Encore Bruticus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by T-Logicon, Mar 14, 2010.

1. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I received my Encore Bruticus last week, and just him opened tonight - late night style. When it was first released I remember people showing the mold degeneration, and commenting on the kinda "thin" feel on the plastic. They were right. Big time. Each figure feels like a dollar store/big lots KO. I have 3 different Ruinations, and this Bruticus just feels much cheaper than those guys. I know and understand about mold degeneration, and I wasnt expecting perfection in a box, but I was surprised at the thin plastic feel from this set. He's gonna be in my glass g1 case anyway, so it's really not a big deal, I'm just sayin. I'm still pleased with this purchase overall, and I still feel very positively about the Encore line as a whole, it just kinda caught me off guard. The box looks great and is very displayable, as well as the cards too.
    Was anyone else surprised at the condition of Encore Bruticus, even after all the initial reviews? I fully knew and expected my original Combaticons to be MUCH superior in overall fit and finish, but to legitamately feel like KOs, I was surprised.

2. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    I have the set as well.
    Personally I thought the quality was better than the reviewers made it out to be.
    Maybe it's because I don't have any other version of this mold and my standards are lower.

The only fiure in the set I felt was kinda flimsy was Swindle whom I quickly replaced by a G1 metal chest version.

And as you said, displayed in a glass cabinet he looks great anyway :) 

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have one and he is great. I never had a complete original one as a kid but I did have the RID and the Universe version of the mold and I must say I find this one better than both.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've wanted it, but am very hesitant thanks to the initial reviews. Encore boxes are really nice, but if I think the content might be disappointing I can't spend lots of money :( 

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  5. T-Logicon

I was very hesitant as well. I came into some disposable income, and realized he was sold out in all the usual places I shop online. After reading that this set is discontinued, I felt the time was right to pick it up once I found it from a reputable seller. I too, knew all about the initial reviews, but felt that maybe it wasnt as bad as described. Plus he was one of 3 figures from 86' that I didnt have yet. I dont count the 3 Ruinations as Bruticus even though its the same figure(s). It does look great combined, and will look even better in his new glass case home. Plus I like value of the box, and cards - both of which are very displayable. I would have felt very slighted if I hadnt known about the QC concerns with this figure before I bought it. But at the end of the day - Its all good:) 

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is very nice of you being so positive about your purchase :)  I am more attached to Car Robot/RiD version of the character myself so I guess I should be content with my Ruination.

7. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

i was disappointed in the quality of the remolds...but did not really get upset as seeing how many times this set has been remade....and i traded an unwanted botcon TF for my entire encore set so i was not really out $$$ money....but i am still glad i got him...

8. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I'm probably getting one at Botcon if the price is right. I'll keep it MISB anyway, and I really want that giftset box on my shelf.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Why are some bad and some good? So far, the Encores I've purchased, Omega Supreme, Skywarp, and Thundercracker, have been flawless replicas of toy's I remembered playing with in the 80's!

10. T-Logicon

I know what you mean. My favorite version is the Arctic Camo. It looks amazing in that color scheme!

11. T-Logicon

Thats a good question. For the Encore line I have:
    Megatron
    Ratchet
    Ironhide
    Jazz
    Omega Supreme
    Sky Lynx
    Skywarp/TCracker
    Metroplex
    Cassettes - 15
    Cassettes - 17
    Bruticus

All of them are fantastic, except Bruticus. Bruticus looks great, he just doesnt feel great. He'll be spending his life in my g1 cabinet, so its all good in that respect. For playing with and battle sequence action w/ my kids, we'll using one of my 3 Ruinations. If Bruticus does come out, I'll just be a little more careful with him than maybe I normally would.

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    No.

I got one, compared him to others and decided that all the reports of the mold degradation were true, but vastly overstated.

13. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i've been wanting to get one for quite sometime now, as its the only encore fig that i'm missing, but the reviews about it are really putting me off. and i do have a complete rid regular ruination as well as a semi-complete desert camo one. i guess i'll get around getting one when i get the extra $$$, just not right now.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a minty complete G1 one and regularly have to fight the urge to get Encore 16 to satisfy my "Must complete Encore!" mentality. I even thought about selling my G1 to fund the purchase of Encore 16, but am glad I didn't.

If I find one cheap enough, I'll pick him up, if not, I go to sleep at night knowing I've got an all-round superior specimen.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I don't have the Encore version. But I'm sure like my G1 version, it would pale in comparison to the majesty of the Korean oversized KO. Onslaught is the size of G1 Ultra Magnus. Hasbro should be ashamed of themselves. All the Combiners should be reissued in this size.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's all about mold wear.

Of any G1 toy, poor Bruticus has seen the most re-use over the years (the original Optimus Prime cab being up there, too). Between multiple runs in G1, G2, Operation Combination, Car Robots, three separate versions during RiD/Armada, and now the Encore, the mold's in rough shape.

The steel molds aren't indestructible. They wear down eventually through re-use. Details soften, and sometimes they have to be repaired, which all lead to discrepancies between various versions over the years.

In fact, the Car Robots Autobot Brothers have been said to be gone for good, because their large amount of re-use essentially rendered the molds unusable. The finer tolerances required of those toys probably necessitated this decision, which Bruticus' chunkier design has probably helped him hang in there a bit longer (barely).

One would think the Seekers to be in similar condition, but there's probably a reason for that.

The Omega Supreme mold, on the other hand, only saw one major use 25 years ago (or probably two, counting whatever company the toy was repurposed from), so it's virtually as good as new.

17. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When he first came out I pre-ordered Bruticus and was super excited, as I never owned any G1 combiner as a kid. After opening him up, transforming each bot, and combining him (accompanied by my grunts a la 'Starscream's Brigade') I was so disappointed. Swindle in particular is loose as hell and in bot mode his legs don't stay extended, so he looks like a Decepticon potato.

Not that it'll stop me from buying from buying anymore Encores (I have all of them except the last cassettes, which I will eventually own). So I know I did my part to keep the Encore line alive. It's all YOUR fault for not buying, and why we won't see Encore Sideswipe/Devastator/Scorponok and whatever y'all wish for in those Encore threads :tongue: 

18. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Original G1 colors and Arctic colors are my favorite!!!

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I want it, but i am broke ugh

20. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

My guess would be that, unlike the others, Bruticus was basically a "make a quick buck" idea, since they had used that mold fairly consistently in previous lines over the years and most likely had it handy. Unfortunately, it seems obvious that they based the Encore off of the cheaper made RID versions, meaning thin plastic and no die-cast.