Energon AMV

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Sorry, but that video was pretty subpar.
    Staring off saying the video was crap.

1. Using video with subtitles and/or logos.
    Suggestion Time= a good place to find this material

2. Bad choice of song (overused alternative junk)
    accetable opinion

3. Bad editing.
    Suggestion Time=where and how to improve

4. Using YouTube as the distribution method.
    a major free comercial video host; that i personally have no problem with

:thumb  and a side note on #4 for everyone, if you hit the minimize button on the video player screen @ youtube , the quailty is somewhat better (but smaller screen)

2. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    guys, please no fighting like this in public.. if you have to keep making jabs at one another, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like it to stop... please take it to the PM boxes guys. I'm sure if we all just took a deep breath and step back for a bit, we can iron this out.

I really don't want a mod to come in and lock it down, while there are other people that might want to come in and comment about the video.

3. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    All I did was give my opinion about the video and what I thought was wrong with it. Everyone else started with the flamings.

4. Alpha Prime

well to end it for my side in public, i'm trying to point out to MagiRanger that he/she need not to be so blunt when posting about something someone made out of their own free will for others to view, share in, etc. You don't get mad at someone that sent you an ulgy Christmas card do you?(well, at least, i hope not.:inquisiti  )

5. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    And my final post will be me pointing out that Alpha Prime needs to learn to accept all kinds of criticism even if its blunt.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

To the original poster

I don't know if it's your first try at making AMVs but if it is good job on your first try :thumb 

But like others have said, the music you chose really doesn't fit the video. The music you chose sounds like a rock ballad. For the video itself I'd suggest music with a bit more "oomph" to it. Kind of like Christina Aguilerra's "Fighter" for example. I suggest watching other AMVs on You Tube for inspiration

As for the Cartoon Network logo, that can't be helped since as far as I know. I've never seen a CN show without the label. It might've been better if you d/l Japanese Superlink, that way you get the same scenes w/o the logo as a distraction.

Keep at it the and listen to what Lupis said the man's got the plan. Criticism should build you up and encourage you not tear you down :) 

You really did choose a good visual, it's just the the audio itself really didn't fit the scene. And honestly I can't explain it, but you know what I mean. You can just tell when it doesn't fit if you know what I mean

Again though keep at it and look at other AMVs for inspiration. That way you'll improve

7. Alpha Prime

Thanks man! Means a lot!:) 

8. Code of Honor

Code of Honor TT Decepticon

The Video is a good Start. Some of my first one's were terrible.
    I can't comment on the song because I'm very prejudice, I hate sum41.
    As for the editing you need to work on that, for instance you have scenes were characters are just standing there moving their mouths, that doesn't really work with a song as fast paced as that one. And remember you don't have to use the full scene from beginning to end you can cut and paste anywhere you want, when you keep that in mind your editing will get better.
    About the logos/subtitles there’s not much you can do about it especially when it come to A/E/C shows, it’s either CN (or YTV in Canada) or the Japanese versions, which are all fansub. Logos don’t bother me as long as their out of way, CN isn’t bad, but YTV has animated and fully opaque one’s.
    When working with subtitles DON’T ignore them, use them. I’ve seen many AMV’s where the creator ignored them and it’s very distracting. I’m working on one right now using Galaxy Force and I’m using the subtitles to tell the story. This is where you have to pay attention to editing, and it will add a lot of time to the creation of the video.
    if you enjoy doing this then keep at it. And if you have any questions just pm me I'd be glad to help.

9. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

I see what you were trying to do, condense what must have easily been a fight of 15 minutes or more, and do it with the material you had on hand,but doesn't seem to feel quite finished. with time I imagine you'll polish up. As for the music, well, I'll wait until there are a couple more to see how broad your horizons are in that department

10. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Okay, granted, the song wasn't the best choice.
    However, the footage you chose was great.
    Editing...eh, I'm not sure if the video was supposed to sync with the music, or just play in the foreground.

Either way, it's not a terrible video, it's pretty good for your first try, and one thing you have to remember when others are trying to knock you down a peg...

You actually got your videos online, the people who bitch about 'em and do nothing are just watching them.

11. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Alpha Prime - everyone else pretty much captured what I said (those that spoke constructively). Nice job editing things together, but the song choice wasn't the greatest. It didn't connect to the video... What I would do in these situations is listen to a lot of music, and if you hear a song that sounds like it "should've been in the background for x scene", then you're on a really good start. the more you do that, the better you become at picking music that fits what you're doing. Then you start to notice little things the songs do that would sound really good occurring at certain moments. At that point it will almost feel as if the two media were meant to be together.

I don't want to be a self serving ass and link to my AMVs here, this is your thread. But if you're interested in seeing some examples of what I'm talking about, PM me.

At any rate, keep up the good work!!

and MagiRanger - blunt, harsh advice can be acceptable at times, from the people who care about you most. not some guy on the internet. I felt your original critique was heavy handed and inappropriate. The point of a critique is to point out what could've been made better, and suggestions on how to do that. All you did was basically say "You suck". how does "Bad Editing" alone help anybody? You could've expressed the exact same opinion in a different way, instead of throwing tact out the window.