Minor/Repaint: Encore Ratchet/Ironhide heads, plus arm mod...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Okay, so I caved and bought the Encore head mold things to go with some old Ratchet and Ironhide toys I've got. Now, I had been planning to do this whole mod with them years back, where I would move the arms and create a backpack out of the back of the seperating cabin section. Inside of that, I wanted to store the head and have it flip out, then make the whole thing mount on the 'chair/face-sticker' segment in bot mode. Well, I never did get around it, but I did experiment with my Ironhide a long time ago and placed his arms up on top of the screw mounts.

Anyway, these heads came along, and I knew I was going to combine the new parts with my old idea. Everything arrived last night, and I set to work this morning. The Ironhide experiment worked out nicely enough, and I applied it all to Ratchet--whom turned out better as a result.

In the third and fourth pics, you can see I had to do a little cutting of the actual custom piece. The obvious part was modding the back panel to allow for the pin heads that were now in the way. You can see the little corner-cuts around the swing pins on each side. The cool thing here is that the bracket piece acts as a natural clamp, holding the pins down.

The second mod was cutting into the actual toy frame, where I cut out a segment to allow room for the pin head. Leaving the part at the top also acts as a natural clamp--something I didn't do for Ironhide when I cut the same section out of him some years back.

Now, this makes them both official partsformers, as you have to take the arms off and stick them back underneath to transform him. Those that don't care for that sort of thing can either skip this, or come up with some kind of swing-piece for the arms to swing around at the shoulders. But that's beyond me. Oh, and someday, I might configure the backs of the cabins into backpacks that can be removed for both forms. I figure, if they're already partsformers, might as well keep it going, eh?

In any case, I'm very happy with how this all turned out. Granted, they're still kinda wirey, but they look so much better and blend in very well with the other G1 toys. Finally, these two have normal heads, and a decent bot-look to go with them!

Attached Files:

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Nice, makes me want to get them.
    they look really good now.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Look's good to me!! A well thought out plan and great execution! Everything look's great!!:thumbs2: 

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Do the arms still transform like this? Or do you have to take them off and put them in the original position?

5. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Second-last paragraph. Yeah, you do have to take them off and put them back. Kinda knew that's what would have to happen when I first thought up the mod, but it's a good trade-off for making him look normal.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Pun-3X, this is a wonderful mod. It's such a breath of fresh air to see some G1 customs :)  I'd love to have an Encore Ironhide and Ratchet (along with the custom heads!) to play around with this someday. Once again, you've done some ground-breaking work.

You continue to inspire me, man :thumb 

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks! And you're right--there aren't so many G1 mods these days. What, with all the new canvases that come out for us to work on. But I've had this idea stirring in my brain for years, and these custom heads just brought it out of me. It's really simple enough--the hard part was going to be making the head and backpack originally.

But I'm happy with them--Ratchet especially. Ironhide is getting his Classics release, but I just don't like that vehicle for Ratchet. A Towline repaint is a good idea for him...but this just makes the old-skool Ratchet like a fresh new toy again. :) 

8. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

They look great.
    If only they had looked that way back in the day.
    IMO parts forming is never an issue with G1 toys.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    oh man, this IS too cool.

10. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

An awesome update that still looks true to G1 aesthetics! Might have to mess with my junker Ratchet!

11. cyrberrrtron

cyrberrrtron New Member

hi, just wondering how you managed to get the arms off? as i have got the encore versions of the toys, and there are no screws holding the arms on, just rivets, that can't be taken off with a screwdriver? thanks

12. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    yeah, the partsforming its not an issue with g1's, actually im liking this ratchet and ironhide, , but still think that its posible to make the transform without partsforming, but its a lot of extra work to make it work, but its posible believe me
    XP
    anyway, arent the g1 figures too expensive?
    i mean, i saw in many sites and they cost twice or more than a regular deluxe
    and the custom heads?

13. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    This! I also have both encore versions and have been wondering how to get those rivets off. I've been planning on doing a mod where you pivot the arm joint but the more I look at the ones done before me, the more I doubt my own abilities and I just dont wanna mess up those toys since they were both gifts from my wife. This gives me the option of getting the same result without cutting the frame and risk screwing them up which is awesome! I just need to find a way to get those rivets safely removed.

Anyone with any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome mod OP, thanks for posting!
    Later

14. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Wow--forgotten about this one. Okay, here's the big problem--those mods were done on original G1 Ratchet and Ironhides, of which the arms are connected by screws. It was tons easier to do as a result, but both of mine are quite a bit worn. I bought an encore Ratchet and had the WORST time with him (for various reasons). In the end, I had to drill the rivets to get the arms out. I used a dremmel and a metal-cutting bit.

Now, the round disk that the arm hinges on is a bit too wide, so you have to cut the inner black plastic frame to make room--seen on that one side-picture. I would not grind the whole wall down, just cut a groove that's the same width and height as the disk. If you make the cuts I show in the inner black frame PERFECT, you can put those new arms on top and have them sort of click into place. Then, cutting those little squares out of slide-on frame of the Encore head (again, as shown) it should all fit together tightly. I messed up the cuts on my Encore frame and ended up swapping out the inner black frame with my original G1 Ratchet (which lead to MANY headaches, as I found out there have been a lot of changes and remolds on this toy) Eventually got it all to work. But getting it right the first time is a big must.

Yes, and I've seen it done. Someone made one and posted it on this board. You have to chop that entire hinge/socket section (the black plastic) and reattach as a hinge mechanism--then you can simply rotate that new part up at a ninety-degree angle and have the same (actually, better!) effect. Too scared to try it myself, but it looked pretty cool.

I haven't checked pricing lately. The ones I got were years ago and at decent prices for being worn and incomplete. I got the Encore Ratchet on a deal for about $30 after shipping, if I recall. But that was a ways back. And I have no idea what the heads run for.

15. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:

I'm a little lost here. What's the disk you're talking about? Are you referring to the rivet head? Any chance you got any pics?

This is the mod I was wanting to try myself, but like I said, the more I look at it, the more scared I get to try it.

I got a junker G1 Ratchet for the purpose of "practicing" that earlier mod before I got to my nice, new Encores. I paid like $9 shipped from a fellow member here. If you look around the BST treads, you'll find one.
    I got my Encores for $25 each. One at Metrocon in Tampa 2 years ago and the other at Bot-con last year in Orlando. Hit up your local conventions, they're still relatively easy to find.
    The heads go for around $20 - $25 plus shipping if you can find them in the usual online stores.
    Hope that helps!
    Later

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Sure, I'll use one from above:

[​IMG]

The disk is the flat part at the end of the hinge arm that the rivet goes into. It's the bit now sitting upside down in the black socket. You can see where I cut a groove out of the black plastic to get it to fit--the disk part sticks out too much and won't sit flush if you don't cut some room for it. You only want to cut enough to make a groove.

New diagram, added above:
    [​IMG]

But as I said before, if you cut a bit too much, it can be loose and not stay. The combination of the modded Encore head plate (with the corners cut just right) and this groove cut JUST enough to get the disk to fit but still hold it in is the key.

17. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    OK, my mistake, I did understand that part. I was working on them last night and actually did this. What I thought you were referring to was removing the rivet, which I still dont know how to do.

What I ended up doing was swapping the black frame out between my Encore and my G1 junker, then it's just a matter of simply removing the screw like you said. I also filed down the black frame to allow room for the disk (1st pic). Additionally, I clipped off some of the base of the seat, allowing it to tilt back. This way the head doesnt need to be removed for transformation (2nd pic).

So Ratchet is pretty much done, but I'm still stuck with Ironhide. Since I havent been able to figure out how to remove that rivet that holds the arms to the black frame (also 2nd pic), and I dont have a junker Ironhide to swap parts with like I did with Ratchet. I drilled into the head of the rivet some as you can see in the pic, but at the point Im at the rivet still wont come out and I'm afraid of drilling into the red part of the arm itself so I stopped. I may have to look around for a junker Ironhide and just do the same, dont know yet.

Thanks for posting! I prefer this mod to cutting the arm joint off the black frame simply because I'm not sure I'll get it right.

EDIT:
    OK, so now that Ratchet's done, I felt more comfortable experimenting on the original frame without fear of screwing it up and managed to remove the rivets that attach the arms to the frame. Using a 3/32 bit at mid to 3/4 speed, you can drill the rivet, coming in from the top, until it seperates from the arm piece (3rd pic). You have to allow time for cooling while you drill or the black plastic frame will heat and warp, so just drill a little, stop and allow to cool down, then continue drilling, and so on. It took me 5-6 times until I saw the rivet head start spinning freely and I was able to pop the arm right out. In the (3rd) pic you can see my first attempt on the right side where I drilled non-stop and the frame warped and on the left where I took breaks between drilling and the arm popped off clean. Now it's on to Ironhide!
    Hope this helps those who have the Encore versions when doing this awesome mod!
    Later

Attached Files:

18. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    hey you already modified it, why not making the arm joint to make it transform without partsforming?
    i know you can do it

19. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Cool, those are some clean cuts on the black frame. And yeah, I should have been a bit more detailed on drilling--you drill through the rivet from the top until it "releases," and you're set.

Also, cool idea for the seat/head mod. Might have to go back and do that. :)