Encore 19 Cassette Pack 3

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Brakescream, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Just picked these up yesterday, and I can't find a pictoral review anywhere. apologies if there is one and I haven't seen it. Apologies also for the quality of the pics in some cases. There's nothing wrong with my camera, I'm just not a great photographer ;p

A couple shots of the pack itself

[​IMG]
    I switched Rumble and Frenzy around intentionally as on the packaging the red one is named Rumble. For me, Rumble is the blue one. I wanted him next to his name.

And the stuff inside (not pictured are the cassette cases)

[​IMG]

Rumble/Frenzy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll put these 2 together as they're the same mold with the same accessories.

While these two were never my favourite Soundwave minions (I prefer the animal based ones) The transformation of these guys always impressed me. They're very fun to mess around with. I can't find much to complain about. the quality and paint apps are great. The joints are nice and tight without me feeling I might break something, and for their size, they pose decently enough. I always thought Rumble could use clip on piledriver weapons instead of the two jets/guns but I do like the way there's alternate ways to use their accessories. I use it to give Rumble and Frenzy a little more individuality.

Laserbeak
    [​IMG]

Laserbeak on the other hand has always been one of my favourites. I will confess he is the only one in this pack I ever had access to in his original G1 incarnation and had a lot of fun playing with him as a kid. He's the main reason I bought this pack and was always going to be my favourite in it. So bear in mind I'm biased here.

For me, Laserbeak in this pack is better than i remember him (might be because my friend lost the guns on his old LB) I've always liked any transformer that could be transformed in the time it takes to mimic the cound effect and Laserbeak fits that criteria. In bird mode, he looks exactly like his cartoon self. He seems a little heavier than the other cassettes and as a result feels better made somehow. If I had to gripe, I'd say he doesn't have much articulation, but then again he never did and all the parts that need to move (head, wings) can do so. He flew like a jet in the cartoons anyway so he doesn't need to flap his wings.

Overkill
    [​IMG]

Again I'll freely admit bias, and sadly for Overkill it's biased the other way. It's not that I don't like Overkill, it's just that, for me, if this pack had Ravage instead of OK, it would be the perfect cassette collection.

Also, while it's cool having a cassette turn into a T-Rex, it doesn't work as well as the other 3. His head is clearly viable in cassette mode, and he's extremely skinny in T-Rex mode. He's reasonably well articulated (better than Laserbeak, worse than Frenzy/Rumble) as most of his articulation comes from his transformation.

Summary
    A nice solid collection of cassette minions. G1 goodness with higher QC than the original toys (that I remember anyway) As I said before, the inclusion of Ravage would've made it perfect, but then I guess they had to sell more cassette packs.

Whether you own a G1 or reissue Soundwave or not (sadly i don't) If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

2. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nice review. I feel the same way regarding the RIB/FIR crap lol.

3. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Yeah i got this set when it first came out and i dig it. I unfortunately disagree with the TC on the whole "this set would be better with ravage instead of overkill." Ravage and Laserbeak have been reissued sooooo many times that i'm sick of it. When i bought this set, this would have been my 2nd laserbeak but i sold off my older one before this one came in the mail.

4. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I love this set, one of my favourite reissues of the lot. I've had an '84 Frenzy for a while, but to get both minty fresh is a dream.

Overkill was a nice surprise - I can't say I'm overly fussed about him, but it's better than getting Buzzaw in the pack!