Encore God Fire Convoy, LG64 Seaspray and Rione, LG65 Targetmaster Twin Twist & LG66 Targetmaster

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payres, Oct 2, 2017.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had someone actually arguing with me that it was just Toys R Us jacking up the prices on some of these "premium" re-releases, and not Hasbro. Not only is it Hasbro, it is Takara as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    There might be some unknown factors into the new pricing. Takara has moved its factory production a couple times since then, so there might be mold transport costs. Also, Disney holds the video rights to Robots In Disguise...is it possible that might have an affect on TT licensing the rights to re-release old toys based on their own show, Car Robots? I know we were told most of the molds were destroyed...but maybe there's another reason and certain Hasbro employees just went for the easy answer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Called it (close enough). And people doubted it.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    30,000 yen? Okay, then, I'm pretty sure I've still got my original Omega Prime in one of my storage boxes, somewhere. That'll do for me.

Fortunately, I'm more interested in the Legends releases, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

As far as I know, the Disney deal only includes the RID cartoon, and would have zero affect on the toys even in America. TT wouldn't have to answer to Disney at all.

I do think the Car Brothers molds were in pretty bad shape as they were literally used until they were junk. But a lot of the other molds didn't see near as much use. JRX, God Fire Convoy, and the construction dudes all come to mind, despite the odd exclusive here or there for all of them save the Trains. Those are in DESPERATE need of a re-release. One of the greatest combiners of all time in my mind.

6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    One would think so. But it can also be argued that we're kind of in Brave Series territory, with multiple vendors having their fingers in the pudding. In that case, Sunrise owns the rights to the cartoons. Takara designed the toys. Even though Takara owns the designs, they can't reproduce the characters without licensing. If Disney owns the rights to the cartoon (via Saban), then there's an outside chance that Disney owns the rights to the characters as well. There may be some kind of honorary agreement with Hasbro...they did produce RiD Optimus Prime in direct likeness via Galoob's Titanium run. But Hasbro and Takara are two different companies...and where one agreement is made, the other will not apply. in short, IF there is a licensing issue, then that would justify an increase in cost.

All pure conjecture, of course. It could be as simple as TT pricing it at a level they believe the market can bear.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The cost is likely higher due to the cost of repairing/remaking the mold. When the club wanted to do Defensor from RID Prime, they couldn't because the mold was unusable or lost. That seems to have changed.

8. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

As I said before, these two toys aren't as hollow as the current leader class figures. They have serious heft and weight to them, which means more plastic. I seem to remember them being pretty detailed as well, so a higher parts count factors in there, not to mention electronics. Adjusting the cost for 17 years of inflation, and it's about right. I mean, look at any G1 reissue. Autobot cars were $9-10 USD in 1984, while reissues were priced at $40. In 2000 when Takara released Brave Maximus I think I paid just over $120 at BBTS (plus shipping) and I thought that was an amazing price. How much was the Fort Max encore edition? $300? I seem to remember someone asking Hasbro about reissuing older generations figures, and the reps saying parts count wouldn't line up with current retail pricing, and they'd have to hike the prices up. I'd assume that's why we get sets like the 1986 movie box. Older-ish figures with a little more paint, and an inflated (premium) price. That's just a guess.

I get it. I wish GFC was a little bit cheaper too. $200 is closer to where I'm at, but I guess we'll have to see what AE, HLJ and the others say. Fingers crossed.

I'm just saying I don't think Hasbro or TT are trying to screw anyone.

9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Cost of inflation does really justify the extra $130+ over inflation-adjusted pricing. In the U.S., what was $50 is now $70. This figure, by inflation alone, should only cost $150.

10. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I will guarantee you that Disney does not own the rights to the likeness or molds for anyone in RID. The show was subcontracted out to Saban to make the cartoon, not the other way around. Toys were already being created before the started the show. Disney owns the rights to the show/music that's all. Brave was different, the show was made and Takara was licensed to make the toys. The Transformers in the Brave series were probably licensed to Sunrise, but they don't own the rights to the toy itself. That's why you don't see any recent Brave figures for the TF molds (Shadow Maru, Red Geist)

11. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It's an old toy from 15 years ago, brought back for a limited run. It's more expensive to produce because of that, especially with what looks like some new sound chips and possibly new accessories. It was clear from the get go that this is going to have a premium price point, no need for debate or coming up with some Disney conspiracy theories to explain why this costs so much.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Optimus/Fire Convoy, yeah. Magnus is as hollow as you can possibly get though, since his whole purpose is to disassemble into Omega Prime/GFC parts to attach to Prime/FC. Hell, his own robot mode legs barely qualify as legs. They're just his car carrier trailer standing on it's end.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Legends Fire Convoy would be cooler.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These figures weren't even $50 at US retail. I recall paying $30 when they first came out each. There were Hong Kong releases not THAT long ago that could be imported for about $45 a piece. Yeah yeah, new molds are lighter with less parts and sell for $45, but Takara is saving tons on not needing to actually design these figures, so comparing them to new figures goes both ways in terms of increase/decrease in costs.

The bottom line though is this- they are readily available online for $100 each from resellers right now, so why get this set unless there is something super special about them?

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Indeed. I wanted to be excited for a new Magnus back in the day, but after getting him I knew he was just an accessory for Prime. Also, Omege is a giant parts former. I don't care, but if that was done today everyone would cry fowl.

16. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You're basing on the US dollar and not the Yen inflation amount. The two figures were 4980 Yen when released and going by Yen inflation the original prices should be just over 5030 Yen. Also the US costs for Prime and Ultra Magnus when originally released here was $29.99 which is only now $44.03. So no Inflation really has nothing to do with the cost of this set.
    Inflation calculation between 2 dates for major countries and charts

17. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I mentioned the yen inflation amount in a prior post in this very thread.

What I DIDN'T calculate was the fact that inflation is different depending on the country. Since 2000, China's inflation is over 48%. So, parts and pieces that are probably supplied by China would have risen about 50%. So, 4980 Yen starts looking like 7400-ish. That still plops the set down around 14,900y.
    Inflation calculation between 2 dates for major countries and charts

Inflation is contributing...but it's not the sole contributor to a price of 30,000y.

18. Cykill 1

Cykill 1 Well-Known Member

It was a good RID mold.  Not gonna pay that much for a repaint though.  I\'ll stick with the original.

19. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Again, these guys are made up of more plastic than current leader class figures. More plastic equals more money. I know it's not a popular thing to hear, but it's another reason for the increase. It's not just inflation.

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    These were $30 toys when they came out. Inflation and all that yadda yadda doesn't add up, but it doesn't have to. Takara isn't pricing it this way because it needs to be that price to turn a profit, they are pricing it this much because they think they can and sell enough to get a profit. That's really all any of us need to know.

• Like Like x 2