Encore Devastator Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Rodimus Major, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Devy arrived today, thought I'd do a quick review, and try to answer questions and concerns I've seen people have. First, here's the box everyone's seen.
    [​IMG]

Mine came with all the parts and guns it's supposed to. It also includes the instructions, sticker sheet, and collector's cards for all 6 Constructicons, and for Devastator himself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The greens and purples are a little darker, but that doesn't bother me much, since slight differences in shades of color in reissues is not uncommon. Plastic quality on mine is good, it does not feel cheap or light, Encore Devy seemed to have the same weight as the original. There is just as much diecast as in the original. Comparison shots, with original on the right. (As you can see, Mixmaster does have a face.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've seen complaints about the placement of Mixmaster's rub sign, but it's accurate to the original. (Original on left this time)
    [​IMG]

All parts fit together great in vehicle and robot modes. The only QC issue I noticed is Bonecrusher's head being very loose during transformation, but once it's in place it fits tightly. The stickers that have been preapplied all seem to have been applied well. I did not see any tampographed paint apps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While transforming into Devastator, I noticed a couple of mold differences. There's a tab on the front of Hook that's absent from the original. It locks the crane in place when it's in shoulder mode, so the crane doesn't rotate randomly. (Camparison shot with original on top)
    [​IMG]
    Also there's a tab added to Bonecruncher's arm so they stay together better in vehicle/arm mode. (None of those pics came out good)

Devastator fits together nicely, no complaints there. His head does have those puckered lips though, but they don't look as bad in person, IMO.
    [​IMG]

Here he is next to the vintage (Vintage on right)
    [​IMG]

Her he is next to the vintage with CrazyDevy upgrades.
    [​IMG]

I tried the CrazyDevy upgrades on the Encore, the forearms fit fine, as does Mixmaster, but Scrapper wouldn't fit on the thigh. I did not try the head.

All in all, I think it's a good purchase. If you want a mint in package Devastator, it's well worth it, and the quality is on par with most other reissues.

2. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Thanks for this! He looks good. Mine is sitting in my POL and I can't wait to get it. Obviously, I've been hearing all the grumblings about the set and it had me questioning whether or not I should cancel my order. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't. No matter, your review has helped ease some of the apprehensions I had surrounding one of my most highly anticipated and sought after releases/pick ups. Devastator was and always will be the SHIT!

Thanks again!

3. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His sculpt looks pretty crisp and clean all over. All of those right angles seem very sharp.

4. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I just opened mine last night and have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Not bad for a G1 reissue that I thought would never legitimately happen by Tak/Tomy or Hasbro.

And the box is SO beautiful.

5. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

I finally opened up my box, and everything was intact, including Mixmaster's head. I must say, for a G1 combiner, the leg connector was the only problem of mines. Scrapper is a bitch to connect! Joints were super tight, Bonecrusher's left foot fell out of place, but put back into place. Haven't applied the rest of the labels; the ones that were already placed weren't crooked at all.

6. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    RM - For your original Hook, what happened to the peg on the back of Hook that plugs into the chest. Did it break off? Does the new one look thicker?

7. Rodimus Major

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, it's still there, the corner of the crane swivel is just covering it up. The new one looks like it's the same thickness.

8. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool review, seems there are some qcs but not across the board! the colours do look remarkably close.

9. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

looks good.

10. Kamex

Kamex Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the review and comparison, was worried that the previously reported QC issues might've been widespread.
    Can't wait to get him and fill that 19 year old hole in my soul XD

11. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Eamus Catuli!

I just got mine as well. No QC problems with mine, though it was a bitch as well for my Scrapper to connect to Long Haul.

Speaking of which, Long haul also has slightly differently molded feet now, that fit together better in truck mode. There are a lot of tiny mold differences here and there when I hold them up side by side with my vintage set. The copyrights have all been changed as well. Takara-Tomy must've done a lot of restoration work on the molds.

I did notice one QC problem....my Hook's hook is backwards! It looks like Rodimus Major's Hook has a backwards hook too. It must be a common error. It looks like the hook pops right out, but I've not tried it yet. Anyone else have a reversed hook?

12. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, man, I think I might have to get this after all.

13. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How close was Scrapper to fitting on the upgrades? Not close at all? From the comparison shots in another thread, I couldn't really see any difference.

14. Lancearl

Lancearl New Member

You didn't try the head?! When you have the time, let us know if the head is good...

15. microclone

News Credits:
    i think the hooks on all are the reverse of the vintage. Im sure the brand new stamp means the toy is all new? Theres little to inicate that its a refurbished mould every part of the toy seems sharply sculpted (in comparison say with bruticus or piranacon)

16. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Thanks for this review, it was very helpful - hopefully have enough money after Christmas to snag one :) 

17. Rodimus Major

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seemed pretty close, the part that slides between Scrapper's leg on the Crazy Devy is too big. It can probably be made to fit with some sanding, but I'm not an expert at modding, so I can offer no guarantees.

Of course, if you don't yet own the upgrades, but are just thinking of buying them for the Encore, CrazyDevy is now selling sets made specifically for the Encore version.

The head requires disassembling the connecting piece on the normal head, and screwing the upgrade onto the bottom. That's why I decided not to mess with it.

18. Oh_Slag

Oh_Slag Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I formed Devastator the Rubsign came off the back of Mixmaster :( 

Trying to figure out the best way, if any, to reattach it without it coming off.

19. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I have them. I have a G1 vintage with the upgrades. I don't mind a lil sanding here n there to make it fit. But with that in mind....it would seem that Crazy Devy is just selling another kit just to make more money off of it when they could just sell you the knee adapter for Scrapper considering you can unscrew the thighs to remove the knee piece to swap out or paint. I know....I've done it.

[​IMG]

Notice the green parts on the Vintage G1 and the all purple thighs on the Black KO Devy. Its really a simple swap too.

Looks like I may have to reconsider and pick one up. I didn't know they made those tabs on Hook and Bonecrusher. Those were nice additions IMO! Glad I waited for the reviews :D 

20. microclone

News Credits:
    got mine today.

I have to say im more than satisfied overall.

No glaring QC issues.

Sculpt is great, the colour whilst not identical to vintage does give the feel of devastator with the rather glowing green. All parts fit snugly in combined mode, only the metal connector for the left shoulder loose in hole so a bit of plastic baggie in there holds it tight. THe only thing id like to be better is the tightness on mixmasters arms so in leg mode the arms remain in a tight outstretced position, they do hold position but tighter would be better (EDIT: I think i had the arms wrong, i had them stretched out backwards, positioned verticle they hold tight)

It might feel a bit lighter than vintage but in no way does it seem cheap, the plastic seems to be durable, some pieces like the pelvic shield made of a different plastic that feels like the softer (but tough) plastic in animated toys.

Overall it looks great, really neat edgy sculpt and awesome bright colours. I really could get another, one for combined and one for small modes.

it still feels like it should be $60 and not $100 but I don't feel cheated like i was anticipating from some earlier reviews. Compared to similar releases like bruticus and piranacon id say this is more successful, of the three reissued combiners id say this one has the edge because it looks sharp!!