End of an Era Nintendo Power to cease publication

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grimlock1972, Aug 21, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Nintendo Power magazine being shuttered - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Sad news. I subscribed to to it from the SNES era to the Gamecube era dropping due to lack of funds.

Many a hours spent in my younger days reading it and stuffing my brain with game tips.

Any other former or current subscribers here?

2. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Son of a Former Subscriber, I'm gonna miss this Publication.....

3. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Sad news, indeed. My inner child weeps.

I still remember seeing my first issue, #6 the TMNT cover in a Toys R Us on night. Being seven at the time, I was probably way more enamored by the fact that the Turtles were on the cover, rather than it being a video game magazine. But by the time I got it home, I was hooked. From then on, was a dedicated subscriber until late 1998 or early 1999. The Ocarina of Time cover was the last issue I can reliably recall, but don't think it was my final one.

...It kinda weirded me out a couple years ago when I was making an account on Nintendo's online store to buy some blank DS game cases and it synched up with my previous Nintendo Power subscription info. That was a little mind blowing.

The strategy guides were the absolute best. I completely wore out the spine on the SNES, Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Mario Paint guides. Did anybody else have the Mario Paint Players Guide? Looking back, that thing is absolutely bonkers. In this Nintendo publication, you have straight-up step-by-step guidelines on how to make most of the Street Fighter 2 character sprites.

I wrote into Nintendo Power a couple of times, was always sad that my envelopes never made it into the envelope art write-ups. Not that they had any right to, as they were pretty awful. I'll never forget around 91 or 92, writing a letter that basically said, "Oh man! You guys! Have any of you guys ever played the X-Men arcade game? It is super radical! The only thing that sucks is that you have to go to the arcade to play it, and I don't have many around where I live... hey... you know what would be awesome? If you guys made X-Men the arcade game for the Super Nintendo! Then I could play it at home! ...and since it was my idea, y'know, if you wanted to give me a free copy, that would be sweet. Thanks!"

Genius, right? I mean, I thought I had gold on my hands. To which they very politely replied along the lines of, "Hey duder, thanks for writing in! Right on! X-Men the arcade game is totally wicked! But... y'know, we don't actually make video games here, just play them and make magazines. But hey, maybe try writing in to Konami, they're the folks who actually made the game. You never know!"

It was incredibly biased, but by god... did I ever love that magazine.

4. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Sad, but not wholly unexpected.

I used to have to a sub to it way, way back when I was kid. It was a decent mag. I still have a bunch of the free strategy guides they gave away, like Final Fantasy 1, Ninja Gaiden 2, an SNES collection guide for a lot of the launch titles like Pilotwings. As a matter of fact I got a free copy of Dragon Warrior 1 as a bonus for subbing in the first place. Man, wish I still had my NES and DW. Loved that game. Wish Squenix would do a HD collection of DW 1-4.

5. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Awww...that's a bummer. I used to LOVE that magazine. I still have a big ol' stack of them in the closet.

Back before the ol' internet, that magazine (and the Nintendo hotline) were pure gold!

Like the title says - it truly is the end of an era. It makes me feel really old.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I been buying some now and then reading up on 3ds stuff. I heard a rumor that Nintendo might still use the name as a digital news survices on wii u.

7. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They still publish Nintendo Power? I'll be durned. Duuuuuuuurned!

No, I just haven't seen an issue since 1995.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a little surprised. Nintendo did a pretty good job of pimping the magazine out thanks to its promotional items, I think the best of which being the Zelda collection for the Gamecube. Most of the time it was just a free strategy guide from their library of guides, and that was usually worth almost as much as the sub.

I will miss it though. It holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, a print magazine aimed at a demographic that has nearly universal adoption of the internet is simply not a sustainable business model. I'd love to see Nintendo Power keep going as a website though.

10. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I always wondered what the deal with Future was. Did Nintendo outsource to them or did they go looking for Nintendo? My first issue was the SMB3 player's guide and I renewed it every year up until the move to Future. The way I looked at it, I hadn't really been reading it for a couple of years and saw no point in continuing to subscribe if it wasn't even published by Nintendo anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The internet is not killing magazines. Laziness and pettiness are. Do you remember when Nintendo Power had no ads? Do you remember when all magazines gave out bad ratings to bad games? Do you remember when there was a thriving letter section? Do you remember when they had special features like comic strips or annual awards? I really can't see something like Mario Mania being published today.

For the life of me, I couldn't think of a single reason to keep up with Nintendo Power once Nintendo completely distanced itself from it. The fact is, brand loyalty (ridiculous brand loyalty) was what kept that subscription going long after the other 5-6 magazines I used to buy succumbed to what eventually got Nintendo Power. I don't even get into the big internet pages; I don't like their hipster attitudes or the endless manufactured hype. The kind of gaming magazine I would buy today would have articles like Maz used to do before he got into a regular schedule with TFSource. I would even subscribe to TFCC if that much effort went into their magazine.

In a way, gaming news, for me, has regressed to what it was like collecting toys in 1987. I find out about stuff when I go to the store...but the magic is gone. The consoles boot up like the computer on my desk at work and the games are too realistic or overly concerned with gathering items/achievements. I think I actually hate video games now. Maybe it's better that Nintendo Power was finally put down.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    This is sad..sad news.

12. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It seems like they could just roll it into badass new website that includes the Nintendo Network and Club Nintendo. Make it a shorter, free version of the classic magazine, and readable via the website, Wii U controller, and Tablet devices.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if all my old NES mags are worth anything?

The only Magazine my parents would let me subscribe to, ahh the good ol' days.

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I loved Nintendo Power, especially during the days of the N64. To see this go hurts me right in the childhood. :( 

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    When is the last issue being released?

16. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Nintendo Power was one of those things any kid of the late 80s/early 90s will remember fondly as a part of their childhood. It was one of those unique things you just took in and enjoyed. Everything about the NP of old was great. All the art, the reviews, the guides. It's one of those things that just wormed its way into your brain and is still there like a beloved toyline or cartoon show.

Sadly as it has been said many time before, "The times, they are a'changin'"

I have bought a few issues of NP recently and noticed it was nothing like the old NP and knew it was already dead before this news. Sad really.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I thought it had bit the dust long ago...

18. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Aw man. While I never had a subscription, I still have very fond memories of going through stores with my family, and reading the monthly issues. :( 

19. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Sadness. :(  I got on board with Nintendo Power way back when they offered a free copy of Dragon Warrior for the NES for new subscribers. Stayed on board with them right up until shortly after the launch of the N64, and discontinued my subscription because I just didn't get anything out of the mag anymore. It seemed a shell of what it used to be, so I dropped it.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have the issue with link on the cover for "Zelda 2 Adventures of Link". I'll take it off your hands. I stared at that magazines every day until the game was finally released.