End of Beast Machines

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I am sure this has been discussed before so I apologize...

BUT

I just finished Beast Machines which I really really liked for the first half, however I found the ending to be utterly lacking. Did anyone else who actually liked the show also hate the ending.

On a side note, was anyone else bugged by the amount of different forms Megatron took during that show!!?

I guess the premise of the show had so much potential, even the first half seemed to be heading places, I just think the writers dropped the ball in the second half of that series

thoughts anyone??

2. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    completely agree, i get so pumped watching the first few episodes, then towards the end of season one i completely loose interest and find it incredibly difficult to stay interested in the show, i liked the last episode however, great ending imo

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I think Tankor got shafted, we got presented with a great villain and then he was killed off, involving him to the end could have turned it up to 11.

Its a shame the cgi cost so much, had they stuck with cell animation they might have gotten more out of it.

Yup, Megs was a bit unbearable with his mode switching.

The fact a world filled with Vehicons couldn't beat the Maximals is rediculous. It would have been better served if Tankor and Megatron went to war planet scale for the last season and the Maximals work their magic between two stressed evil armies. But again, thats just what I would have liked to see.

The ending itself was a epic as it could be. It might even warrent a rewatch soon.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I loved the end fight. One of the best, if not the best, final fights in TF media. HOWEVER, I think the end could've been done better, in a more technical sense.

Maybe it's because most budget was blown on the awesome final fight, but when I picture a techno-organic world, I think sorta like Earth, only with more deeper technological structures and a technorganic core with natural areas akin to massive parks, seas and organic plants. Not a mechanical world with a green/blue texture put of it with a couple of trees and tacky flowers covering everything. (the robots running over the hill were also poorly done, obvious reused run-cycle models in stiff and overly-orderly lines and rows)

Other than that, I thought BM had a great second-half. Like Primal's over-dependance in the Oracle biting back at him. I do wish Tankor was kept around, but it's nice that Rhinox atonned in the matrix. (instead of just offing him and leaving him as evil. Once his Spark was out of that body and pure, he returned to good-ol Rhinox) He's smelling flowers in robo-heaven now.

Nightscream should've never, ever happened, though.

The whole deal with small group of individual free-thinking beings out-doing an army of mindless drones actually isn't that far-fetched, since they never actually defeated the whole army, just the generals (and eventually Megatron)

5. AMG

AMG Old School

To be honest my biggest gripes about the show was that they turned (very capible warrior) Rattrap into R2D2, and made Primal (who was a great leader in BW) a fanatic unable to lead at times. Those two things bothered me more than anything else.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The worst part for me was the Cybertronian weed garden. The only relief from that, was that BM had to be an altenate TF reality, and that we as fans never saw that again (except in TF club stories).

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The three things I didn't like about Beast Machines, all related to character derailment:

Rattrap going from team aft-hole to love-sick rat.
    Optimus Primal transforming into an hippie zealot
    Silverbolt with angst.

To tell the truth, Nightscream didn't bug me too much.

8. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Nightscream did not bug me at all either.

Actually Prime and Megatron bothered me the most. Megatron as this unicron type head of energy was not only not creative but also just bizarre as far as not following everything else that had happened in beast wars or beast machines.

Also, I thought they had the potential to make some connections with G1 when they visited Iacon, but failed to do so. They also completely ignored the 'alien race' that was so powerful in Beast Wars.

I just felt like the series had so much potential, and although I still like the series, I thought it could have been soooo much better!

9. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

You've a point there. As I said I should watch it again.

But Tankor was so badass in his own right, couldn't he have come around to being good again without deprograming, a good spark just burning through when it counted. Plus he looked uber!

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The biggest disappointment with Beast Machines for me was the near total destruction of the characters of Primal, Rattrap, and Megatron. They acted nothing like they did before. I did enjoy the continued evolution of Cheetor. From wise-cracking kid in BWS1 to leader of the Maximals in BMS2. Rhinox... well, Megatron should have learned from the first time he turned Rhinox evil.

11. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    it was like watching a black screen, way to dark to follow or even care!

12. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

IDk the show definitely had it faults but i did like it The show brought up some stuff we had not seen in transformers before. THe show always gets a bad rap but personally i think the unicron trilogy was worse. Part of that i think was the animation though i woulda taken beast machines cg over terrible hardly animated episodes in Armada etc. I think the beast machines toys were lack luster as well which may cause some to think so low of the show.

13. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    This show had so much potential for new characters, they made it back to Cybertron for crying out loud.

14. ShyTenda

ShyTenda Not even here...

Adjust your TV.

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've enjoyed it in it's entirety. It ends the G1 universe with a great ending, except by the Teletubbies part. Those robots running on the hills looked VERY stupid.

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I know you kind of mention Rhinox later in your post there, but really, isn't he the victim of the Beast Machines show?

Rhinox's portrayal and the very idea that he could buy into Megatron's vision are so far from the flower sniffing Rhino in BW that I just don't get it.

I've always hated that Rhinox/Tankor was portrayed in the manner he was. Primal, Rattrap, Megatron, Cheetor...they're progression to their Beast Machines characters was gradual, it was shown on screen as a result of the things that happened to them.

But Rhinox? F' it. He changed his mind. Now he's in favor of Fascism.

wtf mate...wtf.

17. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The only real gripe I have to this day is that Rhinox/Tankor being deluded enough that he really thought he could outthink Megatron. The ending was pretty cheesy (sorry for the pun) but it could have ended worse but it was good enough but TANKOR SMASH got old real quick.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I looked at it, Megatron once again turned Rhinox evil. Once again, it backfired on him. He was reprogrammed. Tampered with. It wasn't until he died and talked to Father Primal did he get to apologize and regret what he had done as Tankor. As far as I'm concerned, it fits right into a plot element from Beast Wars. Even if the writer's hadn't intended it...

19. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    Here is what bugged the hell out of me...

Megatron takes the whole planet...yanks the spark out of everything transformer regardless of faction....

never shown really how this was done except very weak explanation of a transformation virus...

the maximals loose the TM2 bodies and abilities...this was never really explained if megs did it or the oracle...still retarded....

If they had kept the TM2 bodies into the few episodes...hasbro could still have marketed the beast wars toys under the Beast machines banner....big miss up there....

Megatron would have rocked if they had released the recolored version of Optimal optimus that he changed him self into...that thing looked wicked....

botanica...enough said...looked like a munster bush....

the ending where cybertron got reformatted into a organic "earthern" looking ball was just SAD...it is like hasbro wanted a ANTI TRANSFORMER ENDING....ugh....

Tankor should have been in the whole show...he was one of the few bright spots in a sad series....

20. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ill admit i only own this series because of my love for Beast Wars and that sadly BM is a continuation of that story. Of all Transformer series for me at least it is by far the worst.

Optimus was a completely Preachy fanatic with only the goal of technorganic balance on his mind and saving Maximals only.

The fact that Predacons as a faction were written out of the show so as not to confuse young viewers with a third faction was ridiculous. And all it did was make those of us who respected Optimus Primal for his good will towards all hate him for completely ignoring all the Predacons whose sparks were also enslaved by Megatron. He was utterly focused on saving all of the 'maximal' sparks Megatron had stolen.

Personally i thought the only redeeming things about that show were Megatron and the Vehicons. Megatron was the ultimate evil mastermind who enslaved an entire population and took control of the entire planet. He gained utter control. These unprecedented events alone should warrant him the title of 'greatest Megatron ever'. He was cold, ruthless, scheming, ever-changing his plans.

He was the most interesting character in that show because of how dynamic he was compared to everyone else. But even the drone vehicons were more interesteing the garbage that kept spewing out of the MAximals mouth in every episode.

Another thought on Megatron, he wanted the technological to control Cybertron and Optimus was all about his fanatical Organics, and then he changed up after season one with the whole there must be a balance thing. I find it HILARIOUS that the Oracle turned out to be nothing more than a Quintesson creation bent on making Cybertron the Quintessons new world. The fact that Optimus folowed the Oracle without question and forced the technorganic balance of Cybertron must be one of the greatest blunders in Cybertronian histroy. Of course the retcon of the ORacle having Quintesson origins came many years after Beast Machines in the Universe Comics, but this still makes the entire premise of Beast Machines laughable at best.

What cements Primals' blunder even more firmly is the fact the Megatron WAS RIGHT! The technological should have won not a mixture of tech and organic. Optimus was WRONG! I can barley stand to watch that series anymore, listening to his preachy sermons on and on about maximal this and organic that, because in the end we all no it amounted to nothing. NONE of what he did should have happened.

Its because of Optimus Primals' single minded-ness about organics and maximals and his closed minded views towards Megatron and the technological that this series is the worst TF series ever.

The ending was great right up until the stupid prologue where everyones standing there in front of the now technorganic Grand Mal ship laying on the ground. The best part about the ending was that Optimus Primal died and the worst part was that Megatrons views, though fanatical in their own right (i.e. spark consumption), were never given any thought by the maximals, and that Megatron died.

Now dont get me wrong I DO love Optimus Primal, as far as his Beast Wars, pre-Beast Wars, and post Beast Machines selves are concerned. But as for the period that Beast Machines is set in i cant stand to look at so much as listen to his preachy self righteousness.