ENCORE G1 Optimus Prime/Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by viper2391, Aug 28, 2007.

1. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Encore G1 Optimus Prime/Convoy

This is not a review but more of an appreciation of a very, how can I say, beautiful toy? very nice toy? very awesome toy? can't find words to describe this because after 20 years and many reissues this figure still manages to stay on top of every Transformer fans list and probably one of the greatest toy ever made.

I don't know what compelled me to open up my Encore Convoy. Maybe I had nothing to do after work here in Japan but nevertheless, I really like and admire this figure. This is like my childhood dream's fullfilment!

Check out Encore G1 Optimus Prime/Convoy

Here you see Convoy standing infront of his packaging without the decals applied. I must admit G1 packaging is the best. It must be those gridlines. Convoy may look like "Hello Kitty" to some but I can leave with that and he's not that bad looking.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Convoy with his trailer open -- command base. One thing that annoys me is the hose. I can't figure out where to put the other end. Roller is now colored gray.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Convoy with trailer in repair mode.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

More photos:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Convoy cab. Still looks good to me. Its a Peterbuilt cab if I'm not mistaken. The silver lining is a nice touch.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Convoy cab with trailer
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Convoy cab/trailer in some sort of battle mode. Plus, Convoy gets to be repaired.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Encore G1 Optimus Prime/Convoy is really a good opportunity for fans to have a G1 Prime that does not broke or cost an arm or a leg unlike other reissues of G1 Prime/Convoy and the best thing is G1 Style box and long smokestacks.

Thanks and I hope you like what you see.

convoy totemo kirei desu.

2. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Hot. Might buy it to keep in the box. Love the pictures.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

OP is not Peterbilt. He's Freightliner COE.

4. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

Crud, this makes me hate myself for not preordering from hlj when the price was still cheap... :( 

(I ordered a soundwave, but now that I have the cash for a prime he's sold out everywhere or overpriced)

5. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, is Roller Molded in Silver/Grey plastic or just a painted blue version like the original reissue.

6. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Just got my shipping confirmation. It is in transit from Japan.

Can't wait, as this will be my first G1 Prime since 1984-85.

7. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can't wait to get mine!

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

He's molded in blue, and painted silver. Paint seems to be pretty good quality, too.

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the hose plugs into one of the blue things on the side. Wow I didn't know the gun could plug into the side of the trailer! 15 years ago all I did was shove it into the trailer and let it rattle loosely! I may pick up this one.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Does the launcher shoot Roller far or is it neutered like the US version?

11. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Mine shoots him very far. It's pretty powerful compared to the original.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Am I the only one who finds the gun storage spot in the trailer to be functionally useless? If either the gun or the thing with the hose is plugged into it, it hits the side of the maintenece/gunpod thing when you fold up the trailer, and keeps the trailer from clipping together evenly. I end up storeing the gun in Roller's peg hole, and chucking the hose thing into my accessory drawer.

13. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Got mine today. I can't tell if its different than the original, because my original is so old now. Its still a great toy and anyone who does not have a G1 Prime should get this.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Takara's QC continues it's freefall towards the earth!

My convoy is mostly okay, but it has problems. that's to be expected with anything from takara in recent years though.

first off, convoy is winking at me. one eye is painted all the way, the other is not. it looks half open. so either winking, or drunk. dunno. I'm getting his paint matched at a hobby shop and correcting his eye very soon.

second, the chrome on the tanks on his legs is chipped at the top, there are chips in the paint on his feet. fresh out of the goddamn box.

third, it's a good thing that I inspected him before putting stickers on, or a piece of plastic left over from the molding process would have scraped his arm sticker up. had to trim that.

fourth, there are big gouges on the bottoms of each of his lower arms where the pieces were taken off the sprue. not holes( (thankfully), but ugly all the same.

I'm really dissapointed in takara. getting my first "intended to open" G1 prime figure in over 20 years, I was expecting a really great experience every step of the way, from opening the box to putting the stickers on. it turned into one annoyance after another.

really wish I would have been able to find the hasbro reissue.

15. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I received mine yesterday! Man... the box! It's not every day you get to open a G1 Prime. I've done it twice in my life. Three times if you count Pepsi Prime.

Most of it has been said in the thread already. Mine looks great. No flaws detected. Perfect chrome and body. And the Roller launcher! Holy crap! It's way strong. Impressive.

My Prime is rather loose though. It's like he's been played with for a couple months. Everything fits right, but nothing is very tight. It's quite disappointing. My Pepsi Prime is TIGHT, almost too tight. My Encore Prime isn't to the point of being floppy, but he's shockingly close for being straight out of the box. Bummer...

Still. I have a G1 Prime and I only paid $42, so I'm happy.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

this is nicer then new years convoy. I may have to get it.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got mine in the mail. TFSource really packs them good but they use tape very liberally, which makes me nervous around boxes I want to keep pristine. Anyways, these encores are plastic sex.

18. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i got mine recently, the only QC issue is that the right fist wouldnt stay in the hole, i had to make a minor trim. as far as i can tell its the same exact mould as used in japan reissue ultra magnus (thats the only other convoy type mould i have) what i did notice though is that the shoulder joints (the actual plastic part that fits into the side of the tors is upside down compared to UM so im not sure which is the 'right' way up!! both still function however.

19. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yap the price justifies it plus the long smokestacks of course and the silver roller.
    Congrats!

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I got mine today. (yay!)

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! 100 times cooler than I thought. Very fun to play with and excellent detail. Nice and neat paint apps, everything lines up... actually, let me go back to that first part.

While most of the paint apps are perfect, the eyes have an issue. They're cutoff at the top. This proves to be a plus, as it now gives his face a little character. A determined, almost angry stare, like you just kicked a puppy and he's gonna FYU. Non of the (minor and few) problems of my Pepsi Convoy are present at all, and he actually stays in robot mode. I really like the trailer A LOT, much larger than I thought it was.

Excellent, recommended to anyone who doesn't have him.