Encore devastator or g1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by untitledblinkfa, Jul 15, 2011.

1. untitledblinkfa

untitledblinkfa Well-Known Member

Anyone have an opinion? Seems both can be had for about the same price. Any differences between them other than age?

2. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    If you're not a collector of G1, I would have to say encore...as chances are the encore will be mint condition, whereas the G1 will undoubtedly not be.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    g1 devastator set about same as encore?!? where plz !?

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Check completed auctions on eBay. You can get a loose complete G1 for about $100. In box is a whole notha story.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Either a banged up vintage one, hopefully with all the parts, or a MISB version which will have that new plastic smell...

I may have to think about this one for a while

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I was just taking a closer look at what sells for $100 and yeah too many years and grubby hands on them.

I collect G1 but I have it filled with every reissue out there and some originals. I'm all about the reissues and being the first to crack that sucker out of the box and putting my, and only my, grubby hands on it:p 

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to get the Encore in hand before I can make a recommendation one way or the other.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

100 for a g1 devastator watch out for it being a high quality knock off or a loose on that may be complete but the condition probably will not be good.

9. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

It depends on what kind of collector you are. If you prefer to have vintage items, then of course, the G1. If you prefer to have pristine toys, but aren't a millionaire, then encore. For me, I'm going to get the Encore release. I already have a G1 set, but I'm a sucker for reissues, and I can't wait to open up a mint Devastator. To each his own...

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I want a mint Devy without paying vintage MISB prices....so Encore wins.

11. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

It will boil down to how well the mold hold up for the Encore release. If I remember right the Encore Bruticus was so-so in quality, though Bruticus have been used much more (I don't really believe in mold degradation, but maybe it's a cause). The mold could still turn out semi bad for Devastator, so if you are undecided you could wait for some review and comparison.

As for myself, I got a pretty decent G1 one, so I don't really need the Encore if it's exactly the same (as opposed of say, the Predaking re-release). I dont have all the small guns, but everything for Devastator is there and it's what matter :) 

12. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have an original G1 Devastator, complete with all weapons, nothing broken and pretty tight joints, but I'm still considering getting the Encore. Is there any word on perhaps mold changes or color changes for the Encore compared to the G1 version? Perhaps something like Predaking's yellow to gold swap?

13. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    At least with this first run, I'm not expecting much aside from some added paint features (cartoon accurate red eyes, tampographed sigils, etc). Additional releases MAY change things (cartoon-revamped headsculpt wouldn't surprise me)

There IS a possibility of mold degradation as was seen with Bruticus, but since no one has it yet, we don't know for sure.

Current images are using "prototype" images from G1, which featured some color variations (notably, Mixmaster's drum is grey rather than green). Again, he has yet to have final images releases to clarify that.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They haven't said yet, other than to be explicit that the images are placeholders. I find that encouraging and I expect some tampos at least.