Encore Devastator edition demand thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grimlock1972, Dec 21, 2011.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I had always thought that if a G1 Devy gift set ever got reissued it would be a major hot ticket item that would sell out quickly due to it not seeing a reissue since G2, but evidence shows the opposite.

This surprised as we had all believed the molds had been lost or destroyed and vintage devy sets have enjoyed steady demand and a price to match.

Then I got to thinking that at least part of the low demand for the set is the fact the 2 different classic styled not Devys that are out/coming out. The availability for years of a high quality KO version may have affected demand as well.

my question is do you think if the not devy sets had not been announced/made would the demand for the encore set be considerably higher?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nope. G1 and modern TF markets are still very different things.

I think they over-estimated the demand, much like they did with God Ginrai. Add to that, there's tons of KO Devastators out there, that given the price difference (or the similarly high price of the higher quality KO), a lot of people are probably thinking the KO ones are good enough.

3. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Hercules and the other supposed Super-Not-Devastator set coming out later stole Encore Devastator's thunder. I'd rather have the Encore over Not-Devastators; especially Hercules. For $100 per figure, it seems to have too many QC issues (breaking parts, breaking ratchet joints) for the price.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a lot of people wish that certain big ticket G1 items would get reissued, only if/when certain stuff actually is reissued and people don't think the price is a bargain, they hold off and either wait until there's a sale/clearance or just scrounge up a loose original or KO for cheaper. For all of the people that say they want a Fortress Maximus reissue, let's see how quickly it sells at a $250-300 price tag.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the price of the reissue is close to the original's market price, that's probably why it's not selling as well as planned

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:

I agree for $100 per figure i expect top notch QC. Brr-icy does make a good point though.

Lbsammills51 yours is a good one as well but i think Fort Max would be the exception to the rule. Its Demand is stronger than Devy's and its never been reissued or KOed in its original size. Its also in far shorter supply even if you figure in the grand maximus and brave max sets.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bingo.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree Fort Max is of a bit of an extreme example, but I also thing the same thing would happen with Scorponok, Trypticon and even Black Zarak or other combiners that people clamor for. Metroplex, Omega and Bruticus didn't exactly sell like hot cakes either when they were first released, and the first two at least were the first time they were released in over twenty years (same goes with Sky Lynx, which I think had to be clearanced out across the board amongst online retailers just to get rid of it).

My own personal opinion, but unless Takara can somehow produce reissues more cheaply than they currently do, I don't think many of the larger reissue candidates will sell out right away, in spite of "demand" for them, because of the price tag, especially when people think they can always refer back to the secondary market and snag a cheaper loose original. QC issues that crop up and mold degradation (Bruticus) don't help much either when they occasionally pop up, especially with those price tags.

I'm more curious how well Devastator is or isn't selling in Japan and if collectors there are shying away for the same reasons collectors abroad might or if they're gobbling it up at a greater freqency than what other collectors are via the U.S.-based online retailers.

9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    New tooling. Allegedly

10. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This may be entirely true. However, this is a nice, minty encore, and apparantly they made some minor improvements or changes to the figures.

I pieced together all the original G1 Devastator toys (needed Scrapper, Bonecrusher, and Hook. Hook was the most expensive), and they set me back about $65 in 2009. As individual figures, they're really cool but when combined, Devastator has clearly seen better days because he's kind of droopy.

Yeah, $124 (with shipping) is kind of steep, but not too bad considering this is a brand new run. And if you're like me, getting the CrazyDevy parts will make him look even better. Plus I won't mind modding an Encore but I do not want to do it on an original. So it works out for me in this case. But not everyone will see it this way.

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Honestly, the company is willing to provide fixes for free. Not sure why people want to overlook that. But that's ok. To each their own.

12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the Encore version,the demand will be there as not many is able to afford the vintage version.

13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, it's down to price - £100 + shipping is just too expensive. Same for the new MP prime, which is only £15 shy of a PS Vita.

Given the current economic climate, I simply can't justify throwing that much cash at a toy, no matter how cool or iconic :( 

14. Stepper

News Credits:
    Some collector is willing to go all out no matter how much is the cost but some collectors need the toy to be justified of it's value,to each his own

15. AMG

AMG Old School

This is my thinking as well. You can get the real Devastator in great condition for the price of this reissue. Makes no sense (in my eyes) to buy a remake when the original can be had for the same money.

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yup, my mint g1 Devastator was $130 when I bought him last year. The KOs are also very nice and look almost identical to G1. So this is overpriced for what you get.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So how do we know encore Devastator isn't selling?

This isn't the bbts test is it?

18. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    And how would one identify that they are selling?

Realistically, I don't think there should be any posts on here at all, none of us know any facts, so the whole site is useless since we cannot prove anything that we say.

From now on, could we just assume that the person making the post assumes something, so if you cannot disprove that assumption, then you go along with what is posted or else it turns into useless arguments back and forth about people OPINIONS.

If not these types of posts just turns into trolling.

19. Stepper

News Credits:
    I still feel that Vintage TF still has their own market value,we can't judge the price just because this piece has just been reissue.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

Hopefully this means we might one day get Encore Mirage and Sunstreaker.