G1 deco. Then by all means, pick him up. Just don't expect alot out of him.

Although that deco on the AOE Grimlock is quite nice. I'll probably sit and wait to see if there is a sale on them. If they get down to $20-$30 I'll probably pick up a set.

4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know really. Never owned it either, but I really want it.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    It's pretty terrible. The Dino mode is the best part but it looks like a midget T-Rex. The bot mode is a mess, and to top it off it has a horrible head sculpt. If you absolutely HAVE to have it, go for it but if you want a good toy out of it I'd suggest skipping it.

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of all the Grimlocks ever made, they picked perhaps the worst one of all. I wish they had gone with the Animated Grimlock instead.

I may get this two-pack simply for the AOE Grimlcok. I like the looks of it. But the price does not justify it for me.

7. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Energon Grimlock resembles G1 Grimlock more than Animated Grimlock, so they actually picked the best one.

8. unicronic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think I see a pattern here. I shall pass on this one.

9. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, don't listen to them. Pick it up, decide for yourself, and if you don't like the figure, return it and get something else.

Don't let another person's disdain for the toy be a factor in your decision.

10. unicronic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I had heard that this figure wasn't all that good a long time ago but if there was an overwhelmingly positive response I'd consider it.

I do make my own decisions but with other things on top of my buy list I'll put this down the list.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

they reissued that thing? WHY? :lol 

12. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Energon Grimlock is just not a good toy, and without the Swoop to go with him, is even worse, because you basically have a toy that is also supposed to work as one half of another robot, and his proportions are kinda based on that. I wonder if he still has the Mega-Dinobot head in there.

Wouldn't it have been nuts if they were able to find/repair the original Grimlock mold and released that in the two pack. That would be a real shocker. You would think that because of the movie they would at least think about thinking about figuring out maybe trying to do something.

One last thing about Energon Grimlock, and this is meant as no disparagement to the kind designers at Hasbro, but Hasbro alone designed e E Swoop and Grimlock without Takara's involvement, and Takara is just a bit better at this toy robot thing, as far as mechanical design and all...

13. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

Why not? If everyone dislikes it, I might not want to waste money trying it out.

14. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

And AOE Grimlock resembles no one in particular...

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Is it TRU exclusive in HK too?

16. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Remember that some of the rarer more expensive figures of the past are the ones that no one liked when they were released, but then became sought after and expensive years later when fans developed a taste for them. Look at Bludgeon and Thunderwing. They were not that desirable, but when they were written into the comics and given great characterizations, the figures values skyrocketed. Now they go for a lot of money, whilst no one was big on them upon the initial release. This could be a future collector item if no one buys it and it becomes a short production run because of it.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How does that work?

In the UK if you buy something and open it I don't get to return it 'because I didn't like it.' If the item is broken or defective sure, but not usually simply for preference reasons after opening?

Nah.

18. unicronic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Possibly but other e-tailers have it too.

On a tangent but the Japanese AOE figures are not much different in price to the Hasbro ones in HK.

I did grab Dispensor.

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    He asked if it was any good so he wouldn't waste any money, he wanted opinions and people are giving them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an honest opinion. His purpose in even asking was to avoid the very situation you suggested; returning it if he doesn't like it.

Energon Grimlock was hard to find back in the day but even so, did not get favorable reviews. The primary appeal was that it was a fully articulated G1-esque Grimlock and it was rare in the US due to being released at the end of Energon.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite like the figure. It's not perfect but it is still kinda fun. It was cool to get a vaguely G1-ish new figure of Grimlock. I managed to get the two-pack with Swoop back in the Energon days. Can't remember if it got limited UK release or if I somehow got an imported one. I remember getting it around the same time as the two-pack with the downscaled versions of Energon Optimus and Megatron (which I think might've been available in Argos).
    This would've been a good time to dig out as many Grimlock molds as they could and offer them to people wanting a variety of versions of Grimlock figures. The original G1 mold might not be possible but it would've been cool to see Pretender Grimlock, Actionmaster Grimlock, Classics Grimlock and the various-sized Animated Grimlock figures crop up alongside the Energon version for AoE.