Encore Grimlock reissue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by yojoe007, Mar 26, 2009.

1. yojoe007

yojoe007 Member

No, I'm not aware of one. Sorry if you thought this was an announcement.

But why isn't there? I mean, no TFC booktype, no encore - sure there's a MP, so they know we like Grimlock - as a kid he was one of my fave characters, along with Megatron and Soundwave who have been reissued a dozen times between them (maybe each if I counted hard).

So what gives? Is there something I don't know about?

Takara/Hasbro - give us a reissue Grimlock!

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Unfortunetly, the molds for Grimlock and the other four Dinobots were five of the molds destroyed years ago. They would have to backwards enginear them before they could reissue them. Which is costly enough that they will probably never do it.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    It's a question that's come up a lot since the first reissue line started.
    There's wide speculation that the molds for the Dinobots are lost, or damaged to the point where they're deemed beyond economic repair... but nothing has ever been confirmed.

4. yojoe007

yojoe007 Member

Doh! Thanks for the replies though.

5. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Its mindless ...

We can build spaceshuttles and submarines ... but recreating a plastic-toy-mold? - That's impossible!? ...
    :banghead: 

6. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    How can a mold be lost anyway?

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh, any number of ways. Misfiled and "lost" but still in existence somewhere. Lost in shipping. Stolen, maybe, but that seems unlikely given these are large slabs of metal. Could be left in a factory that no long exists, may have been scrapped and used for raw materiels for another mold later.

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    a mold can be lost for several reasons

1: damadged beyon repair
    2: lost in a move or other way
    3: worn out and cant be used anymore.

and Thunder-Cracker: It has to do with more then just redoing the mold, IT is for starters an ECONOMIC ASPECT = Calculating sales, mannufacutring cost and so on and so on. Then you have the just relesed MP Grimlock that they dont want to damadge sales on by relesing a reissue.

and if Grimlocks mold was around we would have sen a reissue by now..

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Why would it cost more to reverse-engineer an old toy than develop a brand new one from scratch? Sounds like a poor excuse to me.

10. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

How did they make all those KO Dinobots that were all the rage on Ebay? Didn't they use the molds to make those?

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are you interested in paying reissue prices for KO quality? I'm not.

12. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

I dont have any of the KO figures and did not realize the quality is comprimised.

13. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. Someone obviously was able to reverse engineer the Dinobots and make molds, or somehow obtained the original molds to make lesser quality knock-offs, so there really isn't any reason why HasTak couldn't do the same.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    It probably doesn't.

However, the return on the investment would likely be less. Why create an expensive old mold to sell on old product to the narrow market of collectors when it'd cost nearly the same to create a new product to sell to collectors and kids alike.

Of course it's not impossible to recreate old molds. They did it with the vintage MOTU figures and I believe had to do at least some of it for Soundwave/Soundblaster. So if it hasn't been done in more cases, the only logical conclusion is that while it's possible, it's not economically worthwhile to Takara/Tomy/Hasbro. For Soundwave, maybe it was since I think it only had to be partially restored and it had the bonus of creating 2 desirably collector charaters at once.

15. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I think Palisades Toys made new Micronauts molds for old figures (even asking for donations of original toys from the collecting community to use in reverse-engineering).

16. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

?

Could be the stolen molds?

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it seems a lot of the "lost" molds ended up in the hands of the koers, maybe they bought an old warehouse that had the molds in it

18. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

I have a few of those 80's KO's and they ain't half bad, some almost on equal Quality with the originals, others just needed was better quallity plasitc and paint. I don't have the current KO's though, so couldn't comment on them.

I think they could reverse engineer it if they really wanted, got to be cheaper than building a whole new mold from scratch. who know's, after the MP-08 sells for record numbers at the highest $ for a MP yet, then maybe they will consider remaking the original G1 Dinobots.

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

The bootleg KO figures ARE NOT I repeat ARE NOT made from old/vintage/authentic molds. This is a fact. They are reverse/newly-engineered. People spread rumors but they are wrong.

I won't get into all the details again but for example, take the Reflector bootleg mold, unscrew the figures and open them up, then do the same with a vintage Reflector. The insides/molding of the figures are totally different. This = not the same mold. Other evidences include one of the bootleg 'companies' saying so themselves (that they were producing the molds themselves).

Just want people to be clear on that.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks psp, i don't own any of the kos so i didn't know, and knowing is half the battle